Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my short time of using crossbows, I have noticed from others, and had my own issues with string and or serving wear. Now the only crossbows I have owned are the Horton Storm and the TP Shadow NXT. It seems most of the guys I have seen with the above mentioned issues are owners of very narrow bows, such as Ravin or the Tenpoint NXT lines. It also seems to be an issue with many of the reverse draw bows. I can only assume it is because of the severe string angle of theses types of bows. It seems that maybe strings and serving materials have just not caught up with the advancing technology of the bows. Or those that make the strings and servings, especially in the local shops, don't have the knowledge to prevent these issues. Now with that being said, Marty made me a string this past summer that I have had absolutely zero issues with, so that tells me it can be done. But what I'm wondering is, as we see the need for the speed envelope pushed further and further, will this trend with breaking strings and servings continue? Also, it seems a "compromise", if you will, may be a different design, such as the Tenpont Turbo M1 or Titan M1. Thoughts??

Blessings...........Pastorjim

·
4,966 Posts
I think it’s similar, but not the same as the issues with fastflite string on compound bows of the ‘90s. That stuff would never stop creeping. Eventually, better materials were made to all but eliminate the problem. Better string guys all seem to put a string under several hundred # of pressure and serve at almost serving breaking tension. A way of doing that quickly by machine would help cut down on problems.

·
13,227 Posts
Marty … "The String Man" has to give us the opportunity to buy one of his strings in a mass customer testing program to see if his techniques have reduced the serving issue as much as people seem to be saying!:D;) Start a thread or something Marty so I can find out what you need to make me a string. I'll tell you right now, I have no idea of my Orion factory specs...lol:p:)

Reactions: Martymig

·
TenPoint Siege, TenPoint Eclipse
793 Posts
Even the Turbo M1 is not without its issues. Monday I had the string break in less than 35 shots while sighting it in using Spynal Tapps with the required Alpha nocks. The inserts were glued in and the Alpha nock properly aligned and pressed in. To say I was pi**sed would be putting it mildly. The brand new crossbow was put in its case and will be dealt with later.
In comparison the original string on my now three year old TenPoint Eclipse was replaced last year after more than 500 shots only because the serving separated and began showing signs of wear. The string angle is not as severe on the Eclipse which leads me to believe that the strings are unable to handle the stress put on them from the extremely narrow crossbow design.

·
Registered
438 Posts
My Horton RDX had serving separation after 150 shots and this bow has 135# draw weight. I will get it a new serving on it in Spring, but I am not sure if my local bow shops know how to do it.

·
Registered
Nemesis 480 & DeathStalker 380, I live near Greensburg PA. I enjoy building custom strings
7,753 Posts
It's unnerving to hear of strings breaking on these narrow crossbows when I own one of the narrowest ones on the market.
I build my strings with extra strands. The normal count is 38 to reach a good Q nock fit for Scorpyd style crossbows but I change it up a little. The string still will fit a Q nock but it has more strands. The center serving is still a good diameter though. I don't feel going thin will hold up the way I want it to.

·
Registered
Nemesis 480 & DeathStalker 380, I live near Greensburg PA. I enjoy building custom strings
7,753 Posts
My Horton RDX had serving separation after 150 shots and this bow has 135# draw weight. I will get it a new serving on it in Spring, but I am not sure if my local bow shops know how to do it.
Just look me up. I'll take care of it for you.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Marty … "The String Man" has to give us the opportunity to buy one of his strings in a mass customer testing program to see if his techniques have reduced the serving issue as much as people seem to be saying!:D;) Start a thread or something Marty so I can find out what you need to make me a string. I'll tell you right now, I have no idea of my Orion factory specs...lol:p:)
Thanks for the recognition Duke. I think I'm going to do a Christmas special or something for everyone that wants to try one out. This gives me a great idea.:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.