Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by giving my preference for the perfect, or maybe I need to say almost perfect, hunting crossbow. Number one is reliability, there is no substitute for reliable limbs. Second is the weight of the bow. I want a bow that is under 6 pounds (bow only) with good balance. The third is speed, it will have to send a hunting arrow (weighing more than 400gr.) downrange at above 330fps. Good optics, with illumination of the crosshairs, is a must. Next up, how difficult is it to cock. If I can't cock it by hand I don't want it. Maintenance, can I do the changes myself without the need of a press. String change, or string and cable adjustments. Then comes dimensions, width, and length. That's my preference, and a big reason I chose the Excalibur Micro 340 TD for my next bow. What's your preference?

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Bare bow under 7 lb. 370 fps or better with 400 gn. Under 17 uncocked. Limbs that do not splinter or break. 3.5 lb trigger ,zero creep. Rope cockable. Adjustable stock. Variable magnification with side turret adjustable parallax and a built in level in the optics.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Bare bow under 7 lb. 370 fps or better with 400 gn. Under 17 uncocked. Limbs that do not splinter or break. 3.5 lb trigger ,zero creep. Rope cockable. Adjustable stock. Variable magnification with side turret adjustable parallax and a built in level in the optics.
Same as Hunter, although weight is not important. I'm use to lugging around 11# rifles. My gamer is going to Rich for the trigger and I'm changing out the scope....waiting on Burris. I may temporarily swap in a Ravin take off in the interim.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
The perfect hunting crossbow....

• Weight in the 7-8 lb range with accessories.
  • Width from limb to limb or cam edge to cam edge is no wider than 12" when cocked.
  • Length minimum of 26" with an adjustable buttstock that allows for another 2".
  • String life must equal or exceed 1,000 shots.
  • Trigger break pressure is adjustable from 2.5 lbs to 3.5 lbs., creep no longer than 1.8"
  • The xbow must shoot a industry common arrow and nock.
  • Speed with a 400 grain arrow has to be 400 fps at least, 425 would be better.
  • Sub 1" accuracy at 75 yards.
  • The quiver must be designed to let the owner mount it parallel (on either side), perpendicular if desired and also on the top or bottom side of the xbow.
  • Durability of key wearable components like strings, limbs and moving parts has to be excellent with a minimum of 5 years of warranty.
  • The cocking system must be safe and de-cock without pressure. The cocking system must allow for left or right handed cocking. The cocking handle must easily and safely attach to the xbow. The bow must be designed to be cocked by hand if necessary.
  • There must be several optic options: a standard speed scope design with a simple reticle set, having excellent low light capability to a fully functional electro optic that has integrated one button laser, digital video recording and a version that is IR enabled. Battery run time for that scope must be 24 hours.
  • Base package cost of $1,500 and fully loaded optic package of $2,500.
  • Customer Service must be in the US and open on Saturdays.
I'll add that my current go-to is the Nitro XRT which checks one or two from the above list.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The perfect hunting crossbow....

• Weight in the 7-8 lb range with accessories.
  • Width from limb to limb or cam edge to cam edge is no wider than 12" when cocked.
  • Length minimum of 26" with an adjustable buttstock that allows for another 2".
  • String life must equal or exceed 1,000 shots.
  • Trigger break pressure is adjustable from 2.5 lbs to 3.5 lbs., creep no longer than 1.8"
  • The xbow must shoot a industry common arrow and nock.
  • Speed with a 400 grain arrow has to be 400 fps at least, 425 would be better.
  • Sub 1" accuracy at 75 yards.
  • The quiver must be designed to let the owner mount it parallel (on either side), perpendicular if desired and also on the top or bottom side of the xbow.
  • Durability of key wearable components like strings, limbs and moving parts has to be excellent with a minimum of 5 years of warranty.
  • The cocking system must be safe and de-cock without pressure. The cocking system must allow for left or right handed cocking. The cocking handle must easily and safely attach to the xbow. The bow must be designed to be cocked by hand if necessary.
  • There must be several optic options: a standard speed scope design with a simple reticle set, having excellent low light capability to a fully functional electro optic that has integrated one button laser, digital video recording and a version that is IR enabled. Battery run time for that scope must be 24 hours.
  • Base package cost of $1,500 and fully loaded optic package of $2,500.
  • Customer Service must be in the US and open on Saturdays.
Well, that took 3 screenshots....😉

·
Registered
304 Posts
For me it's all about the balance of the bow to shoot off-hand or resting on the knee if needed, the bow has to shoulder naturally with the scope being in the perfect spot when you pull it up, has to be reasonably fast (375 to 400 range), has to have a crisp clean breaking trigger, with my eye issues a single lighted reticle variable power scope on an HHA is a must. Accuracy, good customer service and reliability should all be expected when purchasing a crossbow but are far from a guarantee. It seems like it varies person to person and bow to bow. I have all the things I listed above in my Swat XP and have had excellent cs with KI and only one minor issue that was taken care of quickly. I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I love my Swat XP and wouldnt trade it for another bow today, now tomorrow... 1/11/21 well ....that story has yet to be written. 😉

·
3,260 Posts
Perfect? LOL. This will be an interesting thread. I like all the crossbows I have for different reasons. I guess if someone forced me to choose just one, I’d go with my Middleton 355SS, with the condition that I could keep a set of my Matrix limbs, just in case. The SS weighs only 6.2# with rings and Leupold scope. Little longer power stroke and less draw weight than a similar Micro, so the draw is easy with a rope. Shoots 405-410 grain arrows at 340. As accurate as any other good crossbow. As long as the limbs last, it has kept me from being too interested in any other recurve. The way I hunt, shots have been 30 yards and under. This one does that fine, and way quieter than similar recurves I’ve had. Now I might change my mind if the x1 is as good as it looks so far.
. C6D23E9E-7542-42F2-AE7A-78FD0E8C15F0.jpeg

·
1,869 Posts
1 Ability to uncock without shooting.
2 Ability to cock with a rope cocker.
3 No need for a press for nothing.
4 Lifetime warranty.
5 Must shoot a 400 gr arrow over 400 fps.
6 Weight under 7 lbs
7 Reliable

·
Registered
9,512 Posts
Perfect? LOL. This will be an interesting thread. I like all the crossbows I have for different reasons. I guess if someone forced me to choose just one, I’d go with my Middleton 355SS, with the condition that I could keep a set of my Matrix limbs, just in case. The SS weighs only 6.2# with rings and Leupold scope. Little longer power stroke and less draw weight than a similar Micro, so the draw is easy with a rope. Shoots 405-410 grain arrows at 340. As accurate as any other good crossbow. As long as the limbs last, it has kept me from being too interested in any other recurve. The way I hunt, shots have been 30 yards and under. This one does that fine, and way quieter than similar recurves I’ve had. Now I might change my mind if the x1 is as good as it looks so far.
. View attachment 190106
Whats it weigh with that Horton scope on it Jeff? 😁

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'd like to build an Excalibur Vortex spec wide limb with a Take Down Brace and a Micro stock , HHA, 3-9 X 50 AO Hawke mil dot scope , Comp trigger and one of Boo s Flemish strings

Or even better still,,,, get in the car drive over the boarder that's completely open because there is no longer any COVID , down to West Chester, PA ,,,,,walk in to Kodabow ( Makers of arguably the finest made recurve crossbows in the world ) . Spend the day at there range trying a few different models till I find the one that suits me the best ,,,,,buy it ,,,,,drive back to Canada stopping off at as meny Cracker Barrel s that I feel like ......

·
Registered
13,759 Posts
I love me some Cracker Barrel too.;):)

OK, here's my list:
*Cheap.
*Shoots a 400 gr arrow above 350 fps.
*Able to uncock without shooting.
*Easy to rope cock.
*Trouble free and Maintenance free.
*Good light trigger.

Oh wait! I already have it. My CP Sniper 370.;):):):)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Accurately Shoots a 450 gr arrow at 350 or more, bare bow 7lbs or a little less, good cocking device and uses nocks that one can change without power tools. Also, not arrow specific. And while I’m dreaming, make it as quiet as my vertical bows

·
Registered
439 Posts
1. Durable
2. Lifetime warranty
3. Speed with 400grn arrow 300-350
4. Spare parts available for purchase
5. Lightweight under 8 lbs
6. Well balanced for offhand shooting
7. Ability to rope cock and decock
8. Simple to maintain and service
9. Quick string change without press

·
Registered
wicked ridge blackhawk 360
73 Posts
My first bow is going to be the W,R. Blackhawk 360: 6lbs.(bare), 360fps, 175# draw weight. It's on the way, can't wait to shoot it and report back. I read where a guy in another forum claims he shot 11/4" groups at 80 yds. I'll be happy if I can do that at 30.

·
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I love me some Cracker Barrel too.;):)

OK, here's my list:
*Cheap.
*Shoots a 400 gr arrow above 350 fps.
*Able to uncock without shooting.
*Easy to rope cock.
*Trouble free and Maintenance free.
*Good light trigger.

Oh wait! I already have it. My CP Sniper 370.;):):):)
The sniper is on the heavy side if you add scope and Hha as I have on mine. But it's a solid bow.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 70 Posts