Crossbow Nation banner

161 - 180 of 216 Posts

·
advanced member
1,658 Posts
Okay, I have done some cleanup on the last several pages to clean this thread up at the OP's request. It is much easier for me to just ban those that are taking away from the thread's intended topic in the future and sometimes I will opt for the simple method. Please try to keep the thread on track.
Thanks for the heads up FoxFire2. In earlier days Specialized would not have been that gentle. You know I always feel tread on a little when Specialized road the forum but watching this I sort of miss it. Got to have some sort of order to plow ahead. Thanks to the Contributors. It IS a good informative tread in spite of the clutter.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I’m one that fully appreciates what Sew, Jeff and the others are doing in terms of trialing the new Swat XP as they all have credibility with me. Also applaud the Admin for stepping in. As an FYI I’m interested in all the data and info related to most new products and like seeing it kept positive. I’m very interested in this crossbow for it’s potential long range accuracy! That said I’m also one of those guys who totally enjoys my Nemesis. It is simply the best performing crossbow I’ve ever owned in terms of accuracy and reliability shooting consistent X Rings at 80 yards of the 10 different crossbows I’ve owned. Very interested in the Swat XP for the same reasons!

·
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #163 (Edited)
I know some of you are bored and in need of entertainment....
This thread is for everyone's benefit. KI, Jeff and especially you the readers/members will benefit.
If you read Steve's posts, you might detect that he's not happy with the distractions. I cant blame him but just think of how helpfula and cordial he normally is.
Consider Jeff. This is his lifestyle work. He isn't a spring chicken and his health is failing.
So I am pleading with everyone to act more responsibly and in a more mature, CONTRIBUTING manner. It will be greatly appreciated! I don't think I'm asking for a whole lot.
Just for clarification.......

My frustration was centered primarily on the negativity directed towards Jeff’s decades of work. I’m normally a very gentle person; however, negativity for negativity’s sake is unacceptable to me. Jeff has had a hard time getting this version of his design to production. His design is brilliant! He is brilliant and very nice. This criticism is undeserved.

The negative terms and characterizations of those evaluating the crossbow is childish and unwarranted. As ALWAYS when those who are called to task on their statements, no answers are given. My thought: get a life!

Marty, I hadn’t even considered the 3 rear ends as negative. After 52 years, I’ll stay with the brunette. Iron Duke brings oft needed comic relief and deep insight. He’s one of my favorite people..

I know Don and Tom really well and have for years. Mike and Sam to a lesser degree but have great respect for them also. Attack these people and you’ve aroused my ire. Attack Jeff and his design, his life’s work just for the fun of it, publically; and you’ve really made me mad. When gentle, but convicted people get mad, they often get really mad!

Now, I’m back to being “helpful and cordial”. Unless...

Now, I’m really disappointed that this string/serving problem occured. However, fortunately, the problem with the serving is easily identifiable - too big, too loose. Overall diameter of string and serving is slightly too large for the cams.
‘This doesn’t appear to be a problem of a serving eating design; rather, just a poorly made string and cable set. I’m pretty confident that a very acceptable, mass produced set can be obtained. Likely, there’ll be those who will want great aftermarket strings and cables also (I may be one); but I think the ones currently being developed will be highly satisfactory. Thank you Don for overseeing this!

This is a very unique crossbow which will certainly fit the bill for many.

·
Banned
5,272 Posts
Why don’t you quit crying and continue on about the bow? You get whatever opinions because it’s a public forum. If you don’t like criticism then don’t post on a public forum. You want everyone else to steer the course while you are the only one to keep regurgitating your personal feelings while others shouldn’t.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ironminer

·
Vendor
1,532 Posts
Why don’t you quit crying and continue on about the bow? You get whatever opinions because it’s a public forum. If you don’t like criticism then don’t post on a public forum. You want everyone else to steer the course while you are the only one to keep regurgitating your personal feelings while others shouldn’t.

Are you serious?

