Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thoughts on Swhacker 125 grain 2.25 inch cut crossbow broadhead vs the 150 grain 3.0 inch cut. Been shooting 150 grain slick tricks last couple years. Even still have some of their 175 grain heads. Is the 3.0 inch cut too much? We all take ethical shots, but "Murphy"can pop up anytime. Concerend a little back could turn liver or spleen into gut shot. Trying mechanicals for the first time. Shooting a Ten Point Turbo XLT II at about 324 fps with 22 inch bolts and brass inserts. Penetration with 125 or 150 grain fixed blades has never been an issue. Why change, looking for a larger cut diameter, even a good lung shot big bodied deer can can go a long way! Prevously looked at the all steel 125 grain, got some good advice on rust concerns.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
If I had been having success with my current 2,25 cut head I would not "change horses in mid-stream". Just keep dancing with the ol girl that has treated you right. I have shot a good many deer through both lungs with broadheads with cut's up to 1 3/4 and i have personally never had one go farther than 50-60 yds. Good luck..

Reactions: Hidden Waters

·
Registered
9,365 Posts
I've killed many with the 100gn 2" cut Swhackers. I also shoot the 125gn 2.25". Imo the 3" is over kill along with the extra 25gn of weight. One thing to remember is the longer the blades the longer and weaker the ferrule will be. Penetrations has always been great with nothing but pass through with Swahckers for me. Speeds ranging from 300-355 fps. I like the 100gn 3 blade version too

100gn 2" cut 2 blade
20171105_094330.jpg
20171105_094423.jpg

100gn 3blade
20181014_110430.jpg

Haven't got a shot with the 125gn 2.25"cut yet. I dont suspect it will be much different than the 2" version though.

The all steel version is only a 1.75"cut and is stainless steel so no rust worries

·
Registered
219 Posts
I would try the 3 inch cut swhackers and see how they fly. I'm different from the others I want the largest wound channel I can get with a broadhead that stays together. I've shot the NAP FOC 170 gr. 3 inch cut for years and they leave some nasty exit holes that look like you hit them with a hatchet. Good luck with your decision sounds like you can't wrong either way.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I have a Excalibur Bulldog 400, the last two deer I've killed with the 150 grain 3" Swhackers. One was a high lung shot, wasn't much of a blood trail and the deer ran about 175 yards (I don't believe I would have found it with a smaller cut). The second deer, a double lung shot centered on a downward angle, after I shot the deer bounced off about 30 yards and I watched it bed down, it died in its bed. However, I wish the entrance hole was bigger. I'm thinking about trying the 125 grain 4 blade hybrid's that Swhacker makes. But the 3" cut is bad medicine on a whitetail!

Reactions: Stalker

·
Registered
9,365 Posts
I have a Excalibur Bulldog 400, the last two deer I've killed with the 150 grain 3" Swhackers. One was a high lung shot, wasn't much of a blood trail and the deer ran about 175 yards (I don't believe I would have found it with a smaller cut). The second deer, a double lung shot centered on a downward angle, after I shot the deer bounced off about 30 yards and I watched it bed down, it died in its bed. However, I wish the entrance hole was bigger. I'm thinking about trying the 125 grain 4 blade hybrid's that Swhacker makes. But the 3" cut is bad medicine on a whitetail!
Let us know if you try them and if they fly good. I've been thinking the same thing.

Reactions: DSLiner

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the information and insight. I decided to go with the stainless steel 1.75 inch 125 grain head. Been practicing with them and no issues. Plan to be in the woods from the day after Halloween until November 10th. Will hopefully be able to review the heads performance after!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts