Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As may be apparent, I like the SWAT and SWAT XP.

A few comments first:
I realize that I place a much greater emphasis on extreme accuracy than most crossbow shooters. Extreme accuracy first drew me to the SWAT . Secondly, mechanical efficiency is also a serious draw to me. The original had this and the XP even more. The comparatively low price is just an added bonus. Simplicity, light weight, very small size , safety, lifetime warranty, actual feel, balance are additional plus‘s.

I’ve been teaching the NASP program to 5-9th graders. I have to talk slowly and distinctly to them. Unfortunately, I feel I did the same on the video - talked even slower than this Arkansan normally does.

Near the end of the video, I made two shots: 60 and 80 yards. I used discretion and didn’t make a 100 yard shot. Due to the length of the video, the 60 yard shot was edited out but the arrow is still in the target.

The video cameraman arrived rather late in the morning. The temp was 92 degrees when we started. 96 when we finished. Gnats and mosquitoes were having a good time.
I hope the video will answer any unanswered questions.

PS Disclaimer : I bought both of my SWATs on the open market and paid KI for my XPs even though that wasn’t expected. My interest, etc of the SWAT/SWAT XP is strictly based on the merits of the crossbows. Nothing else.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Thanks for sharing, but I a have question. After a hunt, I assume the crossbow will need to be shot or can you de-cock it? Please describe the unloading process. Thanks

Reactions: dynamo61 and SEW

·
1,480 Posts
Thanks for sharing, but I a have question. After a hunt, I assume the crossbow will need to be shot or can you de-cock it? Please describe the unloading process. Thanks
Make sure the bow is on "SAFE" (You might have had the bow on "FIRE" because you were going to take a shot and if that's the case, move safety to "SAFE" first.) Point the bow on a downward angle. Push the arrow load lever at the top of the butt stock to let your arrow slide out. Load an old field tipped arrow or KI's de-coking arrow and shoot the bow either into the ground or target. I have always shot an old aluminum arrow into the ground.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Loved the vid! Good to put a face with a name. Your voice was fine. You sounded like a teacher...which is exactly what you are for a lot of us. Now I’m really excited to receive my XP. Should be here within a week. This is my eighth crossbow purchase in 2 years and probably my last until the X25 is produced. Thanks for introducing me to Jeff’s bows.

·
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Infomercial just like all of your posts about the XP. No big surprise here.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk
In my thread opener, I did my best to explain the reasons for my interest in the SWAT/SWAT XP. Infomercials are generally done for finincial remuneration. Many product reviews are done with some type of free or reduced price stuff included. This is very common in the crossbow world. As early stated, I paid for my SWATs and SWAT XPs; and I even paid Danny Miller for his test strings and cables which he certainly didn‘t expect nor request.
I like the crossbow for the many reasons I’ve tried to explain to the best of my ability.
It’s obvious that this gets on your nerves. You might consider just skipping any posts I make concerning this subject.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Infomercial just like all of your posts about the XP. No big surprise here.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk
SEW put a tremendous amount of time into this bow, I love how passionate he is about it and he is sharing his experience and honest opinion. I think many passionate crossbow hunters and shooters will appreciate the time and effort that Steve put into this bow and this video, especially those of us that produce crossbow reviews, this is a fantastic production and I greatly respect how well done it is. Thank's for all of your time and effort, Steve! Outstanding video to help fellow crossbow hunters and shooters with awareness, safety and function! Not sure how anyone could be negative towards someone taking the time sharing so much crossbow experience and knowledge to help those new to crossbows or those that have been crossbow enthusiasts for many years.

·
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We both have a BD400 and for most of its time with me, it had an Optimizer/Duralyte 2x8. Currently a Zeiss XB75. Wonderful xbow that can be decocked.(y)
Now, to the SWAT/SWAT XP and why it can’t be decocked. Basically the answer seems to be that it doesn‘t have a traveling trigger block (which I don’t want because of complexity/potential problems). The narrow string angle, the anti dryfire mechanism, and cocking device all present obstacles to being able to decock w/o firing.
KI undestands fully the desirability of decocking verses shooting to unload. Jason, KI CEO, has personally stated that this is an important marketing aspect in the current crossbow market.
For myself, loving simplicity, I am more than willing to just shoot a “decocking “ arrow into the ground or target.
Maybe Oldflyer can give more insight.

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
I still think it gets down to the Indian more than the arrow.

I believe a skilled shooter could make a poor crossbow group reasonably well, whereas a hacker could probably shoot poor groups with a fine tuned instrument.

·
1,480 Posts
I still think it gets down to the Indian more than the arrow.

I believe a skilled shooter could make a poor crossbow group reasonably well, whereas a hacker could probably shoot poor groups with a fine tuned instrument.
I am not being sarcastic here, but I going to assume that you have never shot one of the old Barnett Demons.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
In my thread opener, I did my best to explain the reasons for my interest in the SWAT/SWAT XP. Infomercials are generally done for finincial remuneration. Many product reviews are done with some type of free or reduced price stuff included. This is very common in the crossbow world. As early stated, I paid for my SWATs and SWAT XPs; and I even paid Danny Miller for his test strings and cables which he certainly didn‘t expect nor request.
I like the crossbow for the many reasons I’ve tried to explain to the best of my ability.
It’s obvious that this gets on your nerves. You might consider just skipping any posts I make concerning this subject.
Well done, Steve.
Thanks for your hard work in presenting this well engineered xbow to us in great detail.
Whether or not you are paid is not important to me.
You have spent countless hours over the past few months testing and reporting to us "live".
Not much anyone else could ask for, IMO.

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
I may have missed it but I didn’t hear mention about the trigger - which I believe can make or break accuracy for any crossbow.

Having the shaft hit the inside of the barrel would seem to have the same effect as a bobsled slowing down if it hit the wall coming down the ice track.

It sure is short though. (y)

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
I may have missed it but I didn’t hear mention about the trigger - which I believe can make or break accuracy for any crossbow.

Having the shaft hit the inside of the barrel would seem to have the same effect as a bobsled slowing down if it hit the wall coming down the ice track.

You must have skipped over it cause he spent a little time going over what a nice trigger it has.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Thanks for all the testers and there input ESPECIALLY Steve very well done.We have to sort thru the hateful attatudes and do what is best for us. Nobody is making anyone watch or read what is posted here it is for the benefit of people with a little sense that are interested in what is being said. If you don't agree or like what is going on with this thread do us that are a favor and move on without interrupting our willingnes to listen and learn.

·
Registered
90 Posts

TP,
the trigger was mentioned And the original Swat has an amazing trigger. You are correct that the trigger is a most important factor in accurate shooting. The barrel contact may slow things a bit but I suspect the arrow is still under the string propulsion when the contact is made. Either way it chronos at its advertised velocity.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts