Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rit wanted a video on tuning a Swat so i did one today right after i built a set of cables and string for my brothers Swat .
I left out a bunch of info and did not explane things well enough , i did this video in one take and will do another one on this topic real soon .
well here it is , there is some info in it that is valuable , some not so much ,lol

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Way to go Tim! You're always will to help out here!!!

·
Registered
Ventilator 175 Extreme Scorpyd Velocity 165
402 Posts
What an asset to the site, to have these videos, by Tim, Jerry, and all the helpful contributors. Often, when one finds a video on youtube, they either may or may not know his/her business, and even if they do, the video is done so poorly, it leaves the viewer with doubts of its value. These guys not only know their stuff, but can communicate it in a manner that gives confidence to the viewer, that we can do it.

·
5,374 Posts
For those who haven’t closely followed the evolution of the XP, I’ll add to what Burky so well stated and demonstrated.
FWIW, I absolutely love the SWAT XP, as it ended up. It’s likely the most crossbow for the least and is still available.

1) Needed or not, I smoothed the edges of the cams all around. The factory S&Cs now are excellent - I have >1,000 shots and 100’s of hours cocked and they are still very serviceable.

2) Early limb failures came from being set up too hot. 430 is easily obtainable but not recommended. If the ATA/string tension is adjusted to where it shoots 405/400g, the limbs have a very high reliability. Even slight ATA changes significantly change speed. Factory setting is 14 1/8” but this mat be too hot. However, when going longer than 14 5/16” the rather heavy, non-symetrical cams can set up a viberation that stresses the limbs. Mine is set close to 14 1/4” and 405/400.

3) String life , particularly center serving, can be greatly extended by diligent care. Every 20-50 shots, I lock out the cams, remove 1 end of the string, and wax the center serving and all the rest of the string and the cables, especially where the cables cross under the rail (rail snot under the rail) .

4) The sharp bends on the cams and comparatively narrow grooves can really wear the serving on the cables and string. I take a soft wax (Scorpin wax) and just mash it in the serving and string grooves when cocked and uncocked. I make a mess! Then I shoot it a couple of shots, wipe off the excess, and then repeat only when needed, maybe 100+ shots.

5) The cams are the XP’s weakest area and the strongest point of the X1. KI is definitely doing a great job at progressively refining the SWAT design.

6) One thing’s for sure, Burky really understands crossbows. His work with the SWAT‘s will only be beneficial to everyone involved. The 1960’s Z28 wouldn’t have come about without innovators sililiar to Burky being involved. Same with Shelby with the Mustang.

7) I think the SWAT design principles will change the crossbow world even more than Ravin did.

8) Burky, don’t let up!

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
For those who haven’t closely followed the evolution of the XP, I’ll add to what Burky so well stated and demonstrated.
FWIW, I absolutely love the SWAT XP, as it ended up. It’s likely the most crossbow for the least and is still available.

1) Needed or not, I smoothed the edges of the cams all around. The factory S&Cs now are excellent - I have >1,000 shots and 100’s of hours cocked and they are still very serviceable.

2) Early limb failures came from being set up too hot. 430 is easily obtainable but not recommended. If the ATA/string tension is adjusted to where it shoots 405/400g, the limbs have a very high reliability. Even slight ATA changes significantly change speed. Factory setting is 14 1/8” but this mat be too hot. However, when going longer than 14 5/16” the rather heavy, non-symetrical cams can set up a viberation that stresses the limbs. Mine is set close to 14 1/4” and 405/400.

3) String life , particularly center serving, can be greatly extended by diligent care. Every 20-50 shots, I lock out the cams, remove 1 end of the string, and wax the center serving and all the rest of the string and the cables, especially where the cables cross under the rail (rail snot under the rail) .

4) The sharp bends on the cams and comparatively narrow grooves can really wear the serving on the cables and string. I take a soft wax (Scorpin wax) and just mash it in the serving and string grooves when cocked and uncocked. I make a mess! Then I shoot it a couple of shots, wipe off the excess, and then repeat only when needed, maybe 100+ shots.

5) The cams are the XP’s weakest area and the strongest point of the X1. KI is definitely doing a great job at progressively refining the SWAT design.

6) One thing’s for sure, Burky really understands crossbows. His work with the SWAT‘s will only be beneficial to everyone involved. The 1960’s Z28 wouldn’t have come about without innovators sililiar to Burky being involved. Same with Shelby with the Mustang.

7) I think the SWAT design principles will change the crossbow world even more than Ravin did.

8) Burky, don’t let up!
I agree I love my Aculeus but prefer the original Swat for my daughters. With some work the XP. Who knows maybe the X1. Problem is my oldest daughter 8yrs old going on 16 is out shooting me at 50 yards verses me at 60. I am afraid to take the handicap away because I would be the one with the handicap. As a friend of mine that was a marksman in the army that has been teaching her told me after having her shooting the 6.5 at 800 yards said she can compete with almost anyone.

·
SE VA
12,157 Posts
Good info here on the XP👍🏻. Being a 350 FPS freak😆, I decided to lower my XP’s limb stress by shimming the fronts of the limbs at the limb bolts and using the factory standard length string and cables. I know, that’s a rather crude way of slowing the crossbow down but, at my age and condition, it was the most logical way of achieving my goals. My XP is now shooting standard KI arrows 362 FPS 👍🏻 with exceptional accuracy and string/cable durability.
Looking forward to the X1!!

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great video Tim. How about doing another showing how to lock out a cam on the Swat to change a string or make a cable adjustment. :)
Good idea !!!!
I will add it in !!

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had a lengthy conversation with Jason at KI about locking out a cam to do string and cable work. They are not keen on the idea at all.
I wonder why , it does not hurt a thing to do it !!

Reactions: SEW

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

8) Burky, don’t let up!
(y) (y);)

Reactions: SEW
1 - 20 of 25 Posts