Im sorry but the attacks and belittling are getting very old

There are a few here that do nothing constructive and it seems the goal is to disrupt, attack and belittle.

There is a hugh difference in constructive criticism, differing opinions and attacking anothers character.

Good God how hard is it to just be nice?

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Just for clarification.......

My frustration was centered primarily on the negativity directed towards Jeff’s decades of work. I’m normally a very gentle person; however, negativity for negativity’s sake is unacceptable to me. Jeff has had a hard time getting this version of his design to production. His design is brilliant! He is brilliant and very nice. This criticism is undeserved.

The negative terms and characterizations of those evaluating the crossbow is childish and unwarranted. As ALWAYS when those who are called to task on their statements, no answers are given. My thought: get a life!

Marty, I hadn’t even considered the 3 rear ends as negative. After 52 years, I’ll stay with the brunette. Iron Duke brings oft needed comic relief and deep insight. He’s one of my favorite people..

I know Don and Tom really well and have for years. Mike and Sam to a lesser degree but have great respect for them also. Attack these people and you’ve aroused my ire. Attack Jeff and his design, his life’s work just for the fun of it, publically; and you’ve really made me mad. When gentle, but convicted people get mad, they often get really get mad.

Now, I’m back to being “helpful and cordial”. Unless...

Now, I’m really disappointed that this string/serving problem occured. However, fortunately, the problem with the serving is easily identifiable - too big, too loose. Overall diameter of string and serving is slightly too large for the cams.
‘This doesn’t appear to be a problem of a serving eating design; rather, just a poorly made string and cable set. I’m pretty confident that a very acceptable, mass produced set can be obtained. Likely, there’ll be those who will want great aftermarket strings and cables also (I may be one); but I think the ones currently being developed will be highly satisfactory. Thank you Don for overseeing this!

This is a very unique crossbow which will certainly fit the bill for many.
Here's an idea,just for the fun of it! When you get the new strings/cables,how about you send Marty the old set,so he can have the proper lengths and take a stab at making a set? I know he would enjoy the challenge and he would be ahead of the game when others may want "handmade" strings in the future! Besides,it would help him out to....
He makes one hell of a string!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Are you serious?

There are a few here that do nothing constructive and it seems the goal is to disrupt, attack and belittle.

There is a hugh difference in constructive criticism, differing opinions and attacking anothers character.

+1
please keep it factual and provide feedback that ends up in a better crossbow. Negative comments won't help anyone here.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A715F met Tapatalk

·
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
NDPronghorn,
I love my Aculeus 460 also. The SWAT, SWAT XP - yet to be determined, and the Scorpyd are neck and neck for potential accuracy. The SWAT will shoot a wider variety of arrows/broadheads accurately, but absolute accuracy, I think SWAT but the difference is minuscule. We’ll need to wait for strings and cables for SWAT XP accuracy. Though 30+’/sec will help for better trajectory, I doubt that the XP will be any more accurate than the SWAT.

·
Registered
4 Posts
NDPronghorn,
I love my Aculeus 460 also. The SWAT, SWAT XP - yet to be determined, and the Scorpyd are neck and neck for potential accuracy. The SWAT will shoot a wider variety of arrows/broadheads accurately, but absolute accuracy, I think SWAT but the difference is minuscule. We’ll need to wait for strings and cables for SWAT XP accuracy. Though 30+’/sec will help for better trajectory, I doubt that the XP will be any more accurate than the SWAT.
Why do you feel the swat xp will shoot a wider variety of arrows and broadheads?

·
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Why do you feel the swat xp will shoot a wider variety of arrows and broadheads?
‘Good question. Archer’s paradox has historically been a factor in archery, vertical and horizontal. It definitely is a factor that must be dealt with. That is until the enclosed riser developed by Jeff A decades ago. The SWAT was the first commercial crossbow with an enclosed rail. This enclosed rail, actually barrel, minimizes flexing of the arrow during launch.
I treat my crossbows a lot like benchrest rifles. Did the same with vertical compounds. The SWAT is very broadhead tolerant. It shoots just whatever about the same as long as the weight is the same. Not so, with open railed or no railed crossbows. Archer’s paradox affects different broadheads differently. Arrow spine matching is less critical, etc.
‘The XP has the same barrel, just slightly shorter.
‘Hope this helps.

·
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Here's an idea,just for the fun of it! When you get the new strings/cables,how about you send Marty the old set,so he can have the proper lengths and take a stab at making a set? I know he would enjoy the challenge and he would be ahead of the game when others may want "handmade" strings in the future! Besides,it would help him out to....
He makes one hell of a string!!!
‘There’s no question, Marty has developed quite a reputation in a comparatively short time. A # of the higher performance crossbows have received high quality , aftermarket strings. There will be a market!
‘First order though , as you inferred also, is to get some “factory “ strings/cables that are acceptably good, hopefully excellent. Under Don’s oversight/coordination with an excellent , mass string maker, I‘m confident this will happen. Then, I expect that Jerry, Marty, maybe Don, other quality aftermarket string makers/companies to enter the picture. With the SWAT XP , the cables are likely more challenging than the string.

·
1,420 Posts
Steve, do you still have that painted arrow with the scuff mark at the center? Above all else, that is what sold me!

Reactions: SEW and dynamo61

·
Banned
5,272 Posts
Are you serious?

Jerry mind your own business! Don’t call me out with your high and mighty benevolent attitude on a thread that has nothing to do with you!

·
Banned
5,272 Posts
The release date was June, then July, then August? Reminds me of another bow with the same expectations. What’s the release date now?

·
Registered
1 Posts
You get whatever opinions because it’s a public forum. If you don’t like criticism then don’t post on a public forum. You want everyone else to steer the course while you are the only one to keep regurgitating your personal feelings while others shouldn’t.

Jerry mind your own business! Don’t call me out with your high and mighty benevolent attitude on a thread that has nothing to do with you!

Really!

·
Registered
214 Posts
SEW and Jeff
Can you two speak more about the Barrel please.
My question is about lubing the rail / rails /tube.
Im wondering if it makes sense to lube all or part of the surfaces that
can potentially rub the arrow or string.
I had a mental picture of sticking a rifle like bore swabbing tool covered in scorpyd venom
down the barrel ( VERY unsafe as bow would need to be cocked to do this )
So the whole area that a flexing arrow could contact is lubed to reduce friction
I never tried this on a SWAT in our shop , but just wondered if this has merit .
To answer part of my own question I would worry about dust / grit sticking to the surfaces
but asking a honest question is better than being one to those here who posts to
spread bad karma.
Great Job on this project .. Thanks for doing it .
Im sure Jason appreciates all the team is doing for KI
Dave

·
1,230 Posts
SEW and Jeff
Can you two speak more about the Barrel please.
My question is about lubing the rail / rails /tube.
Im wondering if it makes sense to lube all or part of the surfaces that
can potentially rub the arrow or string.
I had a mental picture of sticking a rifle like bore swabbing tool covered in scorpyd venom
down the barrel ( VERY unsafe as bow would need to be cocked to do this )
So the whole area that a flexing arrow could contact is lubed to reduce friction
I never tried this on a SWAT in our shop , but just wondered if this has merit .
To answer part of my own question I would worry about dust / grit sticking to the surfaces
but asking a honest question is better than being one to those here who posts to
spread bad karma.
Great Job on this project .. Thanks for doing it .
Im sure Jason appreciates all the team is doing for KI
Dave
Dave
Don't lube the bore of the barrel or any other part of it. As you said, it will attract dirt and abrasive grit. To take it a step further, don't "wax" your arrows either. Wax deposits in the bore with gum it up. The production cables will be served in the area wear it rubs the lower portion of the bottom rail. You can use lube on that portion of the cable and string servings if you wish, but don't over due it.

161 - 180 of 216 Posts