Crossbow Nation banner

The perfect hunting crossbow.

6K views 69 replies 24 participants last post by  rt2bowhunter 
#1 ·
Let me start by giving my preference for the perfect, or maybe I need to say almost perfect, hunting crossbow. Number one is reliability, there is no substitute for reliable limbs. Second is the weight of the bow. I want a bow that is under 6 pounds (bow only) with good balance. The third is speed, it will have to send a hunting arrow (weighing more than 400gr.) downrange at above 330fps. Good optics, with illumination of the crosshairs, is a must. Next up, how difficult is it to cock. If I can't cock it by hand I don't want it. Maintenance, can I do the changes myself without the need of a press. String change, or string and cable adjustments. Then comes dimensions, width, and length. That's my preference, and a big reason I chose the Excalibur Micro 340 TD for my next bow. What's your preference?

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

#39 ·
I have shot just about everything or its cousin lol. I shot the NAP FOC 170gr for several years with great success. Tried a few others but have settled with the SWAT X mag with a 3 3/4" cut. This is using a bow that reached the 400gr 400fps threshold.
Bows that shoot slower some heads that stood out were VPA, NAP Hellrazors and the Grizztricks both 1 and 2 and the 125gr striker. I also used Nap Spitfires and a few other expendables but never shot one with a cut over 1 3/4 or over 35 yds.

#46 ·
Good luck with your new bow JH. I'm sure you'll love it. I never met a Micro I didn't like.
You gonna get to shoot it today?
No will only have time on the weekend. I'm already in love. Thank you very much. I did not think it would be this small. It's tiny!

#55 ·
Excalibur? Really? ... 😂 Yeah, Excalibur might be the perfect hunting crossbow if it was the twelfth century...lol This is 2021 and there's 50 bows out there that are better. :p

#57 ·
Excalibur? Really? ... [emoji23] Yeah, Excalibur might be the perfect hunting crossbow if it was the twelfth century...lol This is 2021 and there's 50 bows out there that are better. :p
Hahaha. Duke, I like Scorpyd also but there is no dealer in SA. Let's face it how many crossbows can survive an alligator attack?

#68 ·
For me personally my recent purchase of the 10PT. Vapor RS470 comes as close to perfection in my eyes. If and a big if it was a shad lighter that would be great but that is totally a nit pick. Its truly fine. Fast narrow accurate and zero problems. I absolutely love it. Oh and the Sig BDX system is the cats meowwwww

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.