Crossbow Nation banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Tenpoint Siege, Ripper 415, Vortex,
840 Posts
What bow did you have that could shoot that speed with a hunting setup? 400gr and more. Most were advertised as 330 IBO.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk
Mathews drenalin, was probably right around 310-315 fps. Can’t remember my arrow weight off the top of my head. Was shooting the Easton Axis arrows 100 grain broadhead, 27” length. But I don’t know because I never had a chrono until now. 70 lb draw.

·
Registered
Tenpoint Siege, Ripper 415, Vortex,
840 Posts
What bow did you have that could shoot that speed with a hunting setup? 400gr and more. Most were advertised as 330 IBO.

And you are right, heck might of been 300 fps, have no idea.

·
710 Posts
Mathews drenalin, was probably right around 310-315 fps. Can’t remember my arrow weight off the top of my head. Was shooting the Easton Axis arrows 100 grain broadhead, 27” length. But I don’t know because I never had a chrono until now.
Thanks, Joel. That's my point many do not know and just quote the manufacturing speed. I will bet that most deer and other game was shot with bows in that range or fewer fps. Crony helped to show us the light so to speak.

·
Registered
7,087 Posts
Chrono's dont kill deer ....but I have had an absolute BLAST shooting thru them and testing different set ups over the years...:)
Like you I did get a jolt of confirmation but it was more a novel experience and never a factor in killing a deer. I guess one can justify a chrono. It's a cool device. However, I hardly ever use mine.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Like you I did get a jolt of confirmation but it was more a novel experience and never a factor in killing a deer. I guess one can justify a chrono. It's a cool device. However, I hardly ever use mine.
I will say fact remains my Chrono has made Liars out of a lot of major manufacturers hahaha

Sent from my LGLS885 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I'm sure it's a cool tool to have if it is providing information needed for that individual. Take my Mission XR. Rated with a 350 grain arrow I believe. Shooting arrow weights from 417, 428, 462 and 498.
I could chrono for a data point but my "aim" to to achieve POA=POI regardless of the speed. It is what it is. If my benchmark POI for any of the weights and seems to go away then I immediately look for the most apparent cause: ATA, timing. I guess a chrono would provide immediate data to show a specific FPS drop but I would know the drop based on POI error from my benchmark ballistics in my ATN. Speed to me only matters when it changes and my POI changes. Else I'm happy.

Different strokes for different folks;)

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
i rarely ever use my chronograph after the initial purchase of the bow.

I like to know what i paid for. I expect the bow to hit thier numbers witha 400 grain arrow. I could care less about any other reference thats not apples to apples.
as afar as point to impact. I expect the bow to stay there once shot in or its totally useless to me.

Currently all my bows do this or they would in some other guys hands.

as far as needing speed to take a deer, Garmin and Burris have removed that from the equation
for the most part.

Still a super fast bow, done with limbs cams and string will always get my attention.
I drop out of the speed game when springs, pneumatics or gun powder are used. Hopefully everyone else does too becuase its absolutely no longer a bow a that point.

Reactions: TomOnTheRun

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Companies fail to live up to advertised speeds knowing many use chrono and will call them out. Can only imagine the liberties taken with the truth if they thought they would not be called out.

·
710 Posts
Luckily no one is forcing anyone to use a chronograph, but if for some reason you need to test that new bow or arrow combo, you can always take your bow to Wapster or anyone else on here that has one and verify the speed.

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
George,,,you need to take the speedometers out of your cars....just concentrate on poa (point of arrival)....lol

Truth be known...I shoot all my rifles thru the chrony...just to check different loads and brands of ammo....heck I even shoot my BB and pellet guns thru it....It amazed me some of that info
Motorhome too or just my cars Lol
You a funny guy Randy 😉

Reactions: TomOnTheRun

·
Registered
Sonoran Desert Arizona.
739 Posts
George,,,you need to take the speedometers out of your cars....just concentrate on poa (point of arrival)....lol

Truth be known...I shoot all my rifles thru the chrony...just to check different loads and brands of ammo....heck I even shoot my BB and pellet guns thru it....It amazed me some of that info
Its irritating when the old Red Ryder outshoots a 3000 dollar crossbow.o_O:)

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Its irritating when the old Red Ryder outshoots a 3000 dollar crossbow.o_O:)
But! It is very cool when the 10 year old granddaughter outshoots Grandpa with a 600 dollar bow verses a 1,800.00 bow with 800 bucks of optics mounted :giggle: Little Annie Oakley she is.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
why would n't a person want extremely fast pin point accuracy.?
other then the cost.... its is way beyond my comprehension level.

i use believe the ..its hard to pull the arrows out excuse, then i realized i been buying the wrong targets.

Ok.....maybe shooting everyday of the week, would have me want a calmer bow
Or owning only one bow might do it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
why would n't a person want extremely fast pin point accuracy.?
other then the cost.... its is way beyond my comprehension level......
Because those extremely fast bows have a propensity to either break, or to need a great deal more regular maintenance.

My 350fps bow works every time and only ever needs a string change every few years.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
4 xbows ready to hunt at my house. 2 are being delivered to my son and grandsons next weekend in Illinois. Keeping the slowest and the fastest. The slowest, TS 370 Will be with me in woods. 368 fps with 420 gn. will give the DRT 385 a shot later in year. 395 fps with 420 gn

·
Registered
14,913 Posts
That is the reason I never bothered buying one. I would check the speed of all my bows and it would go into a closet to never be seen again.

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
4 xbows ready to hunt at my house. 2 are being delivered to my son and grandsons next weekend in Illinois. Keeping the slowest and the fastest. The slowest, TS 370 Will be with me in woods. 368 fps with 420 gn. will give the DRT 385 a shot later in year. 395 fps with 420 gn
I'm a 400ish and below guy. My 68 Camaro SS has a 427 with a 4-10 posi but a 327 would be more appropriate. 427 has factory cables in case the motor mounts fail. Lots of power to try and control o_O

·
Registered
7,087 Posts
I will say fact remains my Chrono has made Liars out of a lot of major manufacturers hahaha

Sent from my LGLS885 using Tapatalk
duly noted. I will say I validated some xbows exceeding OEM specs too.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts