Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thoughts on Swhacker 125 grain 2.25 inch cut crossbow broadhead vs the 150 grain 3.0 inch cut. Been shooting 150 grain slick tricks last couple years. Even still have some of their 175 grain heads. Is the 3.0 inch cut too much? We all take ethical shots, but "Murphy"can pop up anytime. Concerend a little back could turn liver or spleen into gut shot. Trying mechanicals for the first time. Shooting a Ten Point Turbo XLT II at about 324 fps with 22 inch bolts and brass inserts. Penetration with 125 or 150 grain fixed blades has never been an issue. Why change, looking for a larger cut diameter, even a good lung shot big bodied deer can can go a long way!

·
Registered
956 Posts
I would go with the 125gr 2.25", with a 25gr weight to make it 150gr. You might not have the KE for the 3" blade.

·
Registered
684 Posts
The 125gr 2.25" has worked well for me. I have thought about trying the 150gr 3" but, why mess with what's been working.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have killed 3 deer with the 125 2.25". blood trails haven't been great but they all dropped in sight, so I'll let that go. I would be worried about pass through with the 3" blade that is really getting big. With the small entrance hole of swhacker I wouldn't risk it. Also the bigger the blades the longer and thus weaker the ferrule will become.
Just some things to think about.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I tried a 3" cut, 2 blade from another company. Total weight of arrow was 500 gr. The speed was about 385 fps. The blades almost formed a full circle after exiting. The blades were .035 thick. It could have been a freak incident. So, I did not get a 3" cut. I ended up with a 1" circle. I will try again to see what happens. I think there is a limit to how long blades can be before they become prone to breaking or bending.

·
Registered
108 Posts
There does seem to be a bit of a craze for the mechanical with biggest cutting diameter. IMO it’s mostly marketing. Simple physics would dictate that the wider the cutting diameter the greater probability of blade or ferrule failure, and poor penetration. It‘s just always better to use a proven broadhead as an ever bigger cut is not a solution for poor shooting.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I tried a 3" cut, 2 blade from another company. Total weight of arrow was 500 gr. The speed was about 385 fps. The blades almost formed a full circle after exiting. The blades were .035 thick. It could have been a freak incident. So, I did not get a 3" cut. I ended up with a 1" circle. I will try again to see what happens. I think there is a limit to how long blades can be before they become prone to breaking or bending.
Thats a great point, they aren't made out of titanium and the farther you get from the pin that holds them the weaker they will become.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts