Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 378 Posts

·
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The time has come for an uncluttered thread concerning observations and findings - good and bad- concerning the SWAT XP.

At least 4 crossbows are in the hands of initial evaluators. Hopefully, we can keep this thread clear of political biases, etc or anything other than evaluations of this crossbow.

I expect that each of the evaluators will be doing at least a video(s) , written review or both. Most of us will be taking notes so this is an excellent place for including some of these notes and findings.

An example of findings could be such as follows:

“The dead silent cocker can likely be left in place while shooting at the range. This will save time. “

“ When using the Dead Silent cocker, unwinding 3-4 turns and moving the hooks forward, one at a time to a point that they are comparatively loose between the string and rail will reduce the chance of serving seperation”.

“There is no cable guide where the cables cross under the rail. This is a highly polished area which will likely not wear on the cables but will not reduce the friction of the cables rubbing against themselves. I’ve found that using a quality rail lub such as Rail Snot placed on the underside of the rail where the cables cross and the cables at this point also will eliminate any observable fraying of the cables/serving. 1,400 shots on the original SWAT and the cables here still look new. I did the same for the first 80-90 shots on the XP - no wear. Went without lub for the next 25+ shots and got fuzzing on the string here. Lub under the rail.”

LET’S KEEP IT CLEAN AND UNCLUTTERED1

·
Happy Member
5,281 Posts
What does the “XP” stand for?

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
462 Posts

String serving shifted where it gets clamped and the nock sits, nice to be able to lock out the cams, unstring and fill the void by using your thumbnail and moving the serving.

Speed was right there!

Weighed in as advertised (no scope)

Trigger is "Chris Kyle"... Just like the TT in my KI Machine, love it!

·
Happy Member
5,281 Posts
None of the servings are holding up in any of these extreme cocked bows. Not even Ten Point.

·
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
None of the servings are holding up in any of these extreme cocked bows. Not even Ten Point.

Boo and I just spent the past 30+ minutes discussing this very matter. Having used Boo strings for years, I’m convinced that after market strings can go a long way to alleviate this problem concerning the SWAT XP. Jerry Ratcliff has helped with the Nemesis serving problems.
I'm at 128 shots, the serving is still highly servicable. Since the cams can be easily locked out, the current shifting of serving can be easily managed.
‘At 128 shots the ATA has not moved any detectable amount and timing is still dead on. A year ago, when I tested a very high performance crossbow(470 advertised ) for only 100 shots, I had to time it twice; and, it was out again at the end of testing.
My opinion is that smaller and much tighter serving will eliminate or greatly reduce any serving seperation. This is an area of concern but the current situation is less serious than on some other high performance xbows.
I believe that Jerry has conqured the Nemesis serving seperation problem. Same likely can be done here.

·
Happy Member
5,281 Posts
The Nemesis has nowhere the acute string angle when cocked compared to this bow or the Ten Point bows. I believe we are at the point where string and servings need to be seriously addressed with the angle when cocked.

·
Registered
814 Posts
The string serving issue as evidenced already by the Swat XP Test Shooters is already a very good reason for KI to assess what they need to do different on the coming production models. Hopefully this gets addressed and rectified by them quickly.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Those inbound cams really changed the string angle. Sew keeps mentioning 1400 shots on his original swat but Im not sure that can be an honest comparison to this new model....

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
View attachment 180634
View attachment 180635

String serving shifted where it gets clamped and the nock sits, nice to be able to lock out the cams, unstring and fill the void by using your thumbnail and moving the serving.

View attachment 180637

View attachment 180636

Speed was right there!

View attachment 180638

Weighed in as advertised (no scope)

View attachment 180639

Trigger is "Chris Kyle"... Just like the TT in my KI Machine, love it!

View attachment 180640
1.5 lb trigger? Sweet!

·
8,157 Posts
Extreme … begins with an "E" not an "X". Should be SWAT EP! Don't we have enough linguistic issues around here already???:) Gonna have to bump up that speed about 70fps to get my money. :cool:

·
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
“Xtra- Performance”. That‘s how we spell it in Arkansas.

Back to the string/cables. Believe me, this has been a point of discussion between Don,Sam, Jeff, Jason and me for a good bit of the day. EVERYTHING else is getting accolades. I’m pretty well convinced that answers have already been discussed that will take care of this problem before the xbows are sent out to the dealers.

‘This is a very high performance crossbow. Yet, it doesn’t have the stresses that a # of other crossbows such as Ravin, some Ten Points, some Excaliburs, etc. This string and cable serving problem is likely not a major problem to rectify. The serving material is comparatively large and doesn’t appear to be as tightly wrapped as it could be.

Peole who have seen this bow are very impressed with the high detail of fit and finish. So far, everyone, evaluators and the dealer who shot it, has mentioned just how much they like the scope. The trigger is also, match grade!

More later.

·
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its that the serving is not on tight enough ! I've been making strings for the Nemesis and it's doing very well with my serving techniques. I'm astonished....
Yes, and you’re not alone.

1 - 20 of 378 Posts