Crossbow Nation banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
2,338 Posts
Again explain to me how identifying an animal makes any conceivable difference when you cannot legally shoot him? And two if you can legally shoot him then it's bright enough any binocular will do.
We can hunt 30 mins before and after sun set. I'll agree most of the time if you watch the time, your borderline poaching if not poaching. If your hunting a field during a clear sky. I heard of a guy the DNR busted because they saw his lighted nock from a distance. That was in flight after legal shooting times. He was using a vertical bow to boot. So no good glass.

But there is different places we hunt like under the canopy early season. I have hunted until dark in the early woods, only to walk out into a field and could still see to shoot and be legal shooting times. Then there cloudy rainy days like this morning. Its 6:07 sunrise is 6:27 and it's still dark. i can legally shoot right now but i can't see. Yesterday i could have borderline or poached by now.

Its 12 mins after now and still dark :).

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I have a pair of swaro 8.5 els that I got for a steal, and I emphasize STEAL at 600 bucks from a family friend. I love them, and throughly enjoy using them. But, I say this as an eastern hunter, western hunters need not comment. They're very few if any situations were having this top level glass brings you any closer to harvesting an animal. I've never known personally nor ever watched a top level whitetail hunter attribute their success to their binoculars. Never. The "well it'll let you see later in to dusk" always cracks me up. If you need this level of binos to identify a deer, shooting time has long past. What Im getting at is theres nothing wrong with spending this much if you enjoy the optics that much. Just understand it won't help you bag more deer than say a 500$ pair would. Only woodsmanship and understanding of the animal youre hunting will do that
I have to question how much time you spend finding better opportunities than is right before your eyes. My binos were way more important than my scope on most days! I also have to ask you if you have any idea how many animals you have educated coming and going pre and post hunting hours?

Fact is I have two mounts I can thank for my glass finding after legal hours! A huge bodied 10 point with short but very wide heavy rack scoring just under 150". He was caught as I was getting undressed at the road after an evening hunt, his movement crossing a field on a tree line on a hill some 600 yards across a road where I could hunt, but had seen no good sign.

5 days later with a plan and some scent trailing and lureing and I dropped him in a heavy foliaged bottom the last 5 minutes of legal light! Had I not had the Zeiss in the back of the Truck the night I seen the skylighted movement, I would have probably blown it off as another doe!

The other was a Buck Seen while glassing from stand across a small cove on public land, it required going much deeper to get where one could have a shot cutting him off before last legal shooting time, and actually why I was spending time in this stand to find what was available in this area. It gave me a very good vantage point to cover a very large area of what was available to me in this early season trip! It took a few nights going deep before he screwed up and showed himself durring legal hours, but when he did, he was there with over 30 minutes left to shoot! Just a 8 point, but scored 145 3/8" with a drop tine I didn't know was there even with good glass till that moment, and over a 22" inside spread, which was what drew me to him in the first place!

Seems you have your mind made up in a couple of your posts, but use tunnel vision, or really haven't had the experience to understand, hunting is more than making a kill during legal hours, and those who spend the extra time after they no longer can shoot to take advantage of the total hunting experience I am sure can give the same examples.

You might know what good glass is, but it appears you need some insight in putting it to better use,, if not like many others, you can do just as well with cheaper less able glass! Because there are times it truly makes a difference, during legal times, as well as before and after!

Reactions: Iron Duke

·
Registered
Aculeus 110, Micro Suppessor
71 Posts
Sorry, but I have a TactZone and it's a POS and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I am not at all sure whether the Hawkes are a step up or down, but they are not something that I would ever hunt with.
Depends on what you consider a pos. Worked well after dark in intermittent ,rainy conditions for me. Well enough that I would not have a doubt in my mind if it was my only xbow hunting scope. The lowest brightness setting works great in low light if you drain the battery down a little. Mine also came with see through flip up caps, that .... while not at same quality and functionality level of a pair of high end caps, work just fine. It’s not top shelf but is more than capable if your not an “Elitest” and can learn to adapt when it comes to optics.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Depends on what you consider a pos. Worked well after dark in intermittent ,rainy conditions for me. Well enough that I would not have a doubt in my mind if it was my only xbow hunting scope. The lowest brightness setting works great in low light if you drain the battery down a little. Mine also came with see through flip up caps, that .... while not at same quality and functionality level of a pair of high end caps, work just fine. It’s not top shelf but is more than capable if your not an “Elitest” and can learn to adapt when it comes to optics.
Yep, the best equipment in the world won't makeup for a lack of skill. But a high level of skill will dang sure make up for less than optimum equipment,,(y)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have one that anyone with $100 bucks can have shipped right to their door.

·
10,766 Posts
Yep, the best equipment in the world won't makeup for a lack of skill. But a high level of skill will dang sure make up for less than optimum equipment,,(y)

Reactions: wildcatter

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
What I didn’t mention in my opening post was that at my age I’m am starting to purge some of my high dollar items so whenever I take the dirt nap, I’d rather that money be in the savings account where my wife can access it versus having to deal with selling my toys herself - that was the main reason for selling the Zeiss Victory bins.

However, after selling them, I still need something a bit more than my Leica 8x20 Ultravids and I’m probably going to order some Vortex Diamondback HD which get some great reviews. I got to look thru the 10x42 at Cabelas recently and was impressed but I want to go with 8x instead. With my eyesight and progressive lenses, it may suffice. If it doesn’t I’ll just take them back.

But with Gene posting that damn Burris Oracle X scope in his turkey hunting thread has me thinking that scope could be on my R10 by this fall. My wife will just have to deal with it.

Reactions: Tnmtns
61 - 67 of 67 Posts