Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Viper has lost over 15fps since early fall, I am assuming string stretch. It was shooting Evo x arrows at over 370 and now 350.This bow has not been shot a lot, less than 50 times. Does anyone have the ATA specs and where timing marks should be?

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
ATA should be 11" uncocked. I'll get you cam timing info. in a bit.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called Tenpoint and they said 11" from center of axles and timing marks and could vary up to 1/.2 inch and centered between four dots on the cam aligned with limbs. Mine is measuring 11 5/8 so definitely stretched. I had hoped they would tell me definite specs not varying up to 1/2- that is a lot of variance on a sort ata bow. .

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this common with factory strings? Less than 50 shots and only a few months old and they have stretched that much? Seems like it would be hard to keep zeroed?
I hope not but it has happened to this one. And I do not have a press to fit it so back to the shop I go and to twist it up. But these things are over 200lb pull so probably stretch is part of the game.

·
Ten Point Viper S400
252 Posts
It may be a common theme on these bows...
I had about 80 shots over about 2 months when I noticed the speed dropping off (349-350). Started adding the occasional twists. Around 120 shots it got to the point of not being able to tune any more due to too many twists and the string was starting to bunch. Ordered another full string and cable set from 10 Point (@ $130). Cable length was fine, but my string had stretched a full 1 9/16" when compared to the new factory string. I've asked 10 Point before who their string builder is and their response was they have various companies who build strings for them... maybe we just got a couple bad strings. I've got absolutely no complaints with the bow itself, but if this new string even comes remotely close to stretching as much as the first one, warranty or not, I'll be looking elsewhere for a replacement.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It may be a common theme on these bows...
I had about 80 shots over about 2 months when I noticed the speed dropping off (349-350). Started adding the occasional twists. Around 120 shots it got to the point of not being able to tune any more due to too many twists and the string was starting to bunch. Ordered another full string and cable set from 10 Point (@ $130). Cable length was fine, but my string had stretched a full 1 9/16" when compared to the new factory string. I've asked 10 Point before who their string builder is and their response was they have various companies who build strings for them... maybe we just got a couple bad strings. I've got absolutely no complaints with the bow itself, but if this new string even comes remotely close to stretching as much as the first one, warranty or not, I'll be looking elsewhere for a replacement.
Yes I will be too and according to the ata now I have lost over an inch. That's a lot with only 50 shots. Anyone know of a custom string builder.

·
Ten Point Viper S400
252 Posts
I'd give Marty a shot, but I haven't heard of anyone on here that has had a string built by him for any of the new tenpoints yet... wouldn't know if he has the specs or not. Wouldn't hurt to try to PM him and ask. I'm yet to see anything negative about any of the strings he's built for other members here...

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
OK, here's some Viper string and cam info. to process which supports the detail you received from TenPoint.

- A 100 shot Viper has a ATA of 11.5" and the cam dot shows 1.75 inside the limb on both cams, which is just slightly past the center of the 4 dot set. Bow speed is right on at 366 fps with the CenterPunch arrows.

- A new "on the rack Viper" has an ATA of 11.25" and shows right at the center of the 4 dot set on both limbs.

I'd put some twists in the string and see if that helps get you back in the ballpark for speed.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
37 Posts
My Viper has lost over 15fps since early fall, I am assuming string stretch. It was shooting Evo x arrows at over 370 and now 350.This bow has not been shot a lot, less than 50 times. Does anyone have the ATA specs and where timing marks should be?
Dang. Been lurking this site for a while now while searching to upgrade my current rig. De-cocking is the big deal as my current setup is plenty fast, killed many deer......I keep going back to the Viper as the perfect setup, but this post has me a bit concerned. The upgraded rail that boasts longer string life is a major selling point to me.... This “stretching“ thing gives me pause

·
Registered
TenPoint Viper S400 / Horton Vortec RDX
417 Posts
The Viper is a thing of beauty. No need to worry.

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
Dang. Been lurking this site for a while now while searching to upgrade my current rig. De-cocking is the big deal as my current setup is plenty fast, killed many deer......I keep going back to the Viper as the perfect setup, but this post has me a bit concerned. The upgraded rail that boasts longer string life is a major selling point to me.... This “stretching“ thing gives me pause
The Viper is a thing of beauty. No need to worry.
Yup, as Toker stated, no worries.
The Viper is undoubtedly "best in class" as many, many Members here who own one will agree.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea it's a great crossbow,and they all have string stretch. Hey I had a Ravin R10 and i really didn't worry about stretch I worried about when it would break. They were really hard on strings. The bad thing is custom strings will probably void warranty. I have an extra brand new set to out on if I need to. I also just bought a used Nemesis 420 and it is a different animal all together, it is a low poundage wonder shooting a 435 gr arrow at 401fps with 140 pound draw. The Viper is a great narrow crossbow with a great cocking feature and a decent trigger. Now the trigger on the Nemesis is as good as any custom rifle I have.

·
Ten Point Viper S400
252 Posts
@Lettem Walk, don't let what you're reading here deter you from taking a real serious look at the Viper. It is truly an awesome piece of equipment. As I stated earlier, Ten Point claims that they have several different vendors building strings/cables for them. IMO, it is possible that maybe some of us just ended up with some strings that one vendor built that aren't quite up to par with what another vendor might produce. This has no bearing on the build quality of the bow, just the build quality of the string...

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Exactly and it's not uncommon, especially on the more powerful narrow bows. The heavier the limbs the more frequent the use the more string and cable stretch you will see. Something that can be managed or in some cases fixed with a string change when that's necessary. Out of the thousands of Tech bows shipped, there has not been a trend of what Deadcenter has reported. As many here, I hope to see string material and string design improve and catch up with these modern marvels.

I've seen the same on the Ravin strings and I'm not a fan of the unserved ends. Also makes me wonder how on earth their new 500 is going to fare with what looks to be the most severe string angle of any narrow xbow to date.

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
I called Tenpoint and they said 11" from center of axles and timing marks and could vary up to 1/.2 inch and centered between four dots on the cam aligned with limbs. Mine is measuring 11 5/8 so definitely stretched. I had hoped they would tell me definite specs not varying up to 1/2- that is a lot of variance on a sort ata bow. .
Absolutely! What up with that? I"m going to get my ATA to 11" per Ten Point specs posted earlier. I just need to understand if you advance cams like traditional Xbows. Traditional Xbows all things being equal you advance Cams by twisting the cable strings not the bowstring. I just need clarity from Ten Point how to advance cams to 11", ATA.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
Turbo Gt and Viper S400
56 Posts
My new viper measured 11 1/4 inches, after 24 shots it measured 11 5/16 ATA

·
Registered
Turbo Gt and Viper S400
56 Posts
I bought my viper on a Saturday I was shipping it to ten point on the following Tuesday, my cam lean on one side was way off as was the timing, I didn't even fire a shot with it in that condition, I got it back within 2 weeks, cam lean still looks close as does the timing after 24 shots, things happen and I was alittle bummed but ten point got me fixed up in short time that's why I chose ten point years ago

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Not picking on any oem. Get yourself a set from Marty. He stretches under the the right amount of pressure ,his servings are tight. Real tight. Plenty of shooters on cbn to back me up.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts