Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
364 Posts
I put one out last year The deer seem to like it real well but it doesn't attarct them anywhere near as good as edible bait. They roll the rock around, paw up the dirt underneath it but don't visit it in any consistent pattern.

I went to horse feed in my feeders as it is a bit cheaper. Several guys I know use cabbage, pumpkins, sugar beets and of course apples. None of which will work in a broadcast feeder or a PVC feeder

·
110 Posts
I was thinking that trophy rock was a mineral supplement?? If that is the case deer will only visit or use it if they are defficient or lacking in a particular mineral that the rock contains. My strategy with minerals is to not hunt them but put them along trails so the deer can utilize them as needed to grow more meat and antlers...Well i'm just talking now, I don't even know if a trophy rock is a mineral or not??? lol

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
We use a block, but it's called an Apple block and works good. A little softer than the usual mineral block. IMO, there is no better bait than dry corn fed on a regular basis. Regular basis, regular visitors. Too bad it's $9.25 a #50 bag right now!
How much is corn on your area?

·
Armed Citizen
1,918 Posts
Hey UL I did 2 mineral stations this year with Whitetail Institute 30-06 minerals. One with protein and one regular. 5lb bag of each 20 feet apart for a test. In 2 weeks it was all gone with 4-6 inch deep craters. I switched to a trophy rock shortly thereafter. I think the rock has been sitting on it's stump since early June.
I do not have a camera on the rock. The whole area is destroyed with a large portion of the rock still sitting there. They absolutely love it. And it is lasting for months not weeks.
These 2 fellows are crossing the clover patch from the direction of the trophy rock:

Got mine for $16 at Cabela's. Well worth the money and won't be disappointing.

·
665 Posts
Don't know if it legal but if you can go to the feed store and get a salt block, that they give horses They are white and around $6.00 they work great

The trophy rock works but over priced
also try carrots, Where I hunt they have corn,sugar beets,beans wheat and apples to choose from that the farmer is growing and when I put out carrots they tear them apart

·
665 Posts
I have also used liquid deer cane poured over a stump and that worked great. The hole next to the stump must have been a foot deep and 4 feet wide

another trick is to put peanut butter down on the salt block to get them to find it, and then they lick the peanut butter and there there for awhile licking and the other deer see them hanging out and come over and bam, a new restaurant in the area:D

·
30 Posts
I've been using Trophy Rocks for about 4 years now. The first year or two it took awhile to get the animals used to coming to it, and the results were sporadic. While deer will visit it all year long, they will come to it more often in the hot summer months than in the winter months. However, they WILL come by in the winter months also, just not as much.
By the third year in place, the deer visited it regularly.
By keeping it in place, and refreshing it with a new rock a couple of times a year, it's turned into a place where the deer cruise by, whether they lick on it or not. I replace the rocks every 4 months or so.
I place my Trophy Rocks in hardwood valleys, so they have a canopy of foliage over them most of the year to keep the rain from melting them as much as possible.
If you don't replace the Trophy Rock, the deer will eat the dirt around where the Trophy Rock was. I'd rather them lick the rock, so I keep one out all year long.
At $15-16 apiece for 4 months, it's a lot cheaper than other attractants, and it will keep deer in the area. It's just one of those more 'long term' things as opposed to a corn feeder. If you have property that'll be yours to hunt for several years, by all means toss a Trophy Rock out there. Don't be discouraged if it doesn't bring tremendous results the first year. Look at it as an investment in next years hunt. And DONT forget about it during the year. 4-5 months is about all you're going to get out of one before it's licked away or washed away. If you maintain it, it'll keep the deer in the area.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts