Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am collaborating with HuntersThompson and not sure what we'll find with our arrow build testing. We want to explore clock vanes, CCW direction out of our Xbows. I have spine indexed 12 pultruded Easton 9mm arrows and we are using the latest hot vane in the archery market from Tac. Tac Driver vanes are suppose to be the stiffest with least memory material for long range shooting. Their claimed, 2.75" Tac Driver vanes maintains fps speeds longer vs other vanes on the market. I do suspect that it's a marketing gimmick. I'm more interested in durability. Note: I'm changing it up and using their smaller 2.25" Tac Driver vanes on these arrows. Mike has Blazer Vanes and will give his honest opinion on durability. I know he likes the 2.5" Heat vanes.

Nothing but summer fun. Also, we are not trying to get those vested in their current arrows to change. May be nothin or might be compelling. To be continued.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tom, I see you are keeping busy in retirement.
Haha, yea, been busy a bit with new Lake Cottage, now getting boat summertime ready and wife todo list filling up the small modest place. I recently purchased a Bear entry level compound bow to shoot in the backyard with hope to hunt a few times but when it gets serious business Xbow, 100%. Having fun shooting it and that does add to my list of fun things to do in retirement. Hell, when Rich shares a pic of an 81 year young hunter with a trophy buck using a compound bow I just got younger. LOL.... Novel thought and something to aspire to but damn I'm taking every advantage I can and Xbow is my dependable.

To be honest been kinda juiced up a bit about clock arrow direction relating to archers paradox. That's getting in the weeds for sure but novel and fun to explore. To each their own and probably another rabbit hole I've chased down with no real gain. You never know unless you try. :cool:

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I’m keeping an eye on y’all’s endeavors. I’m not going to chase the rabbit into the deep weeds with y’all but if it turns out to be advantageous…:D I might be reflecting some arrows.

Reactions: TomOnTheRun

·
Registered
7,320 Posts
I determined the direction of my spin on all of my SWATs by taking an unfletched arrow with a straight line drawn straight down the top of the arrow. I first shot into a Spyder Web target at 5’ then 10, 15, etc.. They, all, rotated clockwise.
Wonder why BMillers swat rotated left. Rt2bowhunters shot clockwise but his strings are ccw. Are yours ccw

·
Registered
7,320 Posts
Went out and retested. Spinning ccw. Had already fletched my bare shaft. Have bloodsport hunters that are straight fletched. Spinning ccw. Might explain why they shoot so much better than the 2.5 degree right xbolts. At 10 yards cock vane rotates to straight up. Went from 1yard,3 ,5,10. All left.

·
5,049 Posts
My results are hard to understand, but repeated often enough, so…Recurve has ccw string and cw serving. Arrows rotate cw ( to right). My Burky RDX has ccw twisted string. Double served. First layer cw served .012, second layer ccw served .026 AM. Bare saft with versa nock rotate ccw, as expected. BUT, same shafts with flat nocks turn the opposite way (cw)? Very confusing. My accuracy with both is good, with broadheads and field points. Think I’m going to climb out of the rabbit hole and just shoot what is already fletched up. ;)

·
Registered
MK-XB58 Kraken / Hawke 3-9x50 parallax, mildot
3,498 Posts
My results are hard to understand, but repeated often enough, so…Recurve has ccw string and cw serving. Arrows rotate cw ( to right). My Burky RDX has ccw twisted string. Double served. First layer cw served .012, second layer ccw served .026 AM. Bare saft with versa nock rotate ccw, as expected. BUT, same shafts with flat nocks turn the opposite way (cw)? Very confusing. My accuracy with both is good, with broadheads and field points. Think I’m going to climb out of the rabbit hole and just shoot what is already fletched up. ;)
i wonder if moon nocks would turn cw too

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
JP, thanks for the rabbit hole experience. Duly noted. It is summertime fun! :p

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I was under the impression that the string and the serving had to be in the same direction to keep the serving tight?
Typically the string and the serving are served in the same direction to keep unwanted twisting or movement in a string for a peep-sight, something crossbowyers don't have to deal with. Serving in thebsame direction as the twist is standard practice of string making.

There are videos out there that show that if a serving is served in the same direction as the string twist, then applying lots of twists, will actually loosen a serving. Whereas serving in the opposite direction of the string twist will tighten a serving. Keep in mind that in all of those videos the serving, for illustration purposes, was not very tight and lot of twists where used to make their point.

Most strings and cables are made under high tension with very tight serving and the serving does not move with 1 or 2 twists. If you're adding more than 7 or 8 twists, you've got other issues or it's time for a new string.

As far as arrow clocking goes, videos have shown that it's the direction of the serving, regardless of the string twist direction, that influences the cw or ccw direction. Usually the bareshaft clocking direction is opposite of the direction the serving was applied i.e. serving is cw produces a ccw clocking.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
5,049 Posts
Typically the string and the serving are served in the same direction to keep unwanted twisting or movement in a string for a peep-sight, something crossbowyers don't have to deal with. Serving in thebsame direction as the twist is standard practice of string making.

There are videos out there that show that if a serving is served in the same direction as the string twist, then applying lots of twists, will actually loosen a serving. Whereas serving in the opposite direction of the string twist will tighten a serving. Keep in mind that in all of those videos the serving, for illustration purposes, was not very tight and lot of twists where used to make their point.

Most strings and cables are made under high tension with very tight serving and the serving does not move with 1 or 2 twists. If you're adding more than 7 or 8 twists, you've got other issues or it's time for a new string.

As far as arrow clocking goes, videos have shown that it's the direction of the serving, regardless of the string twist direction, that influences the cw or ccw direction. Usually the bareshaft clocking direction is opposite of the direction the serving was applied i.e. serving is cw produces a ccw clocking.

Hope this helps.

Always appreciate your wisdom, Sam. I just reserved the Burky RDX. CCW string and serving. Got it as tight as possible (.012 base broke 1/2 way through first try :cautious: ). We shall see how it holds up to 3D shooting this summer.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Always appreciate your wisdom, Sam. I just reserved the Burky RDX. CCW string and serving. Got it as tight as possible (.012 base broke 1/2 way through first try :cautious: ). We shall see how it holds up to 3D shooting this summer.
Yeah, I hate when that happens!

I was serving some AM036 one time and it actually broke halfway through. First, I was surprised that it broke! I normally serve AM036 at about 22-24lbs. This time I was attempting to serve at 26-28lbs. Must have run into a tough spot on the jig. Needless to say, I went back to 22-24lbs.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts