Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After yesterday I paying the prices at the ripe age of 63 from sitting in my tree stand for morning and evening hunts. Yikes! My sons told me dad you need to stand to stretch your legs. Hell, I didn't know that. Curious how often tree stand/climber stand to during their hunts.

News years resolution, core exercises will happen as a add-on to m weight lifting on off days. :D:eek:

Reactions: smong2000

·
Registered
28 Posts
After yesterday I paying the prices at the ripe age of 63 from sitting in my tree stand for morning and evening hunts. Yikes! My sons told me dad you need to stand to stretch your legs. Hell, I didn't know that. Curious how often tree stand/climber stand to during their hunts.

News years resolution, core exercises will happen as a add-on to m weight lifting on off days. :D:eek:
I have a summit viper climber great stand and very comfy for all day sits. I also put third hand archery stabilizing straps and bow holder on it. After you tighten up straps it doesn’t move at all. Also get your self a HSS harness and their tree strap, tree strap makes climbing so much easier and quiet and quicker.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
721 Posts
I usually stand up about every 40 minutes or so to stretch my legs. At 54 and with aging knees from sports it helps to reduce them from getting stiff, plus I have a hard time sitting still any where.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I try to limit my movement in my climbers or ladder stands so I set them up as "sitting" stands. At a tall 5' 9", I'm built pretty low to the ground so I can change leg positions in my Summit's for circulation value without standing. I do all-day sits as well and when I do stand, I typically will raise the upper so I have a lean-on rail, re-adjust the 3rd hand safety straps (get them Tom if you don't have them) and stand of a hour or so. Then I'm back to sitting for the most part. In a 12 hour sit I'm up once, maybe twice.

·
Registered
15,574 Posts
I mostly hunt about 3 hours at a time so most of my time is sitting. My Goliath came with the foot rail which is great for your legs too. I make sure to stretch and stand for a minute or two before starting the climb down. Like said, get the straps from 3rdhand. Theyre great. I also fabricated a bow holder so I don't have to sit holding my bow the entire time on stand. Biggest problem I have with my Summit is staying awake. LOL:):):)

Reactions: TomOnTheRun

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have all safety measures covered regarding harness. Per my original post do any of you stand to stretch your legs?

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now a tree Stan Xbow holder is awesome!

·
Registered
16,628 Posts
I am almost deaf and can't hear a deer at all so I stand more than I sit as I am constantly scanning the surroundings in a 360 degree circle looking for motion. I can't do that while sitting and I know I miss a lot of sightings when I do sit for a while. Dang deer always pop up where I am not expecting them.

·
4,947 Posts
I don't stand that often, but maybe every hour or so. At 6'2", 230# (like most of America, working on that;)), I don't want to move much in my stands. I also don't look for the most hopeless tangle of branches in the woods to place a stand like some of the narrow afficianados must, so if I move too much, it's bad. Hunting season is not good for my lower back. I try to get in better shape before and after the season. I also do a little yoga thing called "The Magic 4", which helps keep me going.

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My lower back is really inflamed from all the sitting. I just couldn't go today because of the pain. I will try again this afternoon.

·
Registered
Excalibur Exomax
665 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
It’s very important we stand and stretch in the stand. Even do some squats. Blood clots form easily in the veins of the lower extremities when we’re sitting sedentary for long periods. As a medical professional I advise us all to do this and to take 325mg of aspirin before you go hunting for the day in the stand. Aspirin helps reduce the ability of clot formation by thinning the blood a bit. Long plane rides and car rides are notorious for causing blood clots that then break loose and go to the lungs and right side of the heart. We all want to avoid this possibility!
At least once every 45 minutes to an hour move the legs, stand, stretch, squats and sit raising your lower limbs. You’ll feel better, stay more alert and avoid those damn nasty clots!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I did that for a few years and then swapped over to baby aspirin. I can rub either arm on about anything now and bruise my arms black and blue. Almost a free bleeder now too it seems like if I cut myself. Dang heart makes me take them.
81mg is fine for a daily routine but the 325mg is just for that prolonged sitting scenario. 325mg per day is too much! No wonder you’re bleeding. Fish oil thins the blood as well. A combo of aspirin AND fish oil can be very risky for bleeding much too easy when cut or severe bruising. Surgeons don’t like that combination during emergency surgery...way too much bleeding while operating and it takes a lot more bleeding control for them to operate.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.