Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few of the SWAT XPs are going out for reviews and first impressions. These are full production models. This thread is for all testers to give their thoughts, etc.
They come with 9 arrows(for testing, I think 3 are standard) , a rope cocker, a Dead Silent crank cocker, a very nice 32 mm blue or red lighted reticle Lumix scope that goes up to 450’/sec complete with flip up end caps, a high quality 5-arrow quiver mounted inline with the enclosed rail, rail lub, instruction manual for xbow and scope. The crossbow comes fully assembled .

After a week of dead calm, hot weather in Arkansas, that all ended Friday PM when the SWAT XP arrived via the brown truck. Light wind last night and evening, and lots of humid heat and 5-10 mph gusty winds today. I shot the XP about 12 times yesterday and 53 today for a total of 65 shots. If the X25 is never built , this could well be my last crossbow except for a twin of it plus one of my original SWATs.

Today, I just wanted to get really familiar with the xbow, crank cocker and rope cocker, scope, get speeds and accuracy potential which the winds prevented that last item. After 30 or so shots, I took off the Lumix scope and placed an Optimizer/4.5x14 Zeiss Conquest scope with Parallex adjust (I wanted to see what the crossbow could really do). Additionally, I had the stock KI arrows which averaged 301gs. They were surprisingly accurate. In addition, I had 12 new Jerry arrows (22” STs, 3.15 Vanetecs in offset, 110g DT inserts, and I epoxied in the new KI AL nocks). These nocks are brilliantly designed as is the KI designed Lumix scope - more later.

I tested both sets of arrows , but the wind caused the results to be relatively meaningless.

I’ll continue with the next post.

·
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The crossbow:
It’s tiny ! My wife was with me when I unboxed it and asked to hold it. She said, “In the unlikely even I ever take up hunting, this is the xbow I want to use!”. It’s tiny and comparatively light , but the enclosed rail (barrel) does add a little weight. Still, it’s 10 oz lighter than the original SWAT. It’s late, will continue tomorrow.

·
8,157 Posts
Is it tomorrow yet? ;)

·
Registered
332 Posts
I imagine Steve is taking advantage of the calm early morning conditions and putting the new SWAT XP through her paces this morning. Today is Sunday, so maybe he’s spending the day resting and going to church. I suspect he might find time for some early morning shooting before church. I know I probably would if I had a new SWAT XP in my possession.
May God bless each and every one of you today.

·
8,157 Posts
Looks … a lot better than a Ravin! :unsure:(y)

·
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is it tomorrow yet? ;)
We’re having “church” at home this morning. Though I’m apparently a very healthy 73 year old, I do have lung damage from a serious case of histoplasmosis in my early teen years, so, I’m being pretty careful.

I’m an incurable perfectionistic minimiliast. For my hunting , varmints, deer and bear, encompasses extreme accuracy, no more energy than required for “humane”, clean kills. My varmint rifle’s are an 17 HMR and a fast twist, 0.262” necked 6PPC with 75 NBTs. My 2 smokeless MLers are a light built 40 cal and a heavier, much longer ranged 40 cal. See the trend? If it didn’t look like a Tonka Toy, I’d like a Honda Civic SiR. Small and fast. So, the SWAT XP is perfect for my mindset, and likely many others. I’ll explain...

‘’The SWAT XP is truly small. Compared to my Aculeus 460 and BD400, both flagships of their manufacturers just 3 years ago, the XP is minuscule. Yet, at only 27” long and just over 7#, is over 45’/sec faster than the BD400 and less than 15’/sec slower than the fastest xbow just three years ago. But, it doesn’t stop there. Being obsessive over accuracy caused me to get the other two bows and they didn’t disappoint. However, my original SWATs were even more accurate. I see no reason that the XP will be any different except it is 30 - 45’/ sec faster.

The enclosed rail is a game changer. Actually, it is “the” game changer! But, then the patented extreme rear latching mechanism allows for a very desirable long power stroke which enables a lower draw weight which is also desirable. Trigger: the former chief Arkansas Highway Patrol sniper (now retired) stated that his SWAT’s trigger was even better than his excellent trigger on his sniper rifle. Even my excellent 1.5# trigger on my BD400 nor the truly excellent Aculeus trigger equals either of the two SWATs’ triggers.

Then of concern to many, the scope rail is rock solid: firmly mounted to the upper portion of the rail. This is infinitely stiffer and desirable compared to a cantilevered mount attached to a trigger box.

Cocking. At “only” 200-210 #s draw weight, it is rope cockable for most shooters 5’11” and taller. Over 16” of draw length is significant! I like a detachable crank! This crank is quiet, has a brake, is simple to use, is NOT decockable, and is detachable! One thing instantly noticeable is that there is a lot of power stored in that force-draw curve! It takes some strength to cock this bow even with the crank cocker. The 90 degree “stirrup” which acts well as a shooting stand or for placing a foot on while cocking is another really nice, innovative aspect of this crossbow.

Shooting. It is moderately quiet. It’s really quieter when there’s not a loose scope mounting screw(actually bolt). I’d previously mentioned that the XP wasn’t particularly quiet, but it was that scope mounting bolt that was loose.

Accuracy. Nothing matched my original SWAT for accuracy not the ease of obtaining it. I doubt that the XP will be any different. So far, the winds have prevented meaningful testing. At 60 yards, with the Lumix scope and Tapp Nation arrows, I was working towards shooting a 4-shot 60 yard group. The first 3 (at separate dots, of course) were w/i 1/2”, the 4th one was about an inch out. So much for a “great” group. I figured it was wind. Moved to 80 yards. 3-shot group of 3”! Horrible! And, the bow had become noisy. Loose scope rings. Then the wx really turned bad stopping all testing.

More later.

·
1,264 Posts
The Crank Cocker is removable. Personally, I prefer it that way to keep excess weight off the bow while shooting. You can see the "Crank Cocker Fork" which will easily slide into the Hand Cocker rope groove. The "Fork" is "Stupid Simple" because it eliminates the cocker cord from tangling when not in use. The crank handle will attach on either side of the cocker to accommodate left or right-handed shooters.
Crank Cocker 1.jpg
Crank Cocker 2.jpg
Crank Cocker 3.jpg

·
8,157 Posts
Who buys … purple towels? Whattaya NYU, LSU, or Vikings fans??? 🤪 ;)

Reactions: Ironminer
1 - 20 of 198 Posts