Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spent the last 7 weeks sighting in my Grizzly and my Maximus 175. Seemed like every time I would take one of them out for some shooting I would have to re- sight them. Frustrating to say the least.
Finally I decided to start over. I spin tested a new dozen arrows and found 5 out of 12 that were good. Diablo's. Not good. Then checked my Victory Gander Mountain arrows and they were fine.
Then I decided to check my broadhead....Sever 1.7. Both of my practice heads were bent. 7 weeks of shooting in a Rinehart cube destroyed them.
After getting some new practice heads and spin testing them I was back in business. Both bows are shooting bullseyes at 20 30 and 40 yards. I guess my point for writing this is don't leave out any steps. The more time you spend with your arrows and broadheads the less trouble you will have sighting in. I am sure there will be many more variables that will pop up and hopefully I will be able to conquer them. I guess shooting crossbows can be as easy or as frustrating as you make it.
Bowhunterchuck

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
10,847 Posts
I’ve been shooting my Ravin 26 virtually all the time for right at 15 months, using standard .03” Ravin arrows, but shortened 2” so as they won’t be protruding out in front if the bow. Arrows are not a problem for me.......for several reasons. First is that I don’t shoot as many arrows per shooting session as I used to do. I only use 6 arrows, 4 with Raptor Trick broadheads for hunting and 2 practice Raptor Trick heads that shoot dead nuts with the broadheads out to 70 yards. All 6 were tested early on to verify that. Other than shortening the shafts 2”, I switched the Factory 80 Grain inserts to 110 grains to keep my arrow weight to 403 grains on the shortened arrows. I did no spine or straitness testing. I have a second box of 6 Ravin arrows that are still unopened. :giggle: Lastly, the way the red Raptor Trick practice heads are designed, they pull easily out of the Rinehart 18-1 broadhead target. It’s the only one I use now.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve been shooting my Ravin 26 virtually all the time for right at 15 months, using standard .03” Ravin arrows, but shortened 2” so as they won’t be protruding out in front if the bow. Arrows are not a problem for me.......for several reasons. First is that I don’t shoot as many arrows per shooting session as I used to do. I only use 6 arrows, 4 with Raptor Trick broadheads for hunting and 2 practice Raptor Trick heads that shoot dead nuts with the broadheads out to 70 yards. All 6 were tested early on to verify that. Other than shortening the shafts 2”, I switched the Factory 80 Grain inserts to 110 grains to keep my arrow weight to 403 grains on the shortened arrows. I did no spine or straitness testing. I have a second box of 6 Ravin arrows that are still unopened. :giggle: Lastly, the way the red Raptor Trick practice heads are designed, they pull easily out of the Rinehart 18-1 broadhead target. It’s the only one I use now. View attachment 179593
I may have to check out those broadheads. I have never found a practice head that matched the field tips. The best I have seen is the Sevr.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
It's definitely not as easy as most compound archers seem to think it is.;) I've learned to do what works for me, so I can be sure when I take a shot at game that I've covered all the equipment issues that I can.
Dido !!!!

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
142 Posts
I’ve been shooting my Ravin 26 virtually all the time for right at 15 months, using standard .03” Ravin arrows, but shortened 2” so as they won’t be protruding out in front if the bow. Arrows are not a problem for me.......for several reasons. First is that I don’t shoot as many arrows per shooting session as I used to do. I only use 6 arrows, 4 with Raptor Trick broadheads for hunting and 2 practice Raptor Trick heads that shoot dead nuts with the broadheads out to 70 yards. All 6 were tested early on to verify that. Other than shortening the shafts 2”, I switched the Factory 80 Grain inserts to 110 grains to keep my arrow weight to 403 grains on the shortened arrows. I did no spine or straitness testing. I have a second box of 6 Ravin arrows that are still unopened. :giggle: Lastly, the way the red Raptor Trick practice heads are designed, they pull easily out of the Rinehart 18-1 broadhead target. It’s the only one I use now. View attachment 179593
+1

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Any time I have seen this it is the scope or something to do with the scope.

Reactions: bowhunterchuck
1 - 8 of 8 Posts