Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got a newsletter from my rep.
BR, lever, Tom, JCAT... I look forward to your response. On service and tuning.... what is better reference point on the cams to use as a timing reference??
Cut outs?
String posts?
Cable posts?
Lots of opinions per manufacturer but speaking on Barnett only

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
Once the crossbow is properly timed, I put a mark on each cam where the cable crosses. If it is a dark colored cam (example black), I use whiteout or mistake out. If the cam is light colored (example grey) I use a black Sharpie marker.
If they make a Sharpie marker in white, it would be better than whiteout or mistake out. The Sharpie is a permanent marker.
If my cams are timed for normal speed, then advanced for a different speed, they may have more than one mark on each, but still where the cable crosses each time.

All the best.

·
Registered
9,709 Posts
I use them all lol On my Barnett though string and cable posts.When I have them the way I like them and everything is good I take pics of the cam position.No cut outs on these cams.
103_8924.JPG

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But what point let's you know it's in proper or near perfect time. Difference in points....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I will use all reference points cam cutouts, string posts, cam tip to string, what ever gives you the best look!!

·
Registered
9,709 Posts
But what point let's you know it's in proper or near perfect time. Difference in points....

Thats a whole different story. If they are the same they are in time as long as the limbs are equal. Proper/perfect time would be set by ATA and power stroke measurement/brace height. I fallow these parameters and chrono speeds. They can really have you scratching your head some times. Thats why I like to take pics when it all comes together.

Reactions: B cross

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
IMO, the cams are in sync when the exact amount of string wrap around the cams are the same and the string exits the cam at the same location for both cams. I usually will mark the cams at that spot with a pencil and compare. Then use any other other available reference to help keep tabs on it.
Cam Timing2-left.jpeg
Cam Timing2-right.jpeg

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,317 Posts

In the picture you submitted: look at the red color of your cable in reference to the hole near it. Both top and bottom cams appear to be in time. In the picture the cable splits that hole (half on each side). If I were to adjust the cam timing: 1)if the crossbow was not up to the advertised speed or 2)wishing to advance my cams for more speed, I would mark the cams where the cable crosses. I now have a reference point should I wish to return to the original setting or later on when changing cables.

As a further check, when the crossbow is cocked, I would see how the cams compare.

All the best.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. True it is a bit of a head scratcher cause for every person asked you'll get conflicting answers. According to the "experts" that design them only cable posts should be used. I dont really agree with that. That's why I threw it out to all. We at least take the time to really work out best remedies

·
Registered
13,491 Posts
I noticed in the pics that some bows are at rest but at least one is cocked. Should be timing be set (checked on) cocked or uncocked?

·
Registered
9,709 Posts
I think both. Just as well as cam lean etc.

X2. Usually they will both be good cocked and uncocked unless you have a weak limb. I always make sure I look at cam lean cocked. I will also measure ATA top limbs and bottom limbs if they are the same. Cam lean is usually good.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't forget some manufacturers use timming marks on the cam for ur use that disect the limbs!!
Not always accurate on the Mark's though. Barnett doesn't have a definate "mark" per say. The newsletter I received from my Barnett rep.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts