Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a chance to sight in the 29x today. That arrow screams! Still very accurate (always amazes me).

Anyway, I have big hands and I was trying to squeeze the trigger with the pad of my index finger but it was hard to do that because the trigger was so close. Is there any way to adjust the trigger or maybe add some forward distancing piece or rear palm swell? As I was shooting it I noticed my finger wrapped all the way around that trigger and I would rather have it adjusted a little. Has anyone figured out a solution to moving the trigger position forward?

Let me know if you have anything or think of anything.

Phil

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
Sonoran Desert Arizona.
540 Posts
I got a chance to sight in the 29x today. That arrow screams! Still very accurate (always amazes me).

Anyway, I have big hands and I was trying to squeeze the trigger with the pad of my index finger but it was hard to do that because the trigger was so close. Is there any way to adjust the trigger or maybe add some forward distancing piece or rear palm swell? As I was shooting it I noticed my finger wrapped all the way around that trigger and I would rather have it adjusted a little. Has anyone figured out a solution to moving the trigger position forward?

Phil
They used to make a trigger shoe that would fit over triggers on rifles and would attach with small allen screws . I haven't looked for one in years but that might help. Moves it forward and makes it wider.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Phil, I may have asked this same question recently. Like you, I like to use the pad of my finger. And like having my finger stretched out straighter a bit. I've been looking for something like HunterB suggested.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I think the problem relates to the fact that Ravin continues to reduce the size of their pistol grip.
One of the first things I did after buying my R10 was to beef up the pistol grip to the size of the one on my R9.

I can't promise you anything but I'll try to design and print a trigger extension that you can install and attach with a set screw. Since both of you guys are past customers, I'll send one to each of you free of charge if I can get it right. It might take at least a couple of weeks since I only do this stuff part time but I'll try. In the meantime, if you find something else that works for you, just let me know.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Big Bird I would like one for R29. Please let me know.
Sure HunterB,
You know I can't leave you out.

Guys, if you don't know HunterB, let me just say he could show you some western US Trophy mounts all taken with a Ravin arrow and a Ravin crossbow that would blow your mind.
He is a very humble guy but this man is the real genuine big game hunter among us and I've seen the photos to prove it.
However, I'll leave it at that because I certainly don't want to embarrass the man.

Please don't take this the wrong way because we have some awesome hunters on this sub-forum all of which can git-er-done. I mean folks like Riflenut, Iowaguy and others who can slay deer with the best of them. I imagine they could do the same with other big game if given the opportunity.

OK, back to the subject at hand, it was too hot and humid to do much outside this afternoon so I completed your R29 trigger extension design. I just need a consensus as to how far you want it extended in front. BTW, it's in 2 halves that will sandwich together around the existing trigger and are screwed together with a tiny screw at the top and back where the opening is in the existing trigger. I haven't printed it yet so that might be a show stopper but I think we might be alright. It's of course a little wider since it wraps around the existing trigger and currently extends 9mm in front.
Just let me know.

·
Premium Member
3,746 Posts
.... Has anyone figured out a solution to moving the trigger position forward?
Phil
You could add something like a piece of silicone/rubber to the back of the R29X grip.
That will increase the distance from your palm to your finger.

I have the same issue with our R26 so I use the area of my finger that is closer to the second joint from the fingertip.
If I can find a piece of something to add to the back of the grip, I will give it a try and take some pics.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
You could add something like a piece of silicone/rubber to the back of the R29X grip.
That will increase the distance from your palm to your finger.

I have the same issue with our R26 so I use the area of my finger that is closer to the second joint from the fingertip.
If I can find a piece of something to add to the back of the grip, I will give it a try and take some pics.
You mean like this? I've been shooting my R10 with this wrapped pistol grip pretty much ever since I bought it. I actually forgot what I used but it's probably tennis foam wrap under electrical tape since I played tennis twice a week for over 20 years.

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sure HunterB,
You know I can't leave you out.

Guys, if you don't know HunterB, let me just say he could show you some western US Trophy mounts all taken with a Ravin arrow and a Ravin crossbow that would blow your mind.
He is a very humble guy but this man is the real genuine big game hunter among us and I've seen the photos to prove it.
However, I'll leave it at that because I certainly don't want to embarrass the man.

