Crossbow Nation banner

601 - 620 of 668 Posts

·
Vendor
1,612 Posts
That makes two of us, but I’m intrigued by airplanes.:)
I’ve often wondered at just how the spin rate affects xwind effects.

A possible parallel: benchrest shooting, especially short range, normally 6PPC.100-300 yards.
Almost invariably, the ability to accurately dope the wind - compensating for xwinds, even slightly for head and tail winds, is the key factor in winning. However, the slowest twist that can stabilize the bullet is normally used. Is there a parallel with an arrow? I don’t know.

Being that I routinely shoot to 80 yards, occasionally 100, I work at developing arrows that can better counter crosswinds. I normally fletch my own - 2219s and 2216s using a variety of fletchings and orientations. I use AL arrows due to their consistency of flight. This is for my testing, not hunting.

My finding with the SWAT, so that initial arrow stabilization is virtually eliminated, is that arrow overall weight (more the better), FOC (more the better) , fletching size (less the better), arrow speed (more the better) and broadhead size -actually side profile (less the better) are the primary factors at reducing xwind displacement.
The spin is basically a gyro effect, the more the spin the harder it will be for the wind to push the arrow off course.

But with that said the mirad of wind speeds,, density of air at differing degrees above sea level,, moisture in the air,, arrow spin rates,, vanes, shafts, bow speeds, point weights, nock weights to name a few of the things that would effect the outcome of testing make it virtually impossible to come up with a viable theory

Reactions: dynamo61

·
11,010 Posts
The spin is basically a gyro effect, the more the spin the harder it will be for the wind to push the arrow off course.

But with that said the mirad of wind speeds,, density of air at differing degrees above sea level,, moisture in the air,, arrow spin rates,, vanes, shafts, bow speeds, point weights, nock weights to name a few of the things that would effect the outcome of testing make it virtually impossible to come up with a viable theory
That’s why I stay away from that level of evaluations 😊

·
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #604
An update. I now have nearly 290 shots out of the 2 SWAT XPs. One is holding at 413 and the other at 407 ‘/sec.
‘Both are very accurate. Every evaluator agrees that the SWAT XP has extreme accuracy.

Scope. The range marks for 70-100 are inaccurate when sighted in for 20-60. Not unusual. The Hawke XP and TR530IL were quite good out past 80. The EvoX Gen 1 70 and 80 are way off. If a person is going to do serious shooting <60 yards, I think a single reticle scope/variable power has advantages. The little scope has surprisingly good low light capabilities. For hunting at 60 and below, it is really quite good.

Serving wear And opening! This has been the problem. Where we are now. I filed And polished the edges of the “infamous” 90 degree turn on the cam. Wear is eliminated. Slight serving opening occurs within the first few shots but never worsens. String serving wear where it comes off the cam - smoothing and polishing totally stops this. Serving opening on the string where the nock fits - twisting the string tighter Closes the serving almost completely. At 140 shots, it’s still very good. Summary - Danny’s strings/cables plus a few minutes at most smoothing the critical edges of the cam took away the problem.

The cams’ sharp edges , initially poor strings/cables and Clovid-19 greatly affected the introduction of a very unique and outstanding crossbow. It’s problems have been minuscule in comparison to some very expensive, high performance, big name crossbows. Still, this is a simple, tiny, very high performance, truly way too inexpensive , crossbow that should make its mark In the crossbow world.

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Did Ramrod and Moon post their evaluations for the Swat XP? I may have missed it.
Nope, have not seen their testing results yet.
Maybe still testing?

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Nope, have not seen their testing results yet.
Maybe still testing?
Last I heard Moon was getting his Micro ready for season. I haven't seen any of their evaluations yet either. Mainly just read ones opinion so far.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
11,010 Posts
I’ll post a few thoughts soon, including why I’m late getting it done. It is a combination of my limited physical condition and startup glitches with the crossbow similar to what SEW has already posted.

·
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #610 (Edited)
I was asked a question on another thread concerning the SWAT XP . I’ve copied that post for here as this is more
SEW

Joined Jan 14, 2009
4,490 Posts
#34 1 h ago
Robert,
‘Here’s a brief summary.

Initially supplied strings and cables (S&Cs) were too large in diameter. They rubbed the edges of the grooves in the cams and wore the serving quickly.

S&Cs were made with fewer strands and better servings. I smoothed and rounded the edges Of the cams where the wear was. No wear after nearly 200 shots on well lubed S&Cs.

Even slightly smaller diameter S&Cs have been tested with good results. I stayed with testing the 2 strands larger S&Cs since they’d likely show more wear as I’m working at finding problems.

‘The serving on the string right where the nock is has been having a problem opening about 1 serving strand distance. Twisting the string about 10 turns (tightening the serving) stopped/prevented this problem. However, after twisting my string, as recommended by Don, I only have about 30 shots on that same string with the serving now closed. But, it’s holding well.

Accuracy: about 30 shots @ 80 yards out of the SWAT and XP were a virtual tie at about 1” with Jerry’s arrows and 2” with factory arrows.

Danny Miller’s Baby Bumper string stops quieten the XP even more. The XP is significantly quieter than the R29 X and the Vengent 470.

Final speeds: virtually all higher performance crossbows loose some speed after the first few shots even when returned to ATA if any had been lost. I think it’s primarily limbs . Don’s and mine are staying at 413 and my other and Moon’s are at 405-407. That’s less loss, by far, than I experienced with my Aculeus 460 (458 ->441) and never saw anything close to expected speeds (taking into account the actual weight of the arrows) of Nitro XRT regardless of ATA setting.

So, my SWAT XPs with a little smoothing and polishing of critical cam areas and using the Danny Miller S&Cs are working perfectly and have been. This is a sample size of two. To me, this crossbow is as ideal as possible for what I want in a crossbow.

·
1,468 Posts
I was asked a question on another thread concerning the SWAT XP . I’ve copied that post for here as this is more
SEW

Joined Jan 14, 2009
4,490 Posts
#34 1 h ago
Robert,
‘Here’s a brief summary.

Initially supplied strings and cables (S&Cs) were too large in diameter. They rubbed the edges of the grooves in the cams and wore the serving quickly.

S&Cs were made with fewer strands and better servings. I smoothed and rounded the edges Of the cams where the wear was. No wear after nearly 200 shots on well lubed S&Cs.

Even slightly smaller diameter S&Cs have been tested with good results. I stayed with testing the 2 strands larger S&Cs since they’d likely show more wear as I’m working at finding problems.

‘The serving on the string right where the nock is has been having a problem opening about 1 serving strand distance. Twisting the string about 10 turns (tightening the serving) stopped/prevented this problem. However, after twisting my string, as recommended by Don, I only have about 30 shots on that same string with the serving now closed. But, it’s holding well.

Accuracy: about 30 shots @ 80 yards out of the SWAT and XP were a virtual tie at about 1” with Jerry’s arrows and 2” with factory arrows.

Danny Miller’s Baby Bumper string stops quieten the XP even more. The XP is significantly quieter than the R29 X and the Vengent 470.

Final speeds: virtually all higher performance crossbows loose some speed after the first few shots even when returned to ATA if any had been lost. I think it’s primarily limbs . Don’s and mine are staying at 413 and my other and Moon’s are at 405-407. That’s less loss, by far, than I experienced with my Aculeus 460 (458 ->441) and never saw anything close to expected speeds (taking into account the actual weight of the arrows) of Nitro XRT regardless of ATA setting.

So, my SWAT XPs with a little smoothing and polishing of critical cam areas and using the Danny Miller S&Cs are working perfectly and have been. This is a sample size of two. To me, this crossbow is as ideal as possible for what I want in a crossbow.
Especially at the price point they are being listed at, let alone being sold at.

·
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #614
Would not using fewer strands result in lighter strings and cables and a increase in speed?
I think so. The speeds of the various XPs have been between 405 and 418. Since I’m trying to duplicate what will actually be getting into customers’ hands, I have my ATAs at 14” - 14 1/16” with the current 4 strands thicker S&Cs. This is like a worse case situation: more likelihood of serving wear and a slower speed. There is no observable serving wear and speeds are well within an acceptable range. The lighter strings should be faster.

·
1,468 Posts
I've only made on string for the XP and did not realize any real speed increase, but a tiny amount nonetheless. I've seen greater increases with several strand string reductions in recurves. But I can see how there would be less of a reaction because the cables are reeled in and the string is reeled in while being flung forward. In a recurve the whole string gets flung forward and being lighter and thinner would mean less air friction as well as less inertia for the limbs to overcome. I'm sure string angle has much to do with speed gains as well.

·
11,010 Posts
Sorry I didn’t get around tonight to posting my initial thoughts on the XP. I hope to get It done tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I am looking forward to your observations.

Reactions: KTownKiller

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
The selling point for me on this bow will be its ability or not to shoot fixxed blade heads with more accuracy than any of the bows Im shooting now. Sounds like price point is falling fast in certain areas.

·
11,010 Posts
SEW’s extensive long term testing has shown that the SWAT enclosed barrel design does minimize POI variations of different broadheads.

601 - 620 of 668 Posts