Crossbow Nation banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
1,071 Posts
Congratulations RabidPSUfan chalk another one up for the Backstrap Assasins!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Another tango down. Good job

·
475 Posts
Hello fellow assassins. I didn’t get any back-story but apparently Dave Hawk had to dropout. As if that wasn’t bad enough, you guys are also getting stuck with me as a replacement! I’ll do my best to put some points on the board for the team. I’ve been in the tree stand a few times this season but not much moving just yet. We are still having some 80 degree days and not much showing up on the trail cams either.

I’ve been an archer since I was 12 and a hunter just about as long. Didn’t really get serious about bow hunting until about 5ish years ago. (I lost my shotgun duck hunting and never replaced it) I made the transition to X-bow 2 or 3 years ago due to a shoulder injury. I live in Iowa where the X-bow is still an “outlaw” unless you are handicapped or elderly. Thanks to a motorcycle accident with a deer, I now qualify for a X-bow permit.

I can take one buck, all the does I can shoot and turkey or two. Once the weather cools off a little, I’ll try to fill some tags for the team (any my freezer). I’m glad to be here and I’ll do my best to fill the shoes of Dave Hawk.

·
276 Posts
Welcome aboard brother!
You are a welcome addition to our team...

I have taken three more "baldies" since that posting of the photo.....unfortunately they don't count for anything more than tasty meat in the freezer.
I have yet to see any horns but the best time is yet to come!

Man, that new Tenpoint Carbon Fusion CLS is one sweet shooting bow...I love it!
I have not chrono'd it but I would have to say that the advertised speed of 345 fps is pretty much right on the money.. I shot a doe at the end of the week at 30 yards with a Spitfire MAXX...arrow passed through and drove the broadhead completely into the tree behind her....YIKES!
Needless to say, the broadhead is a permanent addition to the woods :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Awesome. It's stupid that we can't claim all we kill.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I wasn't talking about deer. I'm talking about Armadillos and other critters that don't count.

·
475 Posts
I wish we could get points for skeeters. It is still hot here and I get chewed up every time I get in the tree. We could really use a cold snap to put the skeeters down and the deer up......

·
Registered
138 Posts
Get a thermacell. They work great.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I wouldnt have believed it if I wouldnt have seen it with my own eyes. The first year I got mine I was in my blind and the skeeters found me. I remembered I had it in my pack. I fired it up and watched the skeeters fly out the windows. I figured it was a fluke, so I turned it back off. In came the skeeters. Turned it back on, out they went. I was sold. I bought mine on my buddies recommendation after he went bear hunting and the skeeters and no see ums about ran him out of his stand. His guide told him about the Thermacell and he got one and had no more bug problems. I will say this, dont leave it inside your blind, it will make you sick. Place it just outside on the upwind side and it will still provide protection. I think it even says dont use in in-closed spaces. But you know how we men are. We dont read directions and have to find out the hard way. Heres another great use. After the pad has been used up, save it. Put some doe in heat or your favorite potion on it, and then you have a scent warmer. This also works very good. If you dont like buying the refill butane, you can get on youtube and search how to refill thermacell bottles and the video will take you step by step on how to make the bottle refillable with butane you get anywhere they sell smokes.

·
475 Posts
Had a nice brisk morning and I got into the tree early. Couldn't pass on this little gal, needed some steaks for the freezer and I thought I should start earning some points for the team. :bbq:

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sweet. Tender backstraps. It's youth weekend here OK. My son smoked a huge doe at 98 yards. I smoked a coyote at 150yds. It had mange all over it. Looked like a Chupacabra

·
1,071 Posts
Welcome Scumhunter to the backstrap assasins! Congratulations on that doe you shot also. Im a bit slow going these first two weeks. My sister was diagnosed with stage four cancer. She put up a good fight but the Good Lord saw fit to take her home. Her funeral services was the beginning of this week. She only made it about three weeks after she found out.Straightening out a few family things and then I will get into hunting.Im taking her dog shes old 13 years and my niece and nephew have kids so the dog cant stay with them.Ill be getting her tomorrow try and give her a good life and take care of my sisters old friend.Hopefully next time I post its about a Tango Down!!

·
475 Posts
Sorry for your loss, sounds like you have a lot going on right now. I hope things calm down so you can get some much deserved time in the woods.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts