Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past Thursday morning, on Thanksgiving day, I took my second doe of the season (as well as my second crossbow kill). While I have gun hunted for several years, this is my first multi-tag season. I am thankful that my freezer is full! And part of that thankfulness comes from being able to hunt with a crossbow in areas where gun hunting would be prohibited. This doe was taken in a hollow that leads into a 350 home subdivision.

While the Laser Strike II broadhead stayed intact this time, it will not live to see another day. The shot was from a makeshift ground blind set up on the side of the steep hollow to an abandoned service road (about 20 yards). She had walked into my feeder location about 25 minutes after first light.
Leaf Geology Rock
Insect Adaptation Plant Dragonflies and damseflies Soil

After the shot she ran 30 yards up the other side of the hollow and stood for a couple minutes. Then she walked about ten yards and bedded down. Within a few minutes she got back up and started walking back down the hill. At the bottom she started wobbling and ended up collapsing in a run-off creek bed--expiring soon after. No more than 10-15 minutes from shot to finish.

The shot was high left/back and exited low shoulder/forward right. It appeared to just clip the left lung but went straight through the right lung.
Canidae Dog Fawn Mountain cur Dog breed
Plant

I'll probably go out again this season (it goes to mid-January)...perhaps with my rifle (when taking the kids)...but most certainly again with my crossbow. I'm beginning to enjoy it so much--the challenge, the quietness, the intimacy with the prey--that I'm even thinking about picking up a compound bow in the off-season and training for next year!

·
Registered
Excalibur Vortex 330, Centerpoint Sniper 370, Centerpoint Patriot 425
16,877 Posts
Ive all but put down the rifles because of the things you have mentioned. Just loving everything about the crossbow myself.;) Congrats on that doe. She's a fine one for the freezer.:)

·
Registered
99 Posts
This past Thursday morning, on Thanksgiving day, I took my second doe of the season (as well as my second crossbow kill). While I have gun hunted for several years, this is my first multi-tag season. I am thankful that my freezer is full! And part of that thankfulness comes from being able to hunt with a crossbow in areas where gun hunting would be prohibited. This doe was taken in a hollow that leads into a 350 home subdivision.

While the Laser Strike II broadhead stayed intact this time, it will not live to see another day. The shot was from a makeshift ground blind set up on the side of the steep hollow to an abandoned service road (about 20 yards). She had walked into my feeder location about 25 minutes after first light.
View attachment 160350 View attachment 160352
After the shot she ran 30 yards up the other side of the hollow and stood for a couple minutes. Then she walked about ten yards and bedded down. Within a few minutes she got back up and started walking back down the hill. At the bottom she started wobbling and ended up collapsing in a run-off creek bed--expiring soon after. No more than 10-15 minutes from shot to finish.

The shot was high left/back and exited low shoulder/forward right. It appeared to just clip the left lung but went straight through the right lung.
View attachment 160354 View attachment 160356
I'll probably go out again this season (it goes to mid-January)...perhaps with my rifle (when taking the kids)...but most certainly again with my crossbow. I'm beginning to enjoy it so much--the challenge, the quietness, the intimacy with the prey--that I'm even thinking about picking up a compound bow in the off-season and training for next year!
Nice deer. Congrats

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.