Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trouble for me is imminent.

My daughter and I have been told that our internet service will be degraded to road runner light within the next few days.

Without a doubt, it will be totally taken away shortly there after.

If we should suddenly stop posting, this will be the reason.

I will also not have a phone number as I now am using Vonage because that is all I can afford and it is internet (broadband) based.

This will kill my only income outside of my disability check, i.e. my ebay business.

IF ... I can find a way for us to move from here we will be back on line should this happen.

I hope my membership will remain intact during any down time, and it could be a long down time.

I don't know what to say. I am really sorry I moved in with my son-in-law. This move may just have destroyed me.

·
Hunter
6,193 Posts
I am truly sorry to hear of your situation,Sometimes a bad cloud comes over ones life just befor good things start to happen.Been there done that.
Sincerely Hope things turn for the better .

·
1,228 Posts
Best of luck man...sorry to hear of your problems.
A lot of us have been there, (myself included).

Mike

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
I have employees who go to the local library or bookstores and use the internet.
Others who pirate mine in the driveway or from the neighbors in the apartments they live in. I purposely don't block mine so anyone close can use it. I don't care.
BUT!!! Here's another option. I have a laptop I got "refurbished" for cheap, cheap, and I have a cell phone that is Sprint. I can use my cell as a modem for the laptop anywhere there's cell signal. I use it on the road and in the field all the time. That may be your best option for phone and internet service. After all, that's what you need to keep your income, right?
Dell computers has refurbished computers for sale on their site but the link is not real obvious. I got one loaded with Vista and DVD burning stuff and office stuff, etc for $600.00 Then, I downloaded the driver to use my cell from my provider, Sprint, and they included the cable to connect the phone to the computer. I think the modem and the TV service on the phone, unlimited minutes, etc costs $40.00 a month.

·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a laptop. My income is very very limited. I don't get enough in my disability check to make it from one month to the next, and I am not selling a whole lot of my product, but do not want to drop it because it will eventually catch on. I cannot mention the crossbow company, but I will be designing and building a ReStringer for one that is moving to the USA.