Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased inserts and TenPoint Alpha nocks to insert into my Carbon Express Pile Driver bolts. Lo and behold, the inside diameter of the Pile driver nocks are .285 and the bolts that came with my new Tenpoint Shadow are .297.
It appears that Tenpoint has cornered the market and only their bolts can be retrofitted with their nocks. Therefore the 6 Pile driver bolts I have are useless unless someone knows a way to retrofit them with the new Alpha nock that is required by Tenpoint for my Shadow.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
As you mention, the Carbon Express Pile Driver arrows have a different inner diameter.
The nocks used average 14 grain as compared to normal 1/2 moon nocks that are 10 or 12
grain depending where they are purchased. The nock is longer outside the shaft and longer
inside the shaft. The Carbon Express Pile Driver arrows are very rigid and if the crossbow
is properly tuned with a good shooter, are extremely accurate.

I do a lot of target shooting and these are my main arrows with thousands of shots on them.
They are used in multiple crossbows set to various speeds.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Alpha Nock receivers come in three sizes from .297 to .305. These are the most popular sizes, Your arrows are thicker walled and higher GPI. I had the same trouble with my GT Nitro 500. Hard to find nocks for them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As you mention, the Carbon Express Pile Driver arrows have a different inner diameter.
The nocks used average 14 grain as compared to normal 1/2 moon nocks that are 10 or 12
grain depending where they are purchased. The nock is longer outside the shaft and longer
inside the shaft. The Carbon Express Pile Driver arrows are very rigid and if the crossbow
is properly tuned with a good shooter, are extremely accurate.

I do a lot of target shooting and these are my main arrows with thousands of shots on them.
They are used in multiple crossbows set to various speeds.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.
I spoke to a rep at Tenpoint about the difference in diameter and she said I could lightly sand or trim the approximately .012 off of the nock so they would fit. Have you or anyone else done this? My concern would be not getting a uniform trimming around the nock.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I spoke to a rep at Tenpoint about the difference in diameter and she said I could lightly sand or trim the approximately .012 off of the nock so they would fit. Have you or anyone else done this? My concern would be not getting a uniform trimming around the nock.
Would weaken the nock. I would not do it. If you are set on using them buy new arrows.

Reactions: bunnyrabbit

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
If you had access to a small bench type drill press you could put a nock in it.
Set the drill press at a lower speed. To do this, open the top where the drive
pulleys and belt are. One pully starts out large going smaller while the other
starts out small and going larger. It is just a matter of moving the belt to a different
pulley groove to change the speed.
A small lathe will work too.
Do a wee bit, then check with a micrometer.
If the nock has a hollow center, then as "archer36" mentions it could weaken the nock.
The representative mentions .012. If this is off the total diameter, then one is only removing
.006 from the edge.

I have used the 1/2 moon Clean Shot Nock Out lighted nocks that have adapters for various
inner arrow shaft diameters, but the nock itself is designed different.

Not knocking the style or brand of crossbow that an individual purchases but for me I will
never purchase a crossbow that requires proprietory arrows or nocks. Using 1/2 moon nocks
I can add an extra layer of BCY .030 serving in the arrow latch area to further save my bow
string and greatly increase the number of shots before reserving the top layer.

Wishing you all the best with what ever you decide.
Take care.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had difficulty finding heavier inserts for my Surge (pre piledriver) & Blue Streak Carbon Express arrows. Resorted to lathe turing of Horton brass inserts with my 100gr broadheads. My experience show FOC weight was low on all Carbon Express arrows tried and performance improved greatly with an increase of weight. Total weight of 20" Surge is 492gr & Blue Streak Maxima is 460gr including 100gr tip.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts