Crossbow Nation banner

41 - 60 of 113 Posts

·
11,301 Posts
Whatever it is......I wouldn’t have it on a Christmas tree 😀

·
8,915 Posts
Bill Troubridge once said "It doesn't matter how fast a bow is, it is more important how long it is fast for". Wise words. There are advantages to both worlds! You can bet your last dollar that there is no technical data supporting 400 as a hunting weight. It is of course personal choice.
AMEN brother … I've killed deer with arrows weighing from 302gr up to 454gr or so. As Moon says: "all just as dead." I observed absolutely no technical advantage about any of those arrows & kills. It was all just a personal subjective "feel" for what felt best. I haven't played much with crossbow arrows because my bows all required 400+gr, but my verticals went from 302gr up to about 410gr. I settled in at 341gr as MY optimum arrow weight for the flat and penetration equation.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Bill Troubridge once said "It doesn't matter how fast a bow is, it is more important how long it is fast for". Wise words. There are advantages to both worlds! You can bet your last dollar that there is no technical data supporting 400 as a hunting weight. It is of course personal choice.
That's why these "reviews" of crossbows are absurd. They shoot it a few times and say, "wow" it's a great bow. No clue how well it's going to hold up or what kind of CS they are going to get. I don't see any "3 year quality and CS" reviews going on.

·
Registered
440 Posts
well I'm not into this rocket science crap......I can afford any crossbow offered but I choose not to......My two cheap centerpoints as some on other webpages would call them will do the same job as that $2000 so called made in america crossbow will do, and that is kill the game I'm hunting.....I don't need all those stupid features, yeah it's nice to have, but it jacks up the price and just something else to break....Centerpoints CS is great, and within 5 years of owning it they cover it, after that or well before hand I buy another and I'm not killing the wallet....These $2000 crossbows are the greatest thing since slice bread, come next year it's on the clearance rack cause that same company claims the new one out is the greatest.....oh please !!! hey if you want to spend a mortgage payment of a crossbow that's your business, these companies are loving it

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
That's why these "reviews" of crossbows are absurd. They shoot it a few times and say, "wow" it's a great bow. No clue how well it's going to hold up or what kind of CS they are going to get. I don't see any "3 year quality and CS" reviews going on.
A heads up, don't do 3 year old bow reviews, new flagship models every year, nobody will care in 3 years! But if you can borrow the Back to the Future DeLorean, your reviews will be the best! lol

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
A heads up, don't do 3 year old bow reviews, new flagship models every year, nobody will care in 3 years! But if you can borrow the Back to the Future DeLorean, your reviews will be the best! lol
You missed my point. Car reviews don't limit themselves to taking the car around the block a few times, they are LONG TERM observations of reliability and cost of upkeep. Legitimate reviews should be done over time. If you are changing bows every month because something new comes out you basically accomplish nothing except promote buying of new bows.
I have not seen ANY reviews of bows after extensive use. They should be reviewed after 150, 300, 1000 shots. THAT would be helpful!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
You missed my point. Car reviews don't limit themselves to taking the car around the block a few times, they are LONG TERM observations of reliability and cost of upkeep. Legitimate reviews should be done over time. If you are changing bows every month because something new comes out you basically accomplish nothing except promote buying of new bows.
I have not seen ANY reviews of bows after extensive use. They should be reviewed after 150, 300, 1000 shots. THAT would be helpful!
You are watching the wrong reviews! I know of reviews where the reviews have been done after a season of hunting with a bow and actually have the field testing in the review!

·
8,915 Posts
I wouldn't assume … those claiming to be "Made in America" are liars. One thing we can be sure of is those crossbows that are NOT made in America. ;)

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
You are watching the wrong reviews! I know of reviews where the reviews have been done after a season of hunting with a bow and actually have the field testing in the review!

What? Which of those reviews you posted are long term reviews?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I wouldn't assume … those claiming to be "Made in America" are liars. One thing we can be sure of is those crossbows that are NOT made in America. ;)
Just like the auto industry index, the Ford F-150 and Toyota Tundra tied foe 1st! Toyota had the most American parts and labor with Ford! What happened to baseball, hotdogs, apple pie and Chevrolet... and RAM tough! lol

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
What? Which of those reviews you posted are long term reviews?
You said: They should be reviewed after 150, 300, 1000 shots. THAT would be helpful!

Anyone can sit in front of a computer and tell everyone how it should be done, you have great ideas and people would love your reviews, do it!

·
1,639 Posts
I had a discussion about that with the big boss at KI. I was lamenting that when I was field testing a bow, I would be the second tier of testers. The first ones being prototypes and not a clue how long they was. I would be given a bow for a year and told to try to break it. The bows were essentially production bows and only the camo differed from the actual production bows. Those days are largely gone and it is mostly done internally and at a much smaller scale. It's a pitty because with the speed warfare, components are pushed to the limit and beyond. The more they can test with a larger sample, the better. Everything is a race and all so highly competitive. I guess in the end this is a natural evolution. Companies have so much at stake, end users are extremely demanding for the newest and the greatest and they want it now.
In the case of KI's Swat XP, it is a bold and brave move they are taking but will benefit everyone from the manufacturer to the end user.

·
Registered
440 Posts
when it comes to crossbow reviews I will listen to the likes of THE FIELD ARCHER and others like him, they are just regular guys with the honor of testing them all out, they don't work for the company making them, or some magazine getting paid under the table for a great review

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
You said: They should be reviewed after 150, 300, 1000 shots. THAT would be helpful!

Anyone can sit in front of a computer and tell everyone how it should be done, you have great ideas and people would love your reviews, do it!
I am not in the crossbow review service. If it's too hard to do I can understand you not doing it. You may uncover deficiencies that manufacturers would not like and be hesitant to give you their bows to review. They are given to you gratis right? I am relating what REAL EFFECTIVE reviews should entail. Not just a review of specs that can be had on the manufacturers website. If I want to see a commercial, I'll look at your reviews. It has no value for people who are looking for the quality of a bow over time.
If you don't want to take my feedback, it's your business. It's my opinion.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
when it comes to crossbow reviews I will listen to the likes of THE FIELD ARCHER and others like him, they are just regular guys with the honor of testing them all out, they don't work for the company making them, or some magazine getting paid under the table for a great review
Does FA buy the bows or are they given to him?

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
why ask me? do I look like his lawyer.....ask the source
You said "he doesn't work for the company" and "he's not getting paid under the table"? You also said " I'm not his lawyer". So how can you make these remarks? If he gets the bows for free, isn't he "getting paid"?

·
8,915 Posts
I had a discussion about that with the big boss at KI. I was lamenting that when I was field testing a bow, I would be the second tier of testers. The first ones being prototypes and not a clue how long they was. I would be given a bow for a year and told to try to break it. The bows were essentially production bows and only the camo differed from the actual production bows. Those days are largely gone and it is mostly done internally and at a much smaller scale. It's a pitty because with the speed warfare, components are pushed to the limit and beyond. The more they can test with a larger sample, the better. Everything is a race and all so highly competitive. I guess in the end this is a natural evolution. Companies have so much at stake, end users are extremely demanding for the newest and the greatest and they want it now.
In the case of KI's Swat XP, it is a bold and brave move they are taking but will benefit everyone from the manufacturer to the end user.
That's precisely why … there is no longer any journalistic integrity. "The race for speed." At one time journalists had to verify a story. Then came social media and blogs where bloggers would throw news up 24/7 the second it happened. Facts be damned. The media giants had to compete so they began doing the same thing. Getting the "news" out instantly; little or no checking and verifying. They got away with it whether they were right or wrong. From there it was a short hop to just publishing "Fake News" to fit whatever the agenda of the day is. There are no consequences for lying anymore. The race for speed. Basically what often occurs with crossbow manufacturers trying to get bows out as fast as they can. Let your customers be your testing or R&D department.

Reactions: Moon

·
1,639 Posts
Does FA buy the bows or are they given to him?
Hopefully that is a rhetorical question. Anyone that does the number of reviews that TheFieldArcher does will not and should not pay for a bow. Other than being a crazy expensive habit a few bows a year, having not paid for a bow will eliminate value. Value is different for everyone so not having to pay for a bow allows a tester/reviewer to assess the bow and not place his personal opinion based on his economic position in life.
I take great interest in FieldArcher's review because he has done so many in hunting situations. I see no hostility towards manufacturers, no biased opinions and the more he tests, the better the reviews get.

41 - 60 of 113 Posts