Crossbow Nation banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've hunted at tall pines a few times now, nice folks! The ranch owner preps breakfast and invites us to eat every morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I've hunted at tall pines a few times now, nice folks! The ranch owner preps breakfast and invites us to eat every morning.

Yep, very easy to get along with and very accommodating. I enjoyed the hunt. BTW, I just got a little lucky and won a hunt at Independence Ranch. I go next Wed. :)

I'd like to run into on of this guys big brothers:

Reactions: misterthi

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yep, very easy to get along with and very accommodating. I enjoyed the hunt. BTW, I just got a little lucky and won a hunt at Independence Ranch. I go next Wed. :)

I'd like to run into on of this guys big brothers:

Oh my goodness I have never seen a monster that big before! Good luck!!!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Great story TX!
I don't know why, but I just don't remember to check Crossbow Chronicles. I think it's because I go to the trophy room and well, I don't know. Anyhow, I love pork!

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks Bob!

You've seen my picture and can tell I'm a fan of the dinner table and pork is a favorite at our house.

I was luck enough to find an almost new condition, four year old upright freezer last week at an estate sale. I hauled it home today and tucked it in to the attached garage. The Mrs. loves the game I bring home but this last hog hunt would have us on overflow if we had not added the freezer. I'll post some pictures next week as we rearrange the freezers.

KubyHog1.JPG

·
Registered
833 Posts
Thanks Bob!

You've seen my picture and can tell I'm a fan of the dinner table and pork is a favorite at our house.

I was luck enough to find an almost new condition, four year old upright freezer last week at an estate sale. I hauled it home today and tucked it in to the attached garage. The Mrs. loves the game I bring home but this last hog hunt would have us on overflow if we had not added the freezer. I'll post some pictures next week as we rearrange the freezers.

View attachment 36045
That is a definitely a bunch of meat! Nice score on the freezer too!

I learned how to home can my venison this year. What a great feeling it is to know that not only did I kill and clean it, but I've also processed it in a way that it is ready to eat.
My wife has always put up fruit, veggies and jam so we looked it up. Man are we glad I did! I throw a few Chipotle peppers in with the ground stuff too. But I am a true chili-head, love the heat n flavor.

I can only imagine how wonderfully tender a hog would be, canned with seasonings. I think I just drooled a little...
I'll have to put out a "want to hunt hog in SE Ohio" thread somewhere.

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks Bob!

View attachment 36045
Well, we may have underestimated our freezer needs...... :eek: This is before any rearrangement but it's all good!

Freezer2.JPG

217 lbs in all. Two huge boned hams, ribs, backstraps, tenderloins, breakfast sausage (mild and hot), jalapeno cheddar and chipotle jack hot links and my favorite jalapeno cheddar summer sausage.

Thank you mother nature, the wild hog nation, TenPoint/Horton, SSAS, Grim Reaper and a host of others that made this hunt another one to remember.

Our God is good gentlemen!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Well, we may have underestimated our freezer needs...... :eek: This is before any rearrangement but it's all good!

View attachment 36071

217 lbs in all. Two huge boned hams, ribs, backstraps, tenderloins, breakfast sausage (mild and hot), jalapeno cheddar and chipotle jack hot links and my favorite jalapeno cheddar summer sausage.

Thank you mother nature, the wild hog nation, TenPoint/Horton, SSAS, Grim Reaper and a host of others that made this hunt another one to remember.

Our God is good gentlemen!
He is good indeed!
I'm might have to come out and show you how to can. Lol!

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
That is a definitely a bunch of meat! Nice score on the freezer too!

I learned how to home can my venison this year. What a great feeling it is to know that not only did I kill and clean it, but I've also processed it in a way that it is ready to eat.
My wife has always put up fruit, veggies and jam so we looked it up. Man are we glad I did! I throw a few Chipotle peppers in with the ground stuff too. But I am a true chili-head, love the heat n flavor.

I can only imagine how wonderfully tender a hog would be, canned with seasonings. I think I just drooled a little...
I'll have to put out a "want to hunt hog in SE Ohio" thread somewhere.
Hey Bob, I took this sow at Tar Hallow State Park about three years ago. I saw her along with another sow and about six piglets. This was my first and so far only time hunting hogs in Ohio, but they are here. I talked to the Ohio DNR to find out where my best chances were and gave it a shot and it paid off. The other pigs I saw had colorations much like you see on the farm. This black one presented a shot with my muzzleloader, so I took her. She wasn't big by any means, but my first attempt hunting them when I thought even seeing one was a long shot. It turned out pretty well. Not to snipe this thread, I just wanted you to know Ohio does have a small population of wild hogs and not that far from you. She made good barbecue, and sausage. I was quite pleased.
IMG_0256.JPG

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
He is good indeed!
I'm might have to come out and show you how to can. Lol!
I may take you up on that Bob. My sister in law just told us how they also can venison and moose meat that her son's bring home and it's delicious.

Reactions: 1eyedbob

·
Registered
833 Posts
Hey Bob, I took this sow at Tar Hallow State Park about three years ago. I saw her along with another sow and about six piglets. This was my first and so far only time hunting hogs in Ohio, but they are here. I talked to the Ohio DNR to find out where my best chances were and gave it a shot and it paid off. The other pigs I saw had colorations much like you see on the farm. This black one presented a shot with my muzzleloader, so I took her. She wasn't big by any means, but my first attempt hunting them when I thought even seeing one was a long shot. It turned out pretty well. Not to snipe this thread, I just wanted you to know Ohio does have a small population of wild hogs and not that far from you. She made good barbecue, and sausage. I was quite pleased.
View attachment 36075
Thanks Educator, that's a fine hog! I do know Southern Ohio has a hog problem and it's open season statewide on them. Tar Hollow huh, not far at all.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I may take you up on that Bob. My sister in law just told us how they also can venison and moose meat that her son's bring home and it's delicious.
It is definitely well worth the time it takes. You can even thaw and can what you have. That's what I did in preparation of that elusive third deer I didn't bag:(

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Thanks Educator, that's a fine hog! I do know Southern Ohio has a hog problem and it's open season statewide on them. Tar Hollow huh, not far at all.
DNR stated to take as many as I want as they are causing a lot of destruction. Well, not as easy as it sounds, those critters are fast and are gone if they see , hear or smell you.

Reactions: 1eyedbob
21 - 35 of 35 Posts