Crossbow Nation banner
81 - 100 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
My G2 chrono uses a rechargeable Lithium battery. I like it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I'm all over that. Feel a bit dumb not realizing I can buy rechargeable 9v batteries, 4 pack for $26 off of Amazon. Just ordered. :cool:

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Almost 30 years in archery shops, shooting bare shafts marked on top, right hand bow rotates CCW. Left hand bow rotates shaft CW, why I do not know. We always fletched arrows in the direction of rotation. Better broadhead flight and easer tuning. Been using Tac vanes since they came out, put three drops of glue on vane then spread with toothpick. At forty yards quietest vane we tested last year. Shooting 17-inch Zombies, 2.75 Tac Driver vanes 1.5 degree left helical,460 grain arrow weight with 100 fixed grains broadheads. Out of my Siege they are around 390 fps. I use Tac glue and pen, with great results. Interesting test makes for a good read
hemibow, you are a head of the curve. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
samt, that is an outstanding video. Super find and thank you sir!!!!!
TOTR, I've posted some videos of his in the past. He has some great slo-mo vids of fletching twist rates, single bevel, double bevel BH spins, arrow clocking, etc and more.

Check him out at: https://youtube.com/user/1nestly

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Yea, I'm playing catch up on the arrow flight play. Thanks for posting. Great content and informative.

Just went there and subscribed. This old dawg learning few new tricks!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Yea, I'm playing catch up on the arrow flight play. Thanks for posting. Great content and informative.

Just went there and subscribed. This old dawg learning few new tricks!
PSA

He has some great content, but hasn't published anything in a couple of years, so you may have to scan his list of videos to find the nuggets.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Absolutely. I've viewing it right now.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
HuntersThompson,

Here is another slo mo video but has heat vanes being tested. Haven't watch the video but thought you'd be interested. Although these are compound bows I think their is crossover with Xbows are relevant.

Fletching Spin Test

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
In Post #81, I replayed that video several times and something is wrong the way that vertical bow is tuned.
Pay close attention to the peep site and D loop and see how they are rotating. Properly tuned a bow does
not do that.
I have shot several vertical bows with peep sites and some with a peep site that has the rubber tube attached
from it to the upper limb and none have done that. The reason for the tubing is when one draws the bow if the
peep site was off center a wee bit, the tubing corrects this. As one draws the bow the tubing will eventually pull
tight. Once the arrow is shot, the tubing hangs loose. In the video, it does not have the tubing from the limb to
the peep site. All my vertical bows were shot right handed (hold the bow with the left hand and draw with the right
hand).
Using a D Loop like shown in the video, if properly installed, prevents the bowstring from rotating as it may when
shooting with bare fingers or a glove. The D Loop will also correct any slight miss alignment of the peep site.
Sometimes, flipping one bow strand over to the groove on the other side of the peep site may be a bit too much
depending on the height that the peep site is installed.

Shooting several brands and series of crossbows with the bowstring serving installed from left to right going
over the top, the same direction the bow string is twisted, at 16 1/2 feet from the front of the riser to the front
of the target, one set of 8 arrows will show the cock vane in the area of the 3 o'clock position while the other
crossbow shooting the identical arrows will show the cock vane in the 9 o'clock position area. There fore in this
case something in the way the bow is manufactured causes one set to shoot counter clockwise and the other to
shoot clockwise.
The arrows I am using are the 20" Blood Sport Witness averaging 325 grain with out the 100 grain point. These
arrows have the factory 95 grain brass insert with straight fletching.

I started to pay attention after this topic was brought up. 3 or 4 inch arrow difference in penetration into the rebuilt
bag target had no effect on more or less rotation of the arrow. If a 1/2 moon nock is not 100% 90 degrees to the
cock vane, it will show a deviation in the arrow rotation, a wee bit less or a wee bit more.

Shooting the Center Point Sniper either with the XT390 riser or the newly acquired 415 Heat riser it is one tough
crossbow to match or beat for accuracy shooting out of a high grade rifle jig. I find this in the construction of the
rail-stock. The Center Point rail-stock is way better constructed which prevents any bending or twisting when the
crossbow is cocked and shot.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
In Post #81, I replayed that video several times and something is wrong the way that vertical bow is tuned.
Pay close attention to the peep site and D loop and see how they are rotating. Properly tuned a bow does
not do that.
I have shot several vertical bows with peep sites and some with a peep site that has the rubber tube attached
from it to the upper limb and none have done that. The reason for the tubing is when one draws the bow if the
peep site was off center a wee bit, the tubing corrects this. As one draws the bow the tubing will eventually pull
tight. Once the arrow is shot, the tubing hangs loose. In the video, it does not have the tubing from the limb to
the peep site. All my vertical bows were shot right handed (hold the bow with the left hand and draw with the right
hand).
Using a D Loop like shown in the video, if properly installed, prevents the bowstring from rotating as it may when
shooting with bare fingers or a glove. The D Loop will also correct any slight miss alignment of the peep site.
Sometimes, flipping one bow strand over to the groove on the other side of the peep site may be a bit too much
depending on the height that the peep site is installed.

Shooting several brands and series of crossbows with the bowstring serving installed from left to right going
over the top, the same direction the bow string is twisted, at 16 1/2 feet from the front of the riser to the front
of the target, one set of 8 arrows will show the cock vane in the area of the 3 o'clock position while the other
crossbow shooting the identical arrows will show the cock vane in the 9 o'clock position area. There fore in this
case something in the way the bow is manufactured causes one set to shoot counter clockwise and the other to
shoot clockwise.
The arrows I am using are the 20" Blood Sport Witness averaging 325 grain with out the 100 grain point. These
arrows have the factory 95 grain brass insert with straight fletching.

I started to pay attention after this topic was brought up. 3 or 4 inch arrow difference in penetration into the rebuilt
bag target had no effect on more or less rotation of the arrow. If a 1/2 moon nock is not 100% 90 degrees to the
cock vane, it will show a deviation in the arrow rotation, a wee bit less or a wee bit more.

Shooting the Center Point Sniper either with the XT390 riser or the newly acquired 415 Heat riser it is one tough
crossbow to match or beat for accuracy shooting out of a high grade rifle jig. I find this in the construction of the
rail-stock. The Center Point rail-stock is way better constructed which prevents any bending or twisting when the
crossbow is cocked and shot.

Take care.
duly noted Bunnyrabbit but the fletching is matching the natural spin of the arrow coming off the string. That's my take away.

Reactions: rt2bowhunter

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 · (Edited)
Wished we had more extensive slo mo videos for Crossbows. I think all archery content is relevant and crosses over but would be cool to see this in play 1° left offset in play in slow mo. Regardless a new fork in the road that probably yields minor optimization 20-40 yards.

Reactions: samt

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
I agree, an arrow with a vane offset, regardless of how many degrees should spin.

A field point arrow with no offset, should not spin in either direction, unless a wee
bit more glue on a certain area of the insert or a 1/2 moon nock, not properly installed
90 degrees to the cock vane or a vane with a bit more glue. Any of these can affect arrow
flight. Doing a spin test to monitor the insert end and then the nock end would indicate
any wobble which then could have an effect on arrow flight.

I just came in from shooting the same 8 arrows with the Center Point crossbow with
the 415 Heat riser. All my crossbows use a crank cocking device so they are cocked
more even than a rope cocker. I have one rubber left on the bow string where one
ear is missing out of 4. I paid attention to it's position before cocking, after cocking
and again after the shot. The position never changed.

Cams are in time and level.
Axle to axle measurement as per a crossbow manual means nothing as that is just a
guide line. Any change in cam timing whether by adding or removing 1/2 twists from
the cables or the bow string will change the axle to axle measurement.

This has been an interesting topic.

Take care.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The recommended way to choose right vs left helical or offset is to determine which way a bare shaft bolt/arrow spins coming off the string. If the bolt/arrow spins right when bare then you should use right helical/offset. If it spins left when bare then you should use left helical/offset.

·
5,049 Posts
Got the primer pen and Tac glue yesterday. I have 3 indexed and refletched Bloodsports already with Fusions, and will index and refletch the other 3 with the Tacs. Fun little experiment before our local 3D season starts in July. Both bows I will shoot for 3D spin bare shafts to the right, and are/will be fletched right offset. Ordered a dozen 22” Bloodsports to get the same treatment.

·
Registered
7,320 Posts
Got the primer pen and Tac glue yesterday. I have 3 indexed and refletched Bloodsports already with Fusions, and will index and refletch the other 3 with the Tacs. Fun little experiment before our local 3D season starts in July. Both bows I will shoot for 3D spin bare shafts to the right, and are/will be fletched right offset. Ordered a dozen 22” Bloodsports to get the same treatment.
Have you found bloodsport bare shafts or do you have to strip vanes?

·
5,049 Posts
I haven’t found any that weren’t fletched. I strip and refletch. With the new dozen, I will get rid of the labels and “witness ring” too.

·
4,180 Posts
When I shot a bare shaft and it turned CW. Then i fletched a single vane loaded to ride inside the barrel cut out and it also spun CW. That pretty much sealed the deal for me add to that SamT's video. And it was nailed shut imo.

I'm a fan of QS vanes that spin the arrow CW. So in my case this has become a gotta have when i buy a string. I was lucky that my bows spin CW. If it hadn't i would have been searching for new strings. Not knocking left wing i have the stuff to fletch it. I just value QS vanes that much when it comes to shooting broadheads hunting.

I have been doing this a long time. Not knowing i was lol. I have a history of what it will do and how it shoots.

I got my lighted nock the other day i have a few arrows to build and shoot test. Then all 3 of my bows will be ready for season. All going with the flow :).

·
Registered
7,320 Posts
When I shot a bare shaft and it turned CW. Then i fletched a single vane loaded to ride inside the barrel cut out and it also spun CW. That pretty much sealed the deal for me add to that SamT's video. And it was nailed shut imo.

I'm a fan of QS vanes that spin the arrow CW. So in my case this has become a gotta have when i buy a string. I was lucky that my bows spin CW. If it hadn't i would have been searching for new strings. Not knocking left wing i have the stuff to fletch it. I just value QS vanes that much when it comes to shooting broadheads hunting.

I have been doing this a long time. Not knowing i was lol. I have a history of what it will do and how it shoots.

I got my lighted nock the other day i have a few arrows to build and shoot test. Then all 3 of my bows will be ready for season. All going with the flow :).
All ABB strings and cables? Built ccw?

81 - 100 of 156 Posts