Crossbow Nation banner

SWAT XP Overview Video

7K views 55 replies 25 participants last post by  Piedmont 
#1 · (Edited)
As may be apparent, I like the SWAT and SWAT XP.

A few comments first:
I realize that I place a much greater emphasis on extreme accuracy than most crossbow shooters. Extreme accuracy first drew me to the SWAT . Secondly, mechanical efficiency is also a serious draw to me. The original had this and the XP even more. The comparatively low price is just an added bonus. Simplicity, light weight, very small size , safety, lifetime warranty, actual feel, balance are additional plus‘s.

I’ve been teaching the NASP program to 5-9th graders. I have to talk slowly and distinctly to them. Unfortunately, I feel I did the same on the video - talked even slower than this Arkansan normally does.

Near the end of the video, I made two shots: 60 and 80 yards. I used discretion and didn’t make a 100 yard shot. Due to the length of the video, the 60 yard shot was edited out but the arrow is still in the target.

The video cameraman arrived rather late in the morning. The temp was 92 degrees when we started. 96 when we finished. Gnats and mosquitoes were having a good time.
I hope the video will answer any unanswered questions.

PS Disclaimer : I bought both of my SWATs on the open market and paid KI for my XPs even though that wasn’t expected. My interest, etc of the SWAT/SWAT XP is strictly based on the merits of the crossbows. Nothing else.

See less See more
This post has been deleted
#9 · (Edited)
In my thread opener, I did my best to explain the reasons for my interest in the SWAT/SWAT XP. Infomercials are generally done for finincial remuneration. Many product reviews are done with some type of free or reduced price stuff included. This is very common in the crossbow world. As early stated, I paid for my SWATs and SWAT XPs; and I even paid Danny Miller for his test strings and cables which he certainly didn‘t expect nor request.
I like the crossbow for the many reasons I’ve tried to explain to the best of my ability.
It’s obvious that this gets on your nerves. You might consider just skipping any posts I make concerning this subject.

#4 ·
Thanks for sharing, but I a have question. After a hunt, I assume the crossbow will need to be shot or can you de-cock it? Please describe the unloading process. Thanks

Reactions: dynamo61 and SEW
#6 ·
Make sure the bow is on "SAFE" (You might have had the bow on "FIRE" because you were going to take a shot and if that's the case, move safety to "SAFE" first.) Point the bow on a downward angle. Push the arrow load lever at the top of the butt stock to let your arrow slide out. Load an old field tipped arrow or KI's de-coking arrow and shoot the bow either into the ground or target. I have always shot an old aluminum arrow into the ground.

#8 ·
Loved the vid! Good to put a face with a name. Your voice was fine. You sounded like a teacher...which is exactly what you are for a lot of us. Now I’m really excited to receive my XP. Should be here within a week. This is my eighth crossbow purchase in 2 years and probably my last until the X25 is produced. Thanks for introducing me to Jeff’s bows.

#13 ·
I still think it gets down to the Indian more than the arrow.

I believe a skilled shooter could make a poor crossbow group reasonably well, whereas a hacker could probably shoot poor groups with a fine tuned instrument.

#17 ·
I may have missed it but I didn’t hear mention about the trigger - which I believe can make or break accuracy for any crossbow.

Having the shaft hit the inside of the barrel would seem to have the same effect as a bobsled slowing down if it hit the wall coming down the ice track.

It sure is short though. (y)

#19 ·
Thanks for all the testers and there input ESPECIALLY Steve very well done.We have to sort thru the hateful attatudes and do what is best for us. Nobody is making anyone watch or read what is posted here it is for the benefit of people with a little sense that are interested in what is being said. If you don't agree or like what is going on with this thread do us that are a favor and move on without interrupting our willingnes to listen and learn.

#28 · (Edited)
TPCollins,
The technology has been proven in the SWAT - for over 4 years. The XP has 2 additional factors that actually could be problematic: )1 the deep grooved cams which WILL chafe larger strings and cables. Factory supplied S&Cs have been improved considerably. If needed, slight contouring of the cam groove edges will allow even oversized S&Cs to work. And 2) the limbs. A lot is being asked of these limbs! My XP is shooting 426/402.6g arrow. 4 that were tested this week at the Twisted Arrow in PB, MO tested 425,429,429,432.
That’s a lot of speed and stress on such a little bow.
Personally, and I can speak for Don and Tom, I think, we all are going to put on cables and string that reduce the performance some - Don is at 385/425, Tom’s not finished yet on where he’s going - currently 407/400, me - I’m planning on 375-380/445g on one and leaving the 426 where it is and shooting 445g arrows.
Long term limb integrity remains to be seen. The S&C initial chafing seems to be history.

I have 2 favorite xbows : Aculeus and the 3 SWATs. The SWAT trigger is a little better. The Aculeus trigger was perfect until I got the SWAT.

#42 ·
Yes we have! Since we all got bows that had been used in testing, much of it destructive testing, yes, we got some slivers. Now that we all have production bows, there have bern no slivers, breaks, etc. And, these bows are shooting much faster - the bows tested last week at The Twisted Arrow were 425, 429, 429,432. Mine is shooting 426.
Without question, i expect a higher failure rate than the original SWAT , 165# vs 200+#, 386-387’/sec vs 420-430’/sec.

#30 ·
Steve is right, the last three inches on the rope cocker does max your back out. It's a stretch at that height level. 200lbs that is easy to pull becomes really awkward for the last few inches. My first rope try I went " are you serious, when is this gonna bottom out".

Thinking of using the DSC from now on. I tried it, and it wasn't much slower than rope cocking.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

#31 ·
Great video, especially if it was done by memory, unscripted, and in nearly one continuous take which it almost appears so. Nearly impressive as the Swat XP itself. Thanks @SEW and @OLDFLYER, I see my first compound crossbow purchase happening at some point because of your work.

#33 ·
Zakker - did you read post #31?

I think anyone would be a bit apprehensive about a new system. Time will tell as Steve says.

#34 ·
Yes of course I read it. So? I've run 100 shots thru mine so far so why apprehensive? I'm not.

My "beef" is the trashing of these guys' work. It's easy to trash behind a keyboard. If I thought their bow sucked, I'd keep it to myself because someone will get their feelings hurt. There are bows out there that I'd never shoot, but I don't go online and trash them. Someone designed them and are proud of them. Good for them!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

#38 ·
SEW - that video was absolutely excellent. Thank you very much not just for all of the effort you have put in to helping evaluate bow, but for also taking the time to produce such a thorough overview video and post it.

I tried to buy the original SWAT but could not get one here in the UK. My XP is on order and I am excited to get it. No hunting here in the UK (wouldn’t be my personal preference anyway) but will be used for long range target shooting.

Zakker/Bigbowman - love to both of you, but please stop!

#40 ·
I’m sorry that I seem to draw this type of ire from certain individuals. But, its usually from my threads that these character types come onto the scene to demean and belittle. The actual subject is a man’s brilliant work. One of our own, Oldflyer. He has novel and ingenious designs which are revolutionary. For some reason, there are those who must attack these designs and those who want to discuss these designs.
In this current thread, I only see one of these individuals who only criticises . Others have responded to his unwarranted attacks and criticism. I do not see them at fault.

These people whose only contribution is criticism are a lot like hummingbirds. I have a hummingbird feeder about 10’ out my porch window. Invariabily, a single hummingbird will perch in a tree and attack every other hummingbird trying to feed. There are 6 feeding stations on the feeder (plenty for all) ; yet, that hummingbird hatefully keeps the entire feeder to himself. One day, I’d had enough, got out my 17HMR and turned him into red mist/puff of feathers as he set on the tree limb ready to attack the next hungry hummingbird. Within 5 minutes, another one of the hummingbirds had taken his place doing the same thing. I didn’t kill it but decided that the only way to stop this would be to kill all the hummingbirds except one. That’s not exactly the case here, but we do seem to continue to get replacements. I’m beginning to wonder if I’m the hummingbird feeder. :)

#43 ·
Reminds me of Galatians 5:19-23Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, 21envy,d drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who doe such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

#46 ·
All I can tell you guys is that this bow is the bomb! I am still thrilled with it. I am stressing right now on which optics and Jackplate or not. I am certainly not worrying about anything bow wise. After being an Excalibur fanboy for so long I can honestly say that the Swat XP is that good!
May be it's all the years of working on bows or all these years of working on cars but I absolutely do not see what apprehension is validated? The only thing on this bow that makes it short of a perfect 10 is the cam lean and with some changes, cam lean is not a problem. There is nothing worse than fear of the unknow. That sort of thing places a base for further fears and ignorance. I think that everything should be viewed with an open mind unless there is any reason to do likewise.
Steve, if you weren't so good looking, guys wouldn't pick on you so much.:giggle:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.