Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. First post, so please go easy :) My wife and I own some remote, off-grid land in the Virginia Appalachians. We have a small cabin there. I currently have four legacy Moultrie cams deployed. We typically remove the SD cards and go through the photos on a laptop after we arrive to catch up on critter activity, and, as far as it goes, that works fine for us. A couple of years ago we decided to look into having one additional cam with internet capability that we could train on the cabin front. Among other advantages, that would allow us to avoid the suspense every time we drive down (about 9 hours, 2 or 3 times a year) about whether the cabin got struck by lightning and burned to the ground since our last visit, or a tree fell on it, etc. The only cellular coverage available at the site is from US Cellular. When I originally looked into this, the only cam manufacturer I found that could use their network was Spartan. I had scoped out a likely camera that could be set up to take a photo (or a burst of three photos) daily at a pre-set time, and send those to my email address. The rest of the time the camera would function on a motion trigger and store the photos to the card, as is the basic mode for most of these cameras. Considering the distance to the site, I really have no need or use for a camera that will constantly send photos in near real time to my computer or my phone, and as an inveterate cheapskate, I don't want to pay for the bandwidth required to do so. Unfortunately, I found at the time that even US Cellular did not have the internet data capability at the site needed to make this work (we have a USC pay-as-you-go voice-only phone now). That appears to have changed, their maps now clearly show that our site has 5G coverage, with a bit of the surrounding area dropping to 4G, and no cell holes or 3G/2G drop-offs shown anywhere nearby. I got back on the Spartan site a few minutes ago, to find that their offerings and even their web site layout has completely changed, making it impossible to quickly determine an equivalent camera to what I had previously selected. Rather than try to delve further there, I decided to look for a reliable forum that covers this subject area, and ask for experience and advice from some folks who have actually done this. Any thoughts on brands and models of cameras that can do this? Thanks in advance!

SAM

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haven't
Have you looked into Spypoint?
I haven't looked into anything in depth since evaluating the Spartan offerings 2 years ago. When I went to the Spartan site yesterday it was pretty clear to me I would be starting from scratch there, and I also noticed their connected camera prices have gone through the roof (possibly all brands have gone up similarly, or could be Spartan has added a boatload of features to their line that I have no use for). I also figure it is highly likely that other manufacturers can now operate on the US Cellular network. I was hoping to find someone here who is doing something similar: sending photos by email and/or using a connected camera on US Cellular, and leverage their observations and recommendations to narrow the field before I dive into intensive analysis again. There are so many cameras out there, and so many phony web sites claiming to do reviews of items they are only promoting for compensation that I really hope to avoid the need to start over with raw web searches.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts