Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Y'all,

Vertical archer since 1991, I am almost 50 and since 91 I have struggled with essential tremor which gets real bad under load and since 2018 shooting with prescription glasses. Up until 2018 I was able to practice enough to make up for my issues and use peep magnification to make up for my eyes. This year just piled on with me getting Covid and not being able to practice through these things. That and my strength has left and even dialed down to 50 lbs I have about 2 seconds to get a shot off or I start shaking too bad.

I am still able to shoot a rifle confidently to 500 yards though. I don't want to give up bowseason, for what we pay for leases here in Texas it really is just not an option. I hate giving up my compound and maybe someday it will be back in the arsenal.

I have been reading and watching videos. I see you can still get KI Ripper 415 through Ebay and the like and I think this is where I want to start. What upgrades do y'all recommend. I am open to anything, optics, whatever. Only thing I am stuck on is broadheads. I have been shooting Grim Reaper mechanical heads since 2007, I have no plans on changing other than I might go to the 150 gr head. Any arrow builders out there with recommendations of what would be a good starting point. I see the Tapp arrows are Black Eagle which has been my go to in vertical hunting and competition.

I only have until October to get this all up and rolling. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Welcome to the boards. You've come to the right place to learn about crossbows and crossbow hunting. I've only been a member for 7 months or so and I have learned so much in that brief time. The people on here a very generous with their time and knowledge. I'll differ on the KI Ripper to those with actual experience with that bow.
I will tell you some of the things I found I needed when I started this crossbow hobby/obsession.
1. Better arrows. Quality arrows just flat out shoot better than arrows that come with bow packages.
2. Quality targets. One for field point and one for broadheads. This will save you the headaches and expense of ruining
arrow fletching shooting into unsuitable targets.
3. Scope upgrade.
If you enjoyed practicing with your vertical bow then you will most likely enjoy practicing with you xbow.
I will suggest you take a look at the CenterPoint Patriot/Amped/Heat 415 (same bow different names). They're in the same price range as the KI Ripper and I believe are a great value. Use the search feature at the top of the page and you will find many posts on both the Ripper and the Patriot/Amped/Heat.

·
Registered
572 Posts
My suggestion to you is contact Dave Wilkins at Wyverns creations. You can Google wyverns creations for website and info. He is a dealer that solely deals with crossbows and accessories. Dave is a very competent and trustworthy person, and will go out of his way to assist you, not only with advice, but with equipment at reasonable prices and quality service.
P.S. I assume you are aware of any crossbow regulations for the state you want to hunt with crossbows. Just thought I would mention. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
If trying out any crossbows is an option, I'd start there. Being able to handle and shoot a bow will be helpful in deciding which one to buy.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Howdy Y'all,

Vertical archer since 1991, I am almost 50 and since 91 I have struggled with essential tremor which gets real bad under load and since 2018 shooting with prescription glasses. Up until 2018 I was able to practice enough to make up for my issues and use peep magnification to make up for my eyes. This year just piled on with me getting Covid and not being able to practice through these things. That and my strength has left and even dialed down to 50 lbs I have about 2 seconds to get a shot off or I start shaking too bad.

I am still able to shoot a rifle confidently to 500 yards though. I don't want to give up bowseason, for what we pay for leases here in Texas it really is just not an option. I hate giving up my compound and maybe someday it will be back in the arsenal.

I have been reading and watching videos. I see you can still get KI Ripper 415 through Ebay and the like and I think this is where I want to start. What upgrades do y'all recommend. I am open to anything, optics, whatever. Only thing I am stuck on is broadheads. I have been shooting Grim Reaper mechanical heads since 2007, I have no plans on changing other than I might go to the 150 gr head. Any arrow builders out there with recommendations of what would be a good starting point. I see the Tapp arrows are Black Eagle which has been my go to in vertical hunting and competition.

I only have until October to get this all up and rolling. Any help is appreciated.
Welcome to the CBN!

Good to hear that you're going after the bow season even with a different weapon. I've had to move from my verticle bow hunting that began back int he 70s to a crossbow and don't have any regret. Welcome it and I think you will be happily surprised.

The KI 415 is a nice value package. It would need an optic and arrow package to be ideal. I'll pass on another option that may be of interest which has some upgrade advantages already.....

I built a Patriot 415 in late 2019 intended to go to a family member. That situation changed and it has been in my safe since as a backup and thankfully I've not needed it. It's a nice package and I'd like to find a new home for it. It's tactical in style (adjustable) and is a proven CenterPoint platform.

The optic is upgraded to the Hawke built XV530IR from Trophy Ridge (Bear Archery). I'd describe the scope as a XB30 Pro clone and it carries the Hawke LT warranty. Trigger is a 2.5 lb 1/8" pull, arrows are TenPoint carbon ProElites and the retainer is brush style. It has an ultimate gun sling, factory soft case and a Power Draw crank system. I'm a Grim Reaper shooter as well and this package includes a pack of 125 gn 3 blade mechanicals.

Reach out if your interested and the best of luck with getting ready for the fall!.

BTW, what part of the great state of Texas are you located?

Rich
[email protected]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I live outside of Tyler, TX. I grew up and hunted the Hill Country until Recently. We now hunt north of Stephenville. My daughter plays travel softball and trying to make Sunday practice from San Saba was a killer.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I live outside of Tyler, TX. I grew up and hunted the Hill Country until Recently. We now hunt north of Stephenville. My daughter plays travel softball and trying to make Sunday practice from San Saba was a killer.
I'm up north in comparison and hunt near Lake Texoma. Some deer, too many pigs and our share of varmints. Spent a few years hunting near Possum Kingdom which is west but but quite a bit further north than Stephenville.

I lived the softball life myself and my wife and I enjoyed my daughter paying club and college ball. Went all over Texas and OK and took a few trips out west for showcases.

Good luck and help her chase the dream! Have fun along the way. It's a great sacrifice but a fantastic life lesson and in some way it will pay off.

Our gal went from this........
03 At Bat - Far 2.jpg

To this.......

And this.......

Played as a starter every year in college and saw post season play two of her four years. Hard as heck to do and also be a good student but they can do it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
Welcome to the boards. :) Have fun with the ball. We chased it from a very early age thru 2 years of college. Lots of fun for both my daughter AND the wife and I. Lots of pretty long road trips too but that was just part of it.:rolleyes: All good and all behind us now.

Reactions: ProV1 and TX_RDXguy
1 - 10 of 10 Posts