Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Tenpoint Viper S400 and today while shooting it for the first time the string broke on my 3rd shot. Im confident i did everything right and am very careful to seat the bolt correctly and i always double check everything before I shoot.

Im not sure what happened but there is some damage to the nock which is strange.

Any idea what could have went wrong? again im confident the bolt was seated properly against the string before firing so im really confused and unsure what to do next.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I had a similar situation with my Ten Point Stealth. I was led to believe that the string went over/under the nock when I fired it. The bow was new to me, purchased "slightly" used off Ebay. It came with the older style Omni nocks. This was what was suggested to be another part of the failure. I upgraded to a Ten Point Viper S400 with the newer Alpha nocks. This is most likely what you're shooting. It sounds like the failure was the same, just now you're using the newer nocks meant to correct this infrequent issue. I'm curious to hear what the Ten Point Rep. will say. I'm pretty sure he'll give you input soon. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
I recently purchased a Tenpoint Viper S400 and today while shooting it for the first time the string broke on my 3rd shot. Im confident i did everything right and am very careful to seat the bolt correctly and i always double check everything before I shoot.

Im not sure what happened but there is some damage to the nock which is strange.

Any idea what could have went wrong? again im confident the bolt was seated properly against the string before firing so im really confused and unsure what to do next.
Sorry to hear that.
Rest assured TenPoint will help you.
First off, I would contact the dealer you purchased from, explain what happened and send pictures.
Secondly, as CBHunter replied, a TenPoint Rep monitors these very Forums quite frequently so you may get a message from them as well.
Good luck and please do keep us posted.

·
Happy Member
5,433 Posts
Looks like a partial dry fire to me. It only takes a fraction of the nock not seated properly on the string to cause that. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Same thing just happened on my Vengent. I’m also sure the bolt was seated correctly. Your lucky that the cables didn’t go also. My cables went and cams are also damaged.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Same thing just happened on my Vengent. I’m also sure the bolt was seated correctly. Your lucky that the cables didn’t go also. My cables went and cams are also damaged.
Took a closer look at my cams after reading your comment and the cams also were damaged..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ALWAYS check the bolt to make sure its seated correctly before firing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And cams and probably axles too ........
Ouch...damage is much worse than i thought

My previous crossbow, which I still own, is a Centerpoint that i paid $350 for and have had for years and never had a single issue. I also own a compound bow and never had any issues. This is my first high priced crossbow after owning multiple low-mid priced crossbows so for it to malfunction is really concerning.

Hopefully the folks at Tenpoint will take care of it. I'm going to contact them this morning.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ouch...damage is much worse than i thought

My previous crossbow, which I still own, is a Centerpoint that i paid $350 for and have had for years and never had a single issue. I also own a compound bow and never had any issues. This is my first high priced crossbow after owning multiple low-mid priced crossbows so for it to malfunction is really concerning.

Hopefully the folks at Tenpoint will take care of it. I'm going to contact them this morning.
I’m sure they will mine is getting fixed right now

·
Registered
31 Posts
Great! Did they say how long it will take? Assuming they are covering it free of charge? And did you just call the support line to start the process?
I took mine to a local tenpoint dealer. They called and TP is sending them everything to fix it. No charge no questions asked.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I took mine to a local tenpoint dealer. They called and TP is sending them everything to fix it. No charge no questions asked.
I just got off the phone with Tenpoint support. I have 2 options, send it to Tenpoint with 2-4 week turnaround or take it to a authorized dealer. I called a local dealer, 1 hour away, and was told it would most likely be covered under warranty based on what I told them happened. They asked what arrows and nocks i was using and when i explained i was using all of the standard parts, I was told there shouldn't be a problem getting it repaired at no cost to me.

I will keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I just got off the phone with Tenpoint support. I have 2 options, send it to Tenpoint with 2-4 week turnaround or take it to a authorized dealer. I called a local dealer, 1 hour away, and was told it would most likely be covered under warranty based on what I told them happened. They asked what arrows and nocks i was using and when i explained i was using all of the standard parts, I was told there shouldn't be a problem getting it repaired at no cost to me.

I will keep you guys posted.
I came close to buying one of the "new" bows with the internal crank. Then I said, "what if it fails in the middle of a out of state or worse, out of country hunt?" You are screwed. You may have 1 or 2 B/U bows at home and it will ruin a 1/2 day hunt but this was not acceptable to me. I opted to buy a bow with the ability to cock with the proper manual mechanism.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I came close to buying one of the "new" bows with the internal crank. Then I said, "what if it fails in the middle of a out of state or worse, out of country hunt?" You are screwed. You may have 1 or 2 B/U bows at home and it will ruin a 1/2 day hunt but this was not acceptable to me. I opted to buy a bow with the ability to cock with the proper manual mechanism.
I agree and I was going to sell my centerpoint but now I think im going to keep it as a backup. Sucks that I have to do that but with any mechanical device, there is the possibility of something failing so its good to have a backup for those big hunts!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Oh boy....Now I'm worried. I better get out and shoot this joker this weekend. TP will definitely take care of your problem though, about that I have little doubt. There HAS to be something more to these occurrences however. Granted malfunctions and defective parts come on all manufacturers' bows at some point and time, but when it becomes a consistent issue, that worries me going forward.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts