Crossbow Nation banner

181 - 200 of 202 Posts

·
1,411 Posts
What is the dimension of the string path opening, that is, the distance between the upper rail and lower rail where the string travels? Or, stated another way, what would be the max diameter string that could work?
Thanks
The string slot is .170" so nothing fatter than .150".

·
Crossbow Nut
3,124 Posts
The string slot is .170" so nothing fatter than .150".
Thank you, so does the string contact the rail like most, or at .150, would it more or less "hover" with .010 clearance top and bottom?

·
1,411 Posts
Thank you, so does the string contact the rail like most, or at .150, would it more or less "hover" with .010 clearance top and bottom?
The string DOES contact the rail. The design specs for the position of the string is dead center of the string slot (between rails), but because the cables are constantly changing tension throughout the power stroke which allows the limbs to twist and the cams to lean, it's impossible to keep the string from rubbing the rail surfaces. On my X25 design, the string would "float" between the upper and lower rails because of it's balanced cam and cable design. There would be zero string drag on the rails if anyone has the smarts to build it.

·
1,639 Posts
The string DOES contact the rail. The design specs for the position of the string is dead center of the string slot (between rails), but because the cables are constantly changing tension throughout the power stroke which allows the limbs to twist and the cams to lean, it's impossible to keep the string from rubbing the rail surfaces. On my X25 design, the string would "float" between the upper and lower rails because of it's balance cam and cable design. There would be zero string drag on the rails if anyone has the smarts to build it.
Jeff, I think float is the incorrect description. I think it is more accurate to say that the normal tendency for strings to oscillate while traveling down the flight deck is suppressed by the upper and lower rails. It is one of the many wonderful design advantages of your bow.

·
1,411 Posts
Jeff, I think float is the incorrect description. I think it is more accurate to say that the normal tendency for strings to oscillate while traveling down the flight deck is suppressed by the upper and lower rails. It is one of the many wonderful design advantages of your bow.
I am afraid to say, but the string on the SWAT XP will ALWAYS touch the lower rail, but if you saw my X25 design, you would say float too. The prototype of the balanced design I built 9 years ago, works perfectly even today. Yes, during the shot, the string will touch the upper and lower rails, but it touches with no pressure. The upper rail will and does prevent the string from climbing over the arrow during the shot. All other crossbows DO NOT have an upper rail so they need to design in string down pressure. They will, of course, lose speed because of it.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
The actual limiting factor on the string, currently, is the groove size in the cam. And, that’s being revisited, as well as cable size, currently. Jack, I’ll get you an answer.
So,if the groove and cable sizes are being revisited,release of this bow publicly could be a ways off ? The five bows released are just the test phase?

·
1,411 Posts
So,if the groove and cable sizes are being revisited,release of this bow publicly could be a ways off ? The five bows released are just the test phase?
No. Putting different strings and cables on do not take extra time during assembly..

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
No. Putting different strings and cables on do not take extra time during assembly..
Ok,I misunderstood! Sounded like the grooves were possibly being changed to accept a different size string!

·
1,639 Posts
What material are they using to build strings and cables? X99 is smaller with good strength.
450 for the cables and D97 for the strings. A good combo! 450 will give good cam timing stability and D97 is a great string material for speed while at the same time giving limbs some protection.

Reactions: SEW and bunnyrabbit

·
1,639 Posts

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
Oh, so this thread is disccontinued because of a pic of a few nice rear ends ? I can understand the need to be serious about the subject at hand but to start an entirely new thread over a good picture of a diferent subject is a little overboard, for lack of better words. Remember, I'm single though so, I might not be on the same page as most.
Personally, I liked that picture. Thanks Duke !

·
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #197 (Edited)
Oh, so this thread is disccontinued because of a pic of a few nice rear ends ? I can understand the need to be serious about the subject at hand but to start an entirely new thread over a good picture of a diferent subject is a little overboard, for lack of better words. Remember, I'm single though so, I might not be on the same page as most.
Personally, I liked that picture. Thanks Duke !
I expect everybody appreciated the picture. No, it was going away from the subject quite a bit. Just wanted one where we could actually discuss the developmentof the final product. When i started this thread, Ihad no idea thst the string cable existed. You and Jerry both have excellent reputations concerning strings and cables.
PS Duke’s pictures and incredible wit are part of what makes forums enjoyable.

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
I expect everybody appreciated the picture. No, it was going away from the subject quite a bit. Just wanted one where we could actually discuss the developmentof the final product. When i started this thread, Ihad no idea thst the string cable existed. You and Jerry both have excellent reputations concerning strings and cables.
Don Katsumi and Samt are the ones who deserve the credit for good string and cable building. They are the ones who taught me when I first started building them. Tim Burky assisted me also in my endeavours. Without these members I might not be building quality strings and cables today. It took alot of patience and time. I had many struggles over the months which led into a couple years until I was able to hone and perfect my skills and techniques. I built many strings that didn't meet the quality needed to a perfect product for the market. Without Don, Samt and Tim answering my questions and giving me valuable pointers, I might never have made it. It's an art and one has to be very passionate about the process or you might as well just forget it. It takes many hours hunched over the 4 posts and 2 posts with the serving jigs pulling your hair out, throwing things accross the room, tipping the tables, ready to just throw it all in. It took many trial and errors, many builds to get to where I'm at today. Custom string building quality is earned by many sacrifices. Not just by words but by action !

·
Registered
14 Posts
In
You can shoot 5" through 22" arrows from your SWAT. Just make sure they are heavy enough and balanced.
So I could shoot my new SpynalTap's 20 inch from my new Swat Xp? What would be the results compared to a 22". But wait.....I will have to change out the nocks also

181 - 200 of 202 Posts