Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is season 3 for this .8 acre plot and the Whitetail Institute Imperial Clover is doing really well. In 2019 we had about 30% growth and this year were at 70% and I'm working on the remaining 30%.

This is how most of the clover looks. Nice and thick and very healthy.

050220_Clover10Inches.jpg


I've got a lot to learn about this so talking to WTI and some local AgriBusiness folks has helped keep this going well, at least so far. One aspect to helping this clover thrive is keeping the energy of the plant growth into root system development, so the clover gets cut as is starts flowering. You can see from all the white flower tops that I'm about a week late on the second cutting this year but it will still be beneficial.

CloverCut#2_051920.JPG


From it's 10-12" growth it gets cut back to 6".

CloverCut#2_051920_3.JPG


CloverCut#2_051920_4.JPG


CloverCut#2_051920_5.JPG


The Plot. The green diamond is where the feeder sits.

.80Acre2.jpg


The spring so far has been relatively mild and rain fall has been plentiful so far but the Texas summer will eventually get hot and dry. July through Sept. can be some times turn into drought and I hope to be able to survive that. The wheels are turning to setup a high volume sprinkler system to help keep this plot alive in heat of the summer to hold these feeding deer and help the clover growth as the fall sets in.

BS_2000SSystem.jpg


BS_2000SSystem2.jpg


About 50 yards south and slightly uphill of the food plot is a nice size pond that holds 300-400,000 gallons of water year round. That will be the fresh water source.

50YPond.jpg


This pump setup with a single big sprinkler will cover most of the plot. The plot is roughly 180' W X 215' L. This pump can deliver a wetted area of 240'. Assuming that we won't run it wide open, a 180-200' diameter area is possible.

IrrigationMap2.jpg


This whole irrigation idea is a stretch but it's been kicked around since day one and the land owner is on board. From idea to reality often delivers surprises so I'm eager to see how it all works out.

More to come!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
I have a 2nd year clover field too....It is seems to be doing pretty good so far but this year has been mild and sufficient rain. Last year I mowed it and of course the weather turned hot (Virginia) and it never recovered. So my debate is to mow or not to mow. Any insight?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2nd year clover field too....It is seems to be doing pretty good so far but this year has been mild and sufficient rain. Last year I mowed it and of course the weather turned hot (Virginia) and it never recovered. So my debate is to mow or not to mow. Any insight?
I would play it safe BA. Your experience with the local weather is key and if it looks like it's going to be dry, don't cut it back.

We have rain in the forecast from 30% to 80% for the next 10 days and shortly after that, I hope to have the sprinkler system in the mix. If the Texas summer is typical, I'll probably not cut the clover again until fall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Thanks. That is what I am thinking. It is way past the time it should be getting hot here already - another strange weather pattern. Actually, not that different than Texas. I spent a couple years there in the early 90s. I also just applied some of the liquid fertilizer from Antler King. It will be interesting to see how that affects the growth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. That is what I am thinking. It is way past the time it should be getting hot here already - another strange weather pattern. Actually, not that different than Texas. I spent a couple years there in the early 90s. I also just applied some of the liquid fertilizer from Antler King. It will be interesting to see how that affects the growth.
That's a safe bet and even if they go to seed, it's better to have that then risk it burning up because it's too short. Good luck!

I fertilized early and will hold on adding anything until the fall and then I'll add a granular slow release low nitrogen fertilizer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,681 Posts
Your field is looking GREAT Rich. Do you have the deer fenced out of the field?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your field is looking GREAT Rich. Do you have the deer fenced out of the field?
Thanks GA! I'm very happy it's doing so well. We got more rain yesterday so we're just a little over normal so far.

Rain tapers off in June, July etc and temps go up.
upload_2020-5-24_13-12-41.png


The plot is fenced but to keep the pigs out. It's a low enough fence that adult deer easily clear it and that includes pregnant does.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top