Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
1,230 Posts
That's easy. The SWAT's. They are the only crossbows with a totally enclosed barrel that can shoot any weight arrow without the arrow blowing up because it is contained throughout the shot.
Many companies compete for being the fastest, but to get there, whether they increase the poundage, increase the power stroke, or improve the cams, they still need a long arrow that is stiff enough and strong enough to take the acceleration without coming apart and injuring the shooter. If one is talking about hunting African Elephants, the question should be; who's crossbow delivers the arrow with most kinetic energy. But, most people hunt smaller game such as Deer, Elk, Antelope, etc.. Don't need a lot of energy to kill one of those. Let's just say we shoot a 300 grain arrow out of a SWAT that does 500fps. That's 166 foot/lbs of energy. That will kill most anything.
Disclaimer; The current SWAT's are not set up for shooting a light arrow because it was designed to try to save weight. But, if speed is needed, the SWAT type bow can be made to stand up to the torture.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's easy. The SWAT's. They are the only crossbows with a totally enclosed barrel that can shoot any weight arrow without the arrow blowing up because it is contained throughout the shot.
Many companies compete for being the fastest, but to get there, whether they increase the poundage, increase the power stroke, or improve the cams, they still need a long arrow that is stiff enough and strong enough to take the acceleration without coming apart and injuring the shooter. If one is talking about hunting African Elephants, the question should be; who's crossbow delivers the arrow with most kinetic energy. But, most people hunt smaller game such as Deer, Elk, Antelope, etc.. Don't need a lot of energy to kill one of those. Let's just say we shoot a 300 grain arrow out of a SWAT that does 500fps. That's 166 foot/lbs of energy. That will kill most anything.
Disclaimer; The current SWAT's are not set up for shooting a light arrow because it was designed to try to save weight. But, if speed is needed, the SWAT type bow can be made to stand up to the torture.
Awesome information on the SWAT, thank you OLDFLYER... The competition as noted in the video is with a 454 grain arrow.

·
1,230 Posts
Sorry, didn't watch the video. I just answered the question you posted under the photo. I need new glasses. I didn't pay attention to the little white triangle in the middle of the photo. HaHa.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Reactions: Martymig

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
I only watched the beginning comparing the Ravin and Tenpoint! My bad,LOL
No worries, Tnmtns.
Me thinks we all know who is going to win but we still enjoy watching The Field Archer's videos.
;)
As OLDFLYER says, all Manufacturers can crank up the speed a notch very easily.
To do so safely is another matter.

·
8,125 Posts
That's like ... saying who has the fastest sports car carrying 6 people. Fastest means FASTEST! Stripped down to fighting weight and going balls to the wall. The results of this championship to me sounds like who has the most efficient crossbow shooting a heavy 454gr arrow. A measure of mechanical advantage efficiency at one particular weight arrow. With a 400gr or 370gr arrow the efficiency might even be reversed. Nice information to know if you like heavy arrows to slow down your bow, or are shooting large animals, or even if you just have a hankering for heavy arrows. But not the "fastest" configuration. :) ;)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's like ... saying who has the fastest sports car carrying 6 people. Fastest means FASTEST! Stripped down to fighting weight and going balls to the wall. The results of this championship to me sounds like who has the most efficient crossbow shooting a heavy 454gr arrow. A measure of mechanical advantage efficiency at one particular weight arrow. With a 400gr or 370gr arrow the efficiency might even be reversed. Nice information to know if you like heavy arrows to slow down your bow, or are shooting large animals, or even if you just have a hankering for heavy arrows. But not the "fastest" configuration. :) ;)
Okay, for the championship I won't be using field points, 300 grain arrow contest! lol, jk

·
8,125 Posts
If a crossbow … was designed to shoot 350gr arrows at 500fps, why should THAT crossbow be handicapped by forcing it to shoot 400gr or 450gr or any other weight arrow because 'other" bows were engineered differently? That's running the fast bow with one hand behind it's back. If Top Fuel Dragsters are designed to race at 2,000lbs and hit 340mph, making them haul 2,500lbs or 4,000lbs because Funny Cars or Super Stock cars run heavier won't produce the world's fastest; other than fastest 2,500lb or 4,000lb car. Fastest isn't about leveling the playing field, it's about FASTEST! Period. :)

1 - 20 of 100 Posts