Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I would start here and get some peoples opinion on vertical bows. I was looking at a Bear Crux, Bear Traxx, PSE Bow Madness and PSE Surge, I have not hunted with a vertical bow in 30 years and wanted to see what is the big difference using a single cam versus a dual cam. I see both, but have been out of the vertical market so long I don't know if one is better than the other. Any opinions or advice will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
3,321 Posts
Been a while for me also. But back in the day, I use to shoot PSE"S, if i was to look now, probably would look in that direction, just because i use to shoot them. Other than that, i don't have a clue, what's good out there now. good luck . Happy Trails

Reactions: bltefft

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
grant stricklin said:
I would recommend 7in + brace height on any bow. I'd also look at Mathews, Hoyt, and Elite bows. Best IMHO
grant, why the 7" brace height? I have been so out of the vertical market I do not understand why some have six and others up to 7.25". I thought it might had something to do with more speed. I will probably go to my local bow shop and have myself measured for draw length, they have Hoyt, Matthews, bowtech, and PSE's. I held a Bear bow and PSE vow couple weekend ago at Gander Mountain, the PSE was very well balanced versus the Bear bow. It felt pretty good holding it, I found one that was not zip tied and was smooth drawing it back, not sure what the poundage was set for, but it was smooth.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Brace height is distance between rest and string. 6in keeps arrow on string longer making faster but more interference from you. The less travel on string the more forgiving. Drop a way arrow rest also qad

·
Registered
66 Posts
I own a hoyt matrix and a pse surge. Go for a hoyt in my opinion. Pse surge is a low end bow. Pretty heavy and pretty noisey

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Yep, visit a bow shop and ask to shoot some bows, but don't overlook an Elite (E35 or Synergy) or an Obsession (K34).

But for me, if I could have only one bow, it would be an Elite.

I'm not "bad-mouthing" other bows, I just happen to have the ones I recommended.

I did have a Mathews NoCam HTR for a little while, but didn't like the feel of it and sold it. I couldn't get used to its draw cycle and its lack of an "Elite"-kind of valley. The guy I sold it to loves it - in short, you need to shoot several bows and go with the one that is right for YOU. A bow that is my favorite, may not be your favorite.

I'm just recommending two to not overlook in your search.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I figured I would start here and get some peoples opinion on vertical bows. I was looking at a Bear Crux, Bear Traxx, PSE Bow Madness and PSE Surge, I have not hunted with a vertical bow in 30 years and wanted to see what is the big difference using a single cam versus a dual cam. I see both, but have been out of the vertical market so long I don't know if one is better than the other. Any opinions or advice will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Did you ever get a bow?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Every manufacturer's bows are "good" these days. Pretty much nobody produces junk. Pick one you like and enjoy shooting it.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I'm just getting out of the vertical bow thing due to a bad shoulder and health issues. I too, started many years ago and have owned many different bows. So here is my advice for you.

First off I suggest you avoid any speed bow, esp one with a short ATA. You may seem to shoot them accurately in a shop on a close up target, but when you are up in a tree stand under a hunting application, things change. Those short and fast speed bows are not very forgiving of shooting form errors.

Considering you used to shoot the old school bows with longer ATA's, I suggest you look for a longer ATA bow now too. They are more forgiving and they tend to hold more steady on target, at least for me anyway.

And as already mentioned, look for a brace height of at least 7". Brace height is measured from the string while at rest (brace) and the deepest part of the notch in the grip. The longer the bh the more forgiving of form errors. This can pay off big time in an hunting application where trying to maintain perfect form is simply not always doable out of a tree stand.

After owning all kinds of bows, and sometimes falling for the slick manufacturers advertising of "You gotta have a short and fast bow to hunt from a tree stand" I went back to longer and little slower. But with the bows of today, even the slower ones are about 100 FPS + faster than fastest bows were 30 years ago.

After shooting compounds since 1980, it pains me deeply to have to put my E35 up for sale, but it pains me more by shooting it. Dang shoulder anyway.

Good luck to you. I hope you find the bow that fits your needs best.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Yep, visit a bow shop and ask to shoot some bows, but don't overlook an Elite (E35 or Synergy) or an Obsession (K34).

But for me, if I could have only one bow, it would be an Elite.

I'm not "bad-mouthing" other bows, I just happen to have the ones I recommended.

I did have a Mathews NoCam HTR for a little while, but didn't like the feel of it and sold it. I couldn't get used to its draw cycle and its lack of an "Elite"-kind of valley. The guy I sold it to loves it - in short, you need to shoot several bows and go with the one that is right for YOU. A bow that is my favorite, may not be your favorite.

I'm just recommending two to not overlook in your search.
Bltfft-well stated. Even though I shoot a Bowtech, the Elite is absolutely the smoothest bow I have ever drew. Well made bow. The only reason I went to Bowtech (Destroyer 340) is because of my extremely long arms and draw length. The Destroyer 340 also has a good smooth draw cycle and it fits my size.

·
Banned
841 Posts
If and when you go shopping again, avoid the box stores and go to a well respected pro shop where you can get fitted and shoot good quality stuff, with knowledgeable folks to help you along in the selection process. Now, my own little plug, shoot a Mathews, they are what everybody else has been chasing for years in design, smooth draw, no vibration and second to none customer service.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I know this is an older post, but info always helps. As others have stated, go to a Pro Shop, not a box store. Read some magazines prior to shopping and get an idea what you are looking for. Bows and technology change very rapidly. Prices vary a lot. Whatever you pay for the bow will at least double when you buy needed accessories. Do you know some people you can talk to? Are there any archery clubs in your area? There are so many variables to consider, so do your homework and don't be in a hurry to buy! Good luck! Bob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts