Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The good, bad, and ugly. I will talk with a few dealers as well, but they are selling of course, so your hands on experiences are much more valuable to me. I have searched the archives here as well.
Just trying to gather as much information as possible.

I was looking hard at used 320’s, but want a little more, as well as warranty.

I’m zeroing in on this for my next purchase. I hunt deer and shoot for fun. Shots on deer would never be over 40 yards, probably 30 or less.

I am in my early ‘70’s, in good shape, and want to hunt for a long time yet.

I currently own and hunt with a CP370. It is a very functional bow, and I can decock it. I just want something a little nicer for my “golden years”.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I use the sub 1 lite for competition right now. A very stable bow…..balance is excellent. Very good quality overal but I feel they could have added a few things like a lower rail assembly, level, stirrup……but those are available after you purchase it. Easy to cock with a rope….I now have the rds crank which is money for me….added weight to the rear is nice for balance. Accurate and quiet. Note……use aluminum nocks only or you will void the warranty and their bolts come with them. You can also “press” the bow without a press….big bonus. Speeds wither arrow…..up to 335….mine goes 333-334. Only drawback is if you accidentally actuate the safety before it is cocked but you can put a nockend in and click it back…..make sure you are not doing that to a cocked bow. And……it is easy to de-cock this bow. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What weight arrow should be used. I see 350 grains in their speed advertisement, but see 400 grains frequently recommended.

Can you clarify accidentally accuating the safety?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Putting it on safe without meaning to….semantics. I plan on building a 390-400 gr arrow with a 80 gr insert, 100 gr point, HEAT vanes, and aluminum nock…..all on/in a executioner shaft.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don’t understand the metal nock requirement.

Doesn‘t Mission make/sell lighted nocks on their arrows, and aren’t they plastic?

·
Registered
417 Posts
I wanted something I could shoot all day without wearing myself out. The accuracy reviews got me interested. Some noted with humor that a one armed vertically challenged individual could rope cock this bow.

I wanted a quality product made in America. This bow has a great trigger. I added a rail mounted bubble, stirrup, and pic rail. Added an hha. Looking for a bipod.

Bow has exceeded my expectations. I plan on shooting beyond 60 yards with this bow this year. Long range target shooting is my goal. Broke a scope (dropped). Things will get interesting when I get the 4.5 - 18 back on (AO) and get it dialed iin with the hha.

Edit. Shooting bloodsport witness from Walmart. 36 / 6. One of the best things about this bow. Shoots cheap arrows well.
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle tire

Wood Rectangle Font Art Gas

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I don’t understand the metal nock requirement.

Doesn‘t Mission make/sell lighted nocks on their arrows, and aren’t they plastic?
No Mission does not make lighted nocks, n yes people do use them. Yes they could void warranty if they wanted to if you had damage using them. Mission is getting like other Companies requiring certain nocks or voided warranty. I personally will not conform to Companies trying to make you use their nock or nock style. Its my crossbow n i paid for it. Screw'em

·
Registered
788 Posts
You mentioned you are able bodied, so just keep in mind that the speed specs listed by mission are using 350gn arrows. So if/when you go with heavier arrows for hunting, that 335fps speed spec of the Sub-1 Lite will peel off considerably. May put you down closer to 300fps. You can absolutely hunt with that speed. Not saying otherwise. But it may be a good reason to also consider the base model Sub-1 to bump up that speed a bit and get a bit more flatness on the trajectories. With hunting weight arrows that would put you closer to that 350fps mark which is a bit of a sweet spot, IMO. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you look on the Mission website, they list 19” arrows with lighted nocks made by Clean Shot that are designated safe for use with the Sub 1 series, and they are plastic.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
If you look on the Mission website, they list 19” arrows with lighted nocks made by Clean Shot that are designated safe for use with the Sub 1 series, and they are plastic.
I have n do use Luminoks in my arrows that i shoot out of my 3 MXB's. Reall y those alum. half moons are for MXB400 n the XR. You get an XR drop your speed down to the 365 fps area n your in like Flint !

·
Registered
316 Posts
I’m 76 years old and just finished my third season with the sub-1 lite. I set up for my shots to be between 20 and 30 yds.
I have killed everything I’ve shot at…I’ve killed 5 whitetails and two hogs and had pass throughs on all kills…All animal expired in 50yds or less…Before I bought the Sub - 1, I did a lot of research and shot several different crossbows. I wanted a crossbow that I could rope cock. The Sub-1 has 70 % let off cams making it a breeze to cock.…the bow is accurate, quite and easy to work on, no press needed. Buy it, you won’t be sorry.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi ....just got home from the ranch so now I have a little time to research this aluminum nock business. Mission RECOMMENDS the use of aluminum nocks to prevent dry fires caused by poly nock failures. I may have been reflecting back on a discussion I had with Jason at Black Eagle where he was adamant I glue in aluminum nocks. I had a limb get a splinter on the edge and took it to my mission dealer to see if it would cause anything and the first thing he wanted to know was what arrow/nock configuration I was using so I showed him my arrows with an aluminum nock. Then he started looking for evidence of a dry fire and could find none....can be caused by the nock NOT being fully seated against the string so I showed him how I nocked my arrows. Also, the Mathews/Mission shooter on CBN shoots Polycarbonate nocks instead of aluminum so you point is well founded.
Fred

Also....on a last note....call them and get a direct answer from them then share it with us. They will answer any and all questions you have.

·
Registered
Vertical bows and Tenpoint Viper
162 Posts
I love my Sub 1 - lite. I'm hunting with 450 grain arrows and it is very accurate out to 60 yards with a Slick Trick broadhead. On my 79th birthday I took this pronghorn with it; but he was only 20 yards away when I shot. I was prepared to shot one out to 60 yards but that was not necessary. Good luck with whatever you chose.
Fawn Goat-antelope Deer Tail Horn

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I called Mission and discussed their nock requirement. Asked if metal nocks were required, the first answer was yes. I then asked about the plastic nocks on the Mission lighted nock arrows. Then things got a little fuzzy. Ended up saying that the plastic nocks that Mission uses are okay, but those made by other manufacturers are not.

I came away from the conversation still a little uncertain.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I called Mission and discussed their nock requirement. Asked if metal nocks were required, the first answer was yes. I then asked about the plastic nocks on the Mission lighted nock arrows. Then things got a little fuzzy. Ended up saying that the plastic nocks that Mission uses are okay, but those made by other manufacturers are not.

I came away from the conversation still a little uncertain.
Hahaha ……I am feeling the love here! Congrats on the bow as you will like it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Mission Sub One series
1,747 Posts
I'm "going to war" this season using a pair of Sub One Lites. Arrows will be in the 400+ total weight..one bow will topped with a Burris Oracle X and the other with a Holosun 512 red dot. Broad of choice will probably be a Tooth of the Arrow 100/125 grain standard 1". I used a Lite two years back during our Winter bow season to take a pair of doe... zero issues killing either of those two deer. Bow is quiet, accurate to a fault and so easy to cock/de-cock.
And I use Lumenock parker style capture illuminated nocks...zero issues with these.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts