Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Wicked Ridge RDX 400
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greeting folks!

Grew up surrounded by hunters and never took the opportunity until I became a retiree in suburb of DC. Work harder, not smarter is apparently is my destiny. And then I learned that urban archery is a real thing.... so I'm in and excited to learn! New 'bow (RDX 400) is in the mail from the fan favorite in New Hampshire. I plan to engage with a local archery club to see if I can add a little more crossbow compatibility to their setup.

I've already done a lot of reading on this site so thanks to all those that are contributing!!!

If you are near Alexandria or Arlington (Virginia) and want to help a new guy out, I'm all ears and I like to buy people coffee.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Welcome to the Nation. I got a RDX400 a few months ago. I like mine. Let us know how you like yours after you get it.

·
Registered
centerpoint sniper 370
169 Posts
Greeting folks!

Grew up surrounded by hunters and never took the opportunity until I became a retiree in suburb of DC. Work harder, not smarter is apparently is my destiny. And then I learned that urban archery is a real thing.... so I'm in and excited to learn! New 'bow (RDX 400) is in the mail from the fan favorite in New Hampshire. I plan to engage with a local archery club to see if I can add a little more crossbow compatibility to their setup.

I've already done a lot of reading on this site so thanks to all those that are contributing!!!

If you are near Alexandria or Arlington (Virginia) and want to help a new guy out, I'm all ears and I like to buy people coffee.
Welcome

·
Registered
14,158 Posts
Welcome to the boards.

·
Registered
Wicked Ridge RDX 400
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the Nation. I got a RDX400 a few months ago. I like mine. Let us know how you like yours after you get it.
So I have zero experience to compare it to anything else other than holding all of the Tenpoint/WR models at their location in Ohio. I liked the RDX then, and I still like it now because it seems so much more balanced with the reverse limb design. I've only been able to do some short range sighting-in in my yard up to this point but just confirmed with my closest archery range that if I bring my own target I can use all of the shooting points they typically prohibit crossbow shooters from using. I look forward to stretching things out at some longer ranges in the next few days.

My first impression was that it was a little louder than I expected, was way more accurate than I expected (using a Vortex Crossfire II), and took very little effort to cock. But again...I've only shot at 20 yards so that's probably a less-than-useful observation...which I am a pro at making. Ask my wife.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Greeting folks!

Great post and welcome to Archery.
Great stuff and memories to be had.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
But again...I've only shot at 20 yards so that's probably a less-than-useful observation...which I am a pro at making.
Hvr...I've been shooting urban for 6 years at the request of HOA (multiple cases of Lyme Disease). Longest shot 40 yards (once), shortest 2 yards, mean 18 yards. Your bow is fast enough to not be concerned about trajectory at these ranges; it is close to LOS. My intent is to pass-thru on every shot through the heart or large blood vessels, but if not, I depend on a 575 grain arrow to break anything in the way, coming in or going out.

Use the archery club to pad your resume with "certifications", crossbow safety courses, and competitive shoots. You may "suffer the slings and arrows" from the club, but you'll have a home here on the Nation.😁

A 20 yard range in your backyard is plenty to put field points through "dimes". Touch the dime on every shot and heart won't stand a chance. When you hunt, just put that sticker directly on the heart and shoot it just like you do in practice.

Sight-in with your hunting broadhead. So what if they don't fly with your field points in practice; you practice for shot consistency not score. Every shot should be in the same place relative to the aiming point. In the blind or stand just "keep the faith" with your sight-in and shooting form. But for Heaven's Sake don't forget to release the SAFETY.😁

Hope to see you in the Success Thread this Fall.

·
Registered
Wicked Ridge RDX 400
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have any pictures of your bow?
If that was for me, it looks just liked every RDX 400 picture on the Interweb. Nuthin special except it's better looking than I am and shoots a lot straighter.

I've destroyed three arrows pre-testing myself for the local urban archery test. I literally am hitting the nocks of the previous arrows at 30 yards, standing unsupported. In one group the arrow went through the fletch of the previous arrow, perfect angled hole. And I may be dumb, but I'm not an idiot. I realize that shooting at the same bullseye will lead to that, but I wanted to be absolutely sure where I was grouping.

I really didn't consider that getting into the crossbow world really meant I was getting into the crossbow arrow repair and build world.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts