21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
1 Ability to uncock without shooting.
2 Ability to cock with a rope cocker.
3 No need for a press for nothing.
4 Lifetime warranty.
5 Must shoot a 400 gr arrow over 400 fps.
6 Weight under 7 lbs
7 Reliable
Sounds like a Scorpyd.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

·
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
What I get from the comment is that most of us agree on some of the points, but there is no perfect crossbow for all. Each has its own needs and preferences. I don't care for speed and rate weight higher, while another will rate speed or dimensions higher. But I think we can all agree we need the limbs to last. To each his own.

·
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
My first bow is going to be the W,R. Blackhawk 360: 6lbs.(bare), 360fps, 175# draw weight. It's on the way, can't wait to shoot it and report back. I read where a guy in another forum claims he shot 11/4" groups at 80 yds. I'll be happy if I can do that at 30.
Please do report, it's an interesting bow for sure.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Lite weight. You go dark to dark, 2 miles deep in the river delta, you'l be thankful. My Parker Hornet is 9 lbs loaded. Front heavy , and heavy. But ol faithful - love it.
That Excal micro Take down is attractive. I often carry my bows in on a deer cart, bow in soft case. That excal comes apart and stores in a bag. Would ride well on the deer cart.
I'm not a big recurve xbow fan but the other features, specially the TD, are attractive.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Having hunted with a Black Widow PSR for years, raw speed doesn't make my list. A reliable, well balanced, consistantly accurate bow that is tough as nails gets my vote. Being able to change the string or adjust brace height without a press is also a plus. Three of my favorites are my Excalibur Matrix 330, Kodabow Scout, and AP Wildfire II. All of them shoot XX75 2219 arrows with 125 gr broadheads in the 312 fps range and all have a habit of putting the arrow exactly where I look. All 3 have taken turkeys, deer, and coyotes. Doesn't get much better than that.

·
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'm planning on using 175gr. broadheads for a total weight of 425gr. That will also help to silence it a bit.

·
1,854 Posts
Sounds like a Scorpyd.

Scorpyd is close but do not have the ability to be uncocked without shooting (but are a good bow). That i'm aware of.

The two brands that check the most boxes for me are the Excaliburs and Mission. The Excals fall short on speed without needing a crank to cock (for me). The new Missions XR also fall short on speed and have cable reliability issues.
This is why i have hung on to the Mission MXB 400's. I don't hunt with a bow shooting 400fps even though they will show me 411 fps with a 400gr arrow. By the time i get a arrow to fly great and carry the components i want. There always heavier than 400grs and i run the 400's with the poundage backed off. To make cocking easier and help with reliably. Anyway a bow that shoots a 400gr arrow 400 fps will still give me the penetration at range after the heavier arrow slows it down. I shoot very large cutting heads.

I know at some point i will need to buy new bows.

·
1,854 Posts
IMO theres 2 things you can do that give you more for your buck so to speak when talking quieting your bow.
1 is asking it to do less what i mean is. Like a Excalibur that get there speed from a longer rail (in most cases) use a bow with a shorter rail. You have the same limbs moving slower also with mission bows the poundage can be turned down same thing.
2 Shoot a heavier arrow.

Sound damping like limbsavers will make them a little quieter to my ears. But i really think they make the sound shorter if you know what i mean. I run 2 sets on my limbs with the poundage reduced and a 450gr arrow. A pretty quiet BH and stiff 2" vanes. I have a pretty quiet shot and a pretty quiet arrow that's still shooting 370's (unchecked).

·
3,237 Posts
IMO theres 2 things you can do that give you more for your buck so to speak when talking quieting your bow.
1 is asking it to do less what i mean is. Like a Excalibur that get there speed from a longer rail (in most cases) use a bow with a shorter rail. You have the same limbs moving slower also with mission bows the poundage can be turned down same thing.
2 Shoot a heavier arrow.

Sound damping like limbsavers will make them a little quieter to my ears. But i really think they make the sound shorter if you know what i mean. I run 2 sets on my limbs with the poundage reduced and a 450gr arrow. A pretty quiet BH and stiff 2" vanes. I have a pretty quiet shot and a pretty quiet arrow that's still shooting 370's (unchecked).
Sometimes (maybe generally) that’s true. I have had mainframes from 14” down to 10 3/4” power stroke. 36” Exo Excal and Matrix limbs, 36”, 32”cut down,28” SS DTM limbs. My natural curiosity has compelled me to assemble nearly every possible combination. Some just have special harmonics or whatever it is. I do pack my rails to kill the ring. Don’t care who calls it *******. ;) Everyone says the Micros are the quietest Excals. Great crossbows unless the way you hunt may call for more speed.

·
9,766 Posts
1040fps ... launching "fire & forget" arrows, with cluster broadheads deployment triggered 10' before striking target, guided by all of heat seeking, target identifying lock on, & laser designator optic technology. Any particular platform is okay with me, I'm flexible. :p :)

·
1,854 Posts
I have shot just about everything or its cousin lol. I shot the NAP FOC 170gr for several years with great success. Tried a few others but have settled with the SWAT X mag with a 3 3/4" cut. This is using a bow that reached the 400gr 400fps threshold.
Bows that shoot slower some heads that stood out were VPA, NAP Hellrazors and the Grizztricks both 1 and 2 and the 125gr striker. I also used Nap Spitfires and a few other expendables but never shot one with a cut over 1 3/4 or over 35 yds.

·
1,854 Posts
1040fps ... launching "fire & forget" arrows, with cluster broadheads deployment triggered 10' before striking target, guided by all of heat seeking, target identifying lock on, & laser designator optic technology. Any particular platform is okay with me, I'm flexible. :p :)
Are those ethical?

21 - 40 of 70 Posts