Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

The taxidermist that I use, Gary at Rhodes Brothers in Kerrville called today to tell me my hog mount was ready. I attached a picture of the hog, this is the first one I ever took (or saw for that matter). Came into the feeder while I was deer hunting at dusk, he will be going up on my living room wall on Sunday evening. If anyone on here will be in South Texas this weekend I will be at Bass Pro on Sunday in San Antonio for Mossy Oak. Feel free to stop by and say hi.

Jake

Attachments

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
You have great taste in taxidermist. He's been mine for ten years and also a great friend. He and his family are like part of our family. Also, he makes the very best dry ring, so after you get a deer down, tell him to give you a sample and consider having some of the meat made into dry ring. I have to shoot a deer each year for my dad so he can have his dry ring order. That's all we eat is jerky and dry ring with backstraps separate of course. He also makes some awesome things we call buck sticks a out of my exotic deer.
Also, I have to combo to the walk in cooler if you ever need it in the middle of the night. Seems that's when I'm there to drop off hogs all the time. I hunt 15 minutes from Garys.
Did you know his dad before he died? We just loved him. He passed away while hunting Elk with all his old buddies in Colorado two years ago. He was stalking back up the mountain where he spotted a big Elk earlier, and had a heart attack and died instantly. That's the best way to go I guess. While doing what you love, with all your best buddies.
I'll honk when we drive by BassPro this morning! Going to look at that lease!
Oh! And that is a great boar! Congrats! I have probably seen your mount. Next time you come to Kerrville, give me a heads up and we'll get together. Even at Garys. I always have business to do at Garys, and we do meet with others at the shop quite often.
Can't wait till you get your next big boy! It's addicting.

·
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rhodes

I meet Gary at Bass Pro last year and I have had him do several animals for me. Two Rams heads, the hog and another hog skull as well as 1 doe (which was almost all made into that dry ring). I think he is very honest and have suggested many others use him. I don't even like to hunt to far from him for transportation reasons!
Urban, thats for the comment! The story of that hog is funny, I am proud of him especially since I wasn't even out looking for hogs.

Jake

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Well I saw your hog mount before you did today. Nice! It's obvious he's a hill country hog with his color mix. Missed you though. Shucks! Didn't miss those loud guns in the front of the store though. Argh! We had to run in and pick up some new trailer guides for the boat. We wre going bow fishing tonight, but these storms are popping up everywhere. I can't get wet. I'm made of sugar and might melt. he he!

·
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hog Mount

Well here he is, I got him on the wall in the living room (much to the dismay of my wife).

Jake

Attachments

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
That is a mean looking sucker!:eek:

No way would my wife go for that:D

Great work.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
What are ya'll talking about? I decorate with dead stuff! Hogs and European hog & javelina skulls as well. Even Rattlesnakes! Seriously! I have two pieces of art on all the walls in my house. The rest is dead stuff. When we moved to this house, I told Butch I was not putting my mounts in storage and I didn't. But I did run out of wall space. When you were at Garys, did you see a red stag and an Asian Buffalo mount on the front wall? I can't bring them home because I don't have anywhere to squeeze them into. I even have 2 sailfish mounted OUTSIDE on the walls.
Now if you would let her shoot a hog and have it mounted then it would be okay. LMAO! She would be decorating with dead stuff too AND showing them to everyone who walked in the door.
Here, let me show you. Se that spot up high in the corner? That's the last of free space but there's a javelina mount sitting on the floor waiting for that spot.
(Which I just mentioned to Butch so he's getting the drill for me. THANKS!)
Jake,
I have your hogs cousin on my wall! I'll see if I can find a pic and show you.

Attachments

·
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool

That bobcat mount is awesome! My goal beside some does this year (I need 4 or 5 more for a blazer) is a Javelina. I got the entrance fee for the EWA awards and my daughter will hopefully get a doe for her entrance.

Jake

PS all the others look cool as well.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
JakeinTX said:
That bobcat mount is awesome! My goal beside some does this year (I need 4 or 5 more for a blazer) is a Javelina. I got the entrance fee for the EWA awards and my daughter will hopefully get a doe for her entrance.

Jake

PS all the others look cool as well.
You're talking bout the Big Buck contest. I have something to tell you about the contest, but not on here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts