Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
11,688 Posts
With Farm ... raised & bred deer having freakish racks of insane weight & character these days, a stunning rack has lost most of the "wow" factor. It's like special effects in movies has pretty much ruined your sense of astonishment. You used to appreciate "realism" in the old days with stunts and models. Nowadays a movie has 500 "digital artists" and another 500 digital animators and another 200 supervisors of both of them.

The realism has been bred out of outstanding racks.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
There was a time high fence animals were not accepted by P&Y. Obviously that has changed, and for the worse. A wild animal taken outside of a fair chase hunt is not a wild animal anymore, no matter how many acres they are contained on. Duke is right, they have taken the wow factor out of that 175" deer you put so much time in and were lucky enough to take.

·
2,259 Posts
I don't see anywhere that this deer was pen-raised. If that be the case, anybody with money can go out tomorrow and shoot a 400''.

Reactions: PBR

·
11,688 Posts
I don't see anywhere that this deer was pen-raised. If that be the case, anybody with money can go out tomorrow and shoot a 400''.
My point ... wasn't an accusation that the deer was farm raised; only that we've been numbed to seeing racks like that because of the million farm raised shocking racks. Furthermore, at this juncture, like affirmative action makes you leery of some doctors, I wonder how many gigantor farm deer have escaped and polluted the wild deer genetics? Unfortunately, they're all suspect in the back of my mind.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I'd find it very hard to believe a deer like that wasn't loaded up by humans with some crazy so called probiotics or whatever they call them even if it wasnt pen raised.

·
2,259 Posts
My point ... wasn't an accusation that the deer was farm raised; only that we've been numbed to seeing racks like that because of the million farm raised shocking racks. Furthermore, at this juncture, like affirmative action makes you leery of some doctors, I wonder how many gigantor farm deer have escaped and polluted the wild deer genetics? Unfortunately, they're all suspect in the back of my mind.
Duke: My response was in reference to post 3 by BPR. I totally agree with you. Farm-raised deer are at times by some accidentally" on purpose" let loose and breed with wild deer. So Hunters are legally killing the offspring of pen-raised deer in some of these cases. Can you imagine what we might see if this guy ever got loose during the rut.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I could never understand the money some pay to shoot freak show deer with big antlers. Baked, Broiled or Fried you can't eat those horns.........

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can’t an injury cause a non typical type of rack to form? Is it passed down in the genes or does it take steroids and and CDC classified top secrete waste to create them. Guess I could google it but I want to hear what everyone has to say. Could be funny to hear some reactions

·
11,688 Posts
Those stupid ... big, deformed racks have absolutely zero interest from me. It's like looking at the pictures of deformed body builders all roided up. Or like the yachts and houses of billionaires. Or Playboy Bunny women. It's all so unrealistic to my world that I'm simply not wired into it. CCL... "Couldn't Care Less"..lol I'm not a rack hunter, but a guy shoots a majestic 8pt, or an Ohio 12pt, or a big Iowa or Kansas buck, I get it. I understand and can plug into his joy. Freak show racks? I wonder what's wrong with the guy?...lol

·
Registered
945 Posts
Can’t an injury cause a non typical type of rack to form? Is it passed down in the genes or does it take steroids and and CDC classified top secrete waste to create them. Guess I could google it but I want to hear what everyone has to say. Could be funny to hear some reactions
That's my understanding...injury can cause some of the non-typical racks seen...
Many years ago, I had a buck I called "dagger" show up many times on a trail camera. Not an overly large critter, but he had severe deformity of his rack on his left side. His right was a "normal" branch antler with a brow time and points off the main beam. His left (side) was a mess, it had four or five long spikes (or daggers) sticking up from the base! Never saw or have seen anything like it before and/or since. He looked to be "normal" otherwise with no apparent signs of injury. Unfortunately, I never saw him "in person" and he disappeared shortly after the rut kicked in..no more pictures again either .

·
2,753 Posts
Boys if i'm setting up the hollow or in Ohio and that bucks walks up. I'm shooting it without question.If i see it on camera or scouting i'm hunting it. No.2 non typical 321 3/8 score.Thats a buck of a lifetime without question.

You can say i'd shot the doe with him or would just let him walk. I simply say Bull.

·
Registered
TenPoint Viper S400 / Mission Sub 1 XR
784 Posts
I hunt in the rolling hill country of eastern Ohio. We grown big big bucks here. I’m in agreement that I’d kill that buck every day of the week! My days of killing does are dwindling. I’ve been more of a buck hunter the last few years as I’ve had more time to put into scouting and cameras and the like. Plus in Ohio we have a looonnnngggg archery season with full xbow inclusion. We were one of the first.

·
Registered
14,037 Posts
Boys if i'm setting up the hollow or in Ohio and that bucks walks up. I'm shooting it without question.If i see it on camera or scouting i'm hunting it. No.2 non typical 321 3/8 score.Thats a buck of a lifetime without question.

You can say i'd shot the doe with him or would just let him walk. I simply say Bull.
I would also IF he walked under my stand where I hunt. The question is though would you shoot him in an enclosure and pay big bucks to do so?
I bet the answer is "NO".

1 - 20 of 30 Posts