Please don't take this the wrong way because we have some awesome hunters on this sub-forum all of which can git-er-done. I mean folks like Riflenut, Iowaguy and others who can slay deer with the best of them. I imagine they could do the same with other big game if given the opportunity.

OK, back to the subject at hand, it was too hot and humid to do much outside this afternoon so I completed your R29 trigger extension design. I just need a consensus as to how far you want it extended in front. BTW, it's in 2 halves that will sandwich together around the existing trigger and are screwed together with a tiny screw at the top and back where the opening is in the existing trigger. I haven't printed it yet so that might be a show stopper but I think we might be alright. It's of course a little wider since it wraps around the existing trigger and currently extends 9mm in front.
Just let me know.
BigBird, 9mm would be excelent for my self. If I need any more than that, I may take up dynamo61's idea about adding to the backstrap of the grip. 9mm (.354) will be quite an improvement. And a wider "shoe" will help take up some figer pad space too. You've got some great ideas and products Sir!

·
Premium Member
3,746 Posts
You mean like this? I've been shooting my R10 with this wrapped pistol grip pretty much ever since I bought it. I actually forgot what I used but it's probably tennis foam wrap under electrical tape since I played tennis twice a week for over 20 years.
Hi Bigbird1, I guess that is the ticket, yes!
It seems as though you have added something to the front of the trigger as well?
I'm thinking something a little more solid than foam, maybe a few layers of soft rubber or vinyl tubing sliced open to wrap around only the back half of the grip.
I had not thought about adding to the front of the trigger.
BigBird, 9mm would be excelent for my self. If I need any more than that, I may take up dynamo61's idea about adding to the backstrap of the grip. 9mm (.354) will be quite an improvement. And a wider "shoe" will help take up some figer pad space too. You've got some great ideas and products Sir!
If you are making something up for Texas Grown, let me know as I may be interested as well!
Cheers,
dynamo61

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Hi Bigbird1, I guess that is the ticket, yes!
It seems as though you have added something to the front of the trigger as well?
I'm thinking something a little more solid than foam, maybe a few layers of soft rubber or vinyl tubing sliced open to wrap around only the back half of the grip.
I had not thought about adding to the front of the trigger.

If you are making something up for Texas Grown, let me know as I may be interested as well!
Cheers,
dynamo61
Dyanomo,
You have to remember we're only talking about a 3 pound trigger. The sear breaks before the foam gives. But it helps to provide a surprise shot which is always desireable for long range accuracy.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Sounds good Bigbird.
You continue to amaze.
Needs to stand up to vibration though. Not get loose or fall off.
Smaller hands the grip fits better on R29.
Surprised the vital limits folks didn’t think of and make.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Sounds good Bigbird.
You continue to amaze.
Needs to stand up to vibration though. Not get loose or fall off.
Smaller hands the grip fits better on R29.
Surprised the vital limits folks didn’t think of and make.

Cheers
Thanks Riflenut but you amaze me as well. I always remind folks if you want to see accurate crossbow shooting, watch Riflenut put the same arrow in the same hole 3 consecutive times from 80 yards. Enough said.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looking forward to hearing how the trigger extension works out. Y'all have given me some ideas to try on the grip. Just like most of you, I also like using the first pad on my finger. The R26 sure makes it complicated to use that first pad...changes a person's entire shooting stance almost.
I'm glad to see this subject being brought up and will stay tuned for any updates.
Have a terrific Independence Day.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Well let me just say, I'm working on it but it's turned out to be a PIA because the parts are so small. Measurements have to be extremely precise. I'm currently on my 4th design iteration and I imagine there will be at least 2 more before it's done. The good news is it's doable and I think you'll like the look and feel.
My screws won't be in until Monday anyway so I'll probably give it a rest for a few days.
Happy Independence Day to all of you as well.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Well I'll be dang. The 5th iteration seems to be perfect. I think I can dig up 1 flat head screw tomorrow and I'll give you a peek of it on my R9.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I am reading your replies and have a dumb question. Could you use a piece of pipe insulation of proper size cut to fit the back of the grip as a sort of spacer and take up some extra space. I don't own a ravin just a thought probably dumb but a thought.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts