Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

Long time reader first time posting. Have been reading everything on SWAT XP. Thanks to everyone for sharing information and knowledge.
After waiting for so long I finally got SWAT in my hands. No need to repeat how good design, trigger, balance or accuracy is. Agree 100 % and more. At this time I want to share some issues I faced with my brand new crossbow. On my very second shot I was not able to take the safety off. Safety switch didn’t move. I thought I have short-cocked a crossbow. After all my efforts to fix situation has been failed I took cocked crossbow back to Cabela’s. While showing problem to technician I was trying to move safety switch from left side or right side repeatedly with no results. After a while got frustrated and grabbed safety switch from both sides simultaneously, started wiggling and moved forward. That helped. So on this particular crossbow I can take safety off only when engaging switch from both sides at the same time.
Second problem occurred after I shot crossbow for third time at Cabela’s shooting range to confirm safety switch issue. Cable start frying after total of four shots.
Exchanged my very new crossbow to brand new :) After 20 shots so far so good. I love this crossbow. Fingers crossed.
25DCC9E6-1707-486B-8EB8-8AFE7304D715.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Sorry for your frustration...will need updated cables and string
Sounds like the Dealer gave him a new XP, hopefully with updated cable, strings and the required cam smoothing already done.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
That is an excellent question.....and I have no idea what to look for as far as the updates.

Its great that he shot it in front of the Cabelas staff..... at least hes got a new one now

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
How can I determine if my crossbow has been updated. What should I look for? Thanks
That is an excellent question.....and I have no idea what to look for as far as the updates.

Its great that he shot it in front of the Cabelas staff..... at least hes got a new one now
Not 100% sure but I believe the newest cables are thinner and fit better in the cams.
It would be nice to have side by side pics for Members here to review and use as reference.

Other than that, watch for cable and serving damage within the first 50 shots or so.
Also, please remember that I am going by what I have read here.
I do not have an XP but am following most of the threads with a lot of interest.

Yes, as Wapster pointed out, that is a great reason to buy from a local shop where you can shoulder and shoot the xbow before buying

Reactions: SEW

·
4,766 Posts
The safety lever usually works best on the right side. Sometimes both sides need used together. I put a small drop of oil (Scentless cam oil) on each side of the safety switch on safe and off safe (total of 4 drops) and worked the switch back and forth a # of times. They just need broken in. Now, with both of my current production SWAT XPs, the safety works smoothly.

With the XP being a narrow crossbow and with a of conventional crossover cable system, cam lean occurs. This can chafe the string where it exits the cam. When the xbow is uncocked mark the cam with a felt marker, and lightly file the inside of the cam and then smooth with a rubber wheel on a Dremel, or emery cloth, on even a finger nail file or emery board. The xbow can be partially cocked to do this (there are lockout holes in the cams) . Of course, always keep hands and fingers out of harm’s way.

On the back (inside) of the cam where the loop goes on the cam and then goes up to the 90 degree bend, there will be some, inevitable , slight serving opening on the outside of the bend. Early problems involved the end of the loop being too big and getting squished out of the cam groove and getting cut on the sharp edges of the edges of the cam around that 90 degree bend. The cam design here really complicates cable making here. I also smooth off the sharp edges here and polish. Neither of my XPs have the very newest S&Cs that are coming out now; yet, the above “fixes” are working well. The newest S&Cs may not even need the cam modifications though I’d do them nevertheless.

As I’ve repeatedly posted, Jim Akers of the Twisted Arrow in Poplar Bluff, MO routinely modifies all cams, retimes, and tests all the XPs he sells in order to make sure these problems don’t exist for his customers. This is just one advantage of a good pro shop.

The SWAT XP is a very high performance crossbow and needs some special care. In particular, string and cable lubrication. I use Trident Silicone on the cables and string, including where the cables cross under the rail, the serving on the string in the rail(q-Tip) and especially where the string comes off the cam and where the cable goes around the 90 degree bend on the backside of the cam. This is manditory for good string and cable life.

I believe strongly that the cams need smoothed! I doubt that the ultimate S&C sets have been developed yet. However, with the newest S&C sets, smoothing the cams (easy 15 minute job at most), and keeping the S&Cs well lubricated will virtually eliminate this problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The safety lever usually works best on the right side. Sometimes both sides need used together. I put a small drop of oil (Scentless cam oil) on each side of the safety switch on safe and off safe (total of 4 drops) and worked the switch back and forth a # of times. They just need broken in. Now, with both of my current production SWAT XPs, the safety works smoothly.

With the XP being a narrow crossbow and with a of conventional crossover cable system, cam lean occurs. This can chafe the string where it exits the cam. When the xbow is uncocked mark the cam with a felt marker, and lightly file the inside of the cam and then smooth with a rubber wheel on a Dremel, or emery cloth, on even a finger nail file or emery board. The xbow can be partially cocked to do this (there are lockout holes in the cams) . Of course, always keep hands and fingers out of harm’s way.

On the back (inside) of the cam where the loop goes on the cam and then goes up to the 90 degree bend, there will be some, inevitable , slight serving opening on the outside of the bend. Early problems involved the end of the loop being too big and getting squished out of the cam groove and getting cut on the sharp edges of the edges of the cam around that 90 degree bend. The cam design here really complicates cable making here. I also smooth off the sharp edges here and polish. Neither of my XPs have the very newest S&Cs that are coming out now; yet, the above “fixes” are working well. The newest S&Cs may not even need the cam modifications though I’d do them nevertheless.

As I’ve repeatedly posted, Jim Akers of the Twisted Arrow in Poplar Bluff, MO routinely modifies all cams, retimes, and tests all the XPs he sells in order to make sure these problems don’t exist for his customers. This is just one advantage of a good pro shop.

The SWAT XP is a very high performance crossbow and needs some special care. In particular, string and cable lubrication. I use Trident Silicone on the cables and string, including where the cables cross under the rail, the serving on the string in the rail(q-Tip) and especially where the string comes off the cam and where the cable goes around the 90 degree bend on the backside of the cam. This is manditory for good string and cable life.

I believe strongly that the cams need smoothed! I doubt that the ultimate S&C sets have been developed yet. However, with the newest S&C sets, smoothing the cams (easy 15 minute job at most), and keeping the S&Cs well lubricated will virtually eliminate this problem.
Thank you SEW! I was looking everywhere for info how to lube this crossbow properly with no available. Here is few pictures of crossbow. Maybe you can chime in again and tell me if I have updated crossbow. Thank you for your time!
2326E099-D2FA-4406-8688-FA646B96E4DB.jpeg
2B4523E5-4AAF-4C58-B615-1735029E7AF6.jpeg
7315727B-EEC2-4548-BE7B-2EE179499707.jpeg
14B44EA9-39C7-4209-999A-D8BAC3CFFBB3.jpeg
0DBF08B8-F355-440D-906A-68A782F49247.jpeg
2326E099-D2FA-4406-8688-FA646B96E4DB.jpeg

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Take a pic of the underside of the cam....that is where Steve is saying you need to give it a refurb. From what he just said the updated s/c are not even available yet. This is news to me , I was thinking after the evaluators gave their observations these new string and cables had been installed.
When they are available Im sure we will hear about it....

·
4,766 Posts
Take a pic of the underside of the cam....that is where Steve is saying you need to give it a refurb. From what he just said the updated s/c are not even available yet. This is news to me , I was thinking after the evaluators gave their observations these new string and cables had been installed.
When they are available Im sure we will hear about it....
I don’t know for how long, but I understand that the newest S&Cs have been being supplied for a few weeks now. Mine are the inbetween versions which are working well (with the smoothed cams).
The newest ones supposedly have tighter servings and smaller loop tieoffs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@SEW
What would be the best way to reach Jim Akers? Thanks

·
4,766 Posts
@SEW
What would be the best way to reach Jim Akers? Thanks
The phone # is 573-785-6914. They can be hard to reach due to the busyness of the season - MO archery opened last weekend, Arkansas, this weekend. Keep trying.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you SEW! I was looking everywhere for info how to lube this crossbow properly with no available. Here is few pictures of crossbow. Maybe you can chime in again and tell me if I have updated crossbow. Thank you for your time! View attachment 184657 View attachment 184653 View attachment 184654 View attachment 184655 View attachment 184656 View attachment 184657
It looks to me like you have the newest cables. The previous cables (which my swat xp came with) had a 1/4 inch of cable that was not served about 1.5 inches from cable hanger and about three inches from the rail.

1 - 20 of 227 Posts