Crossbow Nation banner

621 - 640 of 668 Posts

·
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #621 (Edited)
UPDATE.

Now over 300 shots, over 200 shots on new S&Cs. Used Trident silicone on cables under the rail, the string track, and the S&Cs. Over 50 shots and still like I just put it on. If there’s a reason to not use it, don’t deflate my bubble: I love it.

60 yards - field points, 6 shots<1”
80 yards - field points, 6 shots 1”
100 yards - field points 4 shots 3-4”. ??? Tried again, the same. No idea why. The original SWAT kept 2” 4 arrows with the same design Jerry arrows but had flat plastic nocks. I will retest the XP but use 125g points. The SWAT arrows have a slightly higher FOC.
60 yards - 100g Slick Tricks vs field points. ST 1” low and 1/2” right (due to spin of arrow). Only shot 2 STs as both buried the fletching into the 18-1. Shot at 2 different dots. They grouped <1/2”. This is the same type of performance as the SWAT gave.

‘Out to 80 yards the SWAT vs SWAT XP accuracy is a tie. The 100 yard inaccuracy (all vertical) will be explored.

The ST wasn’t vertical because the spin on the blades pulled it right. If an expandible, that has some blade exposure, is initially sighted in (such as the TruGlo 4-blade expandible) , then the ST would drop vertically vertical 1” @60, 2“@ 80 4“@ 100.

Both of my SWAT XPs are performing perfectly and have been. Once there is familiarization with the crank cocker , the crossbow just grows on a person. Only negative I’ve really noticed is that the supplied scope/rings might sit too low for most users. The Optimizer/Duralyt is of a perfect height. Hi or extra high rings would help the supplied scope.

One of the 2 SWATs is being kept totally stock just as it comes including mounted quiver. It will be used as a demonstrator at the Twisted Arrow in Poplar Bluff, MO until Jim gets his bows in. We are filming videos, the last of which is Monday morning.
‘The other is being mod‘d as I want: no stirrup, no quiver, Optimizer/2x8 Duralyt, Danny Miller baby bumpers, Jerry arrows and TruGlo 4-blade expandibles.

Unless, until the X25 comes out, I doubt that I’ll get another xbow for a long time.

·
11,010 Posts
Just to be clear, at nearly 78 with health problems resulting from a stroke 4.5 years ago and worsening, my comments on the SWAT XP will in no way be even close to the fantastically detailed posts submitted by SEW.

I have only shot this XP a total of about 30 times, using 22” supplied SWAT arrows and, already, I can see what SEW has been telling us all along about the SWAT enclosed arrow configuration is true. This crossbow puts them all in the dot!! (y) But first I will start at the beginning of opening the box and initial evaluation.

I mounted the supplied scope, which is a neat little 30mm tube scope with clear, crisp optics but no designation numbers on each aiming points. The short rings places the scope too low for my stiff old neck so I removed it and installed one of my tried and true Zeiss Z-Points red dot sights on an HHA Optimizer. Took care of that problem:). If I can dig up a set of tall rings, I’ll put the KI scope back on the XP and give it a trial run. I’ll list it’s features at that time.

My first 5 shots showed cable problems, a fuzzy unserved section where the cable was rubbing on the edge of the crossbow’s barrel cable slot. I thought it was unusual that there was no cable slide as we’ve seen on other crossbows over the years. I received a set of cables from Danny Miller. Problem solved. The other problem is with the 90 degree bend the cables have to endure on the cams but Danny’s cables are holding up well there too. SEW posted that he smoothed out the edges of the 90 degree bends and it made a big difference is serving durability. My partially useless right hand won’t allow me to do lots of intricate stuff I used to do so I can’t do what SEW did to his.

The XP’s 200 lb draw weight makes it impossible for me to even think about using the supplied rope cocker, so on to the detachable crank cocker. It is a 2 to 1 type crank making it difficult for
me to use. I took care of that by lengthening the crank handle 2.5”. Now I can manage it. A 4 to 1 crank would be nice.

The XP’s dimensions and weight has already been posted so I won’t list those again. Light weight and small size are more important to me now than ever before. The XP is not the smallest or lightest weight crossbow available but it’s close:) I can live with it. I did remove the fairly heavy foot stirrup and replaced the solid string stop rods with carbon tubular shafts. I can actually shoot it offhand using just my left hand while standing.

As the XP came out of the box, I chrono’d 4oo grain arrows at 406 FPS.
ATA was 14”. For my use, taking the above into consideration, I guess one would not be surprised that I’d like to slow the XP down to about 360 FPS. Danny sent me cables that increased the ATA TO 14.25”. That lowered the speed to 394 FPS with a 400 grain arrow and 389 FPS with a 425 grain arrow. I think cables that increase the ATA to 14.5” to 14 5/8” will get it into the 360 FPS range thereby making it easier to crank cock. We will see.

I’ll post more later. For now, I think the 3 best features of the XP are:

ACCURACY CONSISTENCY WITH VARIOUS ARROWS

SMALL SIZE

$899 PRICE

·
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #623 (Edited)
Wapster, the SWAT/SWAT XP will shoot the 100g ST and 125g Grizz Trick extremely well. Haven’t tested others.

A real test will be testing to see if the SWAT can accurately shoot 125g Thunderheads. Not since the Equinox and PSE Foxfire 1/2 could I get decent accuracy with a long , fixed BH. Short - yes, but long - no. I’ll try shooting the 145g Bear Super Razorhead which I’ve not been able to get to shoot well since the FoxFire days.

·
Happy Member
5,347 Posts
Why would you change the scope if you’re testing a bow for the manufacturer? I think they want to know everything about the bow including their scope.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

Reactions: robertyb

·
1,299 Posts
Why would you change the scope if you’re testing a bow for the manufacturer? I think they want to know everything about the bow including their scope.

The manufacturer is getting test results of the stock bow and scope. Moon is just showing what is comfortable to him, AND, it is Moon that is recommending that the manufacturer uses taller scope rings which I totally agree with. I am sure results of the stock bow/scope with videos will appear soon.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Thanks for your observations Moon.

Reactions: KTownKiller

·
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #628
#625 37 m ago
Why would you change the scope if you’re testing a bow for the manufacturer? I think they want to know everything about the bow including the scope.

Excalibur Micro 335 Nightmare, Trophy Ridge XV530IR Scope, 16.5” Zombie Slayer Arrows, Muzzy HB Ti Broadheads & Mission MXB 360
Trophy Ridge XV530IR Scope
22” BE Executioner Arrows
RaptorTrick Broadheads”

The Crossbow is extremely unique in virtually every respect. Package scopes, arrows etc are rarely used by serious xbow enthusiasts. If the stock scope/rings adversely affect the testing of the crossbow itself, testing with something more user friendly is needed. Tom is right handed with an impaired right hand and is shooting left handed. To test the primary part of the xbow, he needed to make modifications.Being that 3 of the 5 evaluators (Including Danny Miller) stated that they’d like to tone the bow down a bit , it’s good Moon is doing this.

Not that he needed to do this, but he even asked if he could test it with lower poundage cables and a different scope and was told , ‘yes”.

I’m doing it both ways but have no disabilities below my head ;). I’m testing how I want the bow for hunting and just how it comes, including arrows.

The best I can tell, you can appreciate that staying totally stock isn’t necessarily ideal in that your crossbows seem to be upgraded significantly.

·
Happy Member
5,347 Posts
There’s a big difference Sew! I’m not testing a crossbow for any manufacturer! I would think the manufacturer wants honest testing on the complete package that they are going to sell! Wow you guys are remarkable for real world and unbiased testing for KI. Go on with your informercial now.

·
11,010 Posts
I hope to get down to the farm in the next few days to shoot some fixed blade and mechanical broadheads.

BTW, I stumbled over a pair of tall Zeiss scope rings :giggle:

Trigger on the XP is very nice.

·
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #633
There’s a big difference Sew! I’m not testing a crossbow for any manufacturer! I would think the manufacturer wants honest testing on the complete package that they are going to sell! Wow you guys are remarkable for real world and unbiased testing for KI. Go on with your informercial now.

Before you go into a disgusting attack mode, you need to read the posts that are discussing what is being done. I’m testing the bow totally stock and mod’d like I want .

AT THE REQUEST OF KI AND OLDFLYER!!!

‘’They want it shown what it will do stock and what it’s capable of if accessorized as I want it. I was specifically asked to do this.

I have taken Over an entire month out of my life, day and night, in order to help work through the very unanticipated problems that presented. Shot hours on end in sweltering heat, testing strings/cables arrows, cam Modifications, evaluating the scope, etc.. Hours back and forth with Danny Miller, Don, KI CEO, etc..
To remove any sense of privilege, testing to get something, etc, some time ago I paid for these bows just as I paid for the 2 SWATs from dealers. KI didn’t expect that I’d pay for these also. That’s how I do things. I even paid Danny Miller for his postage and test strings and cables!

IT SEEMS IMPOSSIBLE TO JUST HAVE A PLEASANT INFORMATIVE THREAD WITHOUT CRITICISM, PUT DOWNS AND INSULTS.

I apologize that I’m incapable of properly reporting what I’m doing to meet your satisfaction.m

·
Happy Member
5,347 Posts
Before you go into a disgusting attack mode, you need to read the posts that are discussing what is being done. I’m testing the bow totally stock and mod’d like I want .

AT THE REQUEST OF KI AND OLDFLYER!!!

‘’They want it shown what it will do stock and what it’s capable of if accessorized as I want it. I was specifically asked to do this.

I have taken Over an entire month out of my life, day and night, in order to help work through the very unanticipated problems that presented. Shot hours on end in sweltering heat, testing strings/cables arrows, cam Modifications, evaluating the scope, etc.. Hours back and forth with Danny Miller, Don, KI CEO, etc..
To remove any sense of privilege, testing to get something, etc, some time ago I paid for these bows just as I paid for the 2 SWATs from dealers. KI didn’t expect that I’d pay for these also. That’s how I do things. I even paid Danny Miller for his postage and test strings and cables!

IT SEEMS IMPOSSIBLE TO JUST HAVE A PLEASANT INFORMATIVE THREAD WITHOUT CRITICISM, PUT DOWNS AND INSULTS.

I apologize that I’m incapable of properly reporting what I’m doing to meet your satisfaction.m
Bit sensitive? Where was there an insult? I asked an honest question. It’s ok, carry on with your infomercial.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I May be in the market but just not this year. Too late for me as I leave in 3 weeks for my western hunt. Really interested though!!

621 - 640 of 668 Posts