Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy - been lurking a long time and I’m sad to open my account needing advice. Took a shot this morning (~8:10 am) at just about 25 yards, very slight quartering away so functionally a broadside. I felt super good about the shot, but only for the few milliseconds it took to hear what must have been a shoulder thwack. Indeed, I watched through the scope as he took off into the dense forest/shrubbery 40 yards across the meadow with my arrow wobbling around, which fell out before he cleared the open space. I waited a bit, cocked again, and sat for another hour. Then I decided to inspect the site and recover my arrow, my annoyance with myself tempered only by the thought that it must be a superficial wound and the big guy might recover.
When I found my arrow it was broken off leaving slightly more than half the shaft length and covered with darkish red blood almost all the way to the fletching (20” bolt, shwacker 2 blade mechanical). I obviously would have been tracking later this afternoon anyway, but I may now wait until tomorrow morning.
Any thoughts on what it might have meant to have an arrrow break off at that point and nearly be covered with blood? Could it have passed through the majority of the scapula and then stopped? Or, could it have penetrated just a bit and then the first few strides moving up and down the shaft coat it with blood, giving the illusion of deeper penetration?
I know what I’ll be doing this afternoon or tomorrow morning regardless, but if anyone has insights I’m all ears.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Well if it was a high shoulder hit it's going to be a tough job. Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Dark blood likely liver. He's likely dead.

·
Registered
445 Posts
If the arrow went through and lodged in the opposite shoulder and then broke off your deer is dead, waiting several hours won't hurt anything I hope you have a good blood trail to follow so you can find him. If you just hit the closet shoulder there's a good chance he will live. Good luck I hope you recover him

·
Registered
14,913 Posts
Sounds to me like about 10" of arrow made it through and maybe took out both lungs. I would have given him an hour or so and taken up the trail.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Don't give up. Follow your instincts and very slowly do diagonals if you lose blood. I always have florescent red duct tape with me to put in trees and mark route deer is taking. They usually go in straight line and when they turn they head in straight line again . They are very deliberate in what they do

·
Registered
2017 Vauxhall Mokka Elite
498 Posts
You can buy a black light torch or a uv torch ant remember which that when you shine it on blood it make the blood glow get one of those for the next time just incase you need it. Have you found the deer yet?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts