Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried these out? Still a little unclear on the blade lock system - I get you can lock them in place for practice which is awesome for testing the actual broadhead you’ll hunt with but do you still use the dental band or can you also choose to use the plug?

·
Registered
672 Posts
I understand it to be either or, shrink band or plug, not intended to be both.
Have not tried them yet, but my next set will have that feature.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Swhacker came out with the locking series last year with the Levi Series. I think it was the #262 model.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,315 Posts
Yes you can use either or. The bands have always worked great for me and I cut my own. I dont see any advantage in using a plug. Looks like the price has come down on the blade locking version so I may get some.

I will say this though. I tried some Ulmers Edge heads a few years ago. They have a screw for locking the blades down very similar to these. When it came time to hunt. I couldn't get one of the set screws out. It stripped out even using the correct size allen wrench. Been using electrical tape on regular Swhackers ever since. Im not sure if I over tightened it or if the stress from the blades trying to open caused it. Just a warning to keep an eye on.

·
Registered
10,410 Posts
I just read it and it says you lock them with a set screw for practice and then take the screw out and insert the plug or use the shrink band to hunt with.

"Blade-Lock Technology allows the user to lock the blades in the closed position for practice; remove the Blade-Lock set screw and replace with Hunt-Ready plug, or standard shrink band, for the hunt."

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes you can use either or. The bands have always worked great for me and I cut my own. I dont see any advantage in using a plug. Looks like the price has come down on the blade locking version so I may get some.

I will say this though. I tried some Ulmers Edge heads a few years ago. They have a screw for locking the blades down very similar to these. When it came time to hunt. I couldn't get one of the set screws out. It stripped out even using the correct size allen wrench. Been using electrical tape on regular Swhackers ever since. Im not sure if I over tightened it or if the stress from the blades trying to open caused it. Just a warning to keep an eye on.
Stalker, I feel like you are the Swhacker guru lol great info as always. What bands do you buy to install on your Swhackers? Any other things you do when you put them on

·
Registered
9,315 Posts
Stalker, I feel like you are the Swhacker guru lol great info as always. What bands do you buy to install on your Swhackers? Any other things you do when you put them on
Just about any heat shrink tubing will do. About 1/4" size and I cut them about the same size as the originals maybe a little wider no more than 1/8"

On the Green 100 gn 2" cut the ferrule is a smaller diameter than a crossbow arrow. So I take a little off of the wing blades to prevent them from hitting the the inserts and shaft. It only takes a couple of seconds with a dremil tool. Swhacker started shaping them a little different but they will still hit. All of the others i have tried are fine.The first pic They have been filed back a little the second hasn't.
Swhackers 006.JPG
Swhackers 007.JPG

Reactions: Swamp Hunter 92NC
1 - 8 of 8 Posts