Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to buy my first crossbow... just need a lil guidance
I also have a line on a Nitro Carbon Rdx 20 shots w/ soft case ...No arrows I can get him to 800-850$
I was looking at the s400... but 700$ more for 13 ke / 20 FPS and the accuslide vs accudraw pro? Not sure it’s worth it.

any thoughts?
ty

·
Registered
12,969 Posts
Cant help ya with the bows but good luck with your decision. Also, welcome to the boards.:)

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Welcome to the CBN and good luck on the selection!

I'd be a Viper owner for sure and to me it's worth it.....

Why?

• The ACUslide is the first safe cocking and decocking crank system and that alone is a game changer in development over the older ACUdraw (string/sled system) design.
  • The Micro rail and cam setup of this xbow will give you 1000 plus shots vs 1/2 to 1/3 of that from any of the other xbows mentioned before the string serving wears.
  • The S1 trigger in the Viper is the best TenPoint has built. It's a 2 stage with very little creep and breaks at about 3.5 lbs.
  • The width of the Viper is also a major plus and very important in tight quarter stands and blinds.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Don't be afraid of a Centerpoint Sniper 370 at $200-$250. The money you save can go into top notch optics, rangefinder, crank-cocker (if you need it), precision jacking plate, high quality arrows and broadheads, and a good crossbow rated target. I just picked up one as a backup bow for my 10 y.o. Barnett Wildcat C5. Use your "starter" bow for a few seasons until it's time to make it your backup and you know exactly what you want. The accessories can transfer to the new bow. Good luck, look forward to seeing you in the "Hunting Success" thread. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't be afraid of a Centerpoint Sniper 370 at $200-$250. The money you save can go into top notch optics, rangefinder, crank-cocker (if you need it), precision jacking plate, high quality arrows and broadheads, and a good crossbow rated target. I just picked up one as a backup bow for my 10 y.o. Barnett Wildcat C5. Use your "starter" bow for a few seasons until it's time to make it your backup and you know exactly what you want. The accessories can transfer to the new bow. Good luck, look forward to seeing you in the "Hunting Success" thread. :)
I was looking at the cp400. But Ravins “issues” with strings scarred me away.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I opted to go with the Viper myself. Are there other less expensive options that are worthy? Absolutely! But for my $ I opted to go TP for a few reasons. Customer service reputation being very high on my list, and so far I have NOT been disappointed. Randy Wood, (10ptcrossbow) who IMO is TP's top CSR, is a member of this forum and is ALWAYS interacting here and trying his best to help out us TP owner's with any questions and or issues we may have. One of the other reasons I chose TP was innovation. They make some of the best, highest quality XB's PERIOD! They don't sit on their laurels, and they always seem to be innovating and trying to "change the game" in a good way. Warranties are only as good as the company that backs em, and TP backs up their products better than any other IMO. In the end the choice is obviously yours. I don't blame you for taking your time and researching. After all, it's your hard earned coin. I will say that if i had to buy something less expensive, I would likely be looking towards Killer Instinct, as they also have a pretty good reputation and have some real viable options for the "Working man's" wallet. I thought enough of KI to buy my 72 year old father one to replace his defective Barnett predator that Barnett refused to stand behind after the riser cracked under the rail with less than 500 shots through it. Needless to say, I wouldn't TOUCH a Barnett if someone gave it to me for free, but these are solely MY OPINIONS, based on my personal findings and dealings. I wish you all the best in your choice. No matter what you choose, enjoy it and be safe!

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Other things to consider include if you are using it for hunting or at the range only.
Shooting free-standing, from a rest or both?
Shapes and sizes can differ greatly between manufacturers.
A xbow that is handy at the range may not be the best choice for you in the bush.
It may be a good idea to go to Bass Pro or another local archery shop if possible.
Shoulder up some different makes/models.
They do not all feel the same and you might get that "eureka" moment where one just "feels" right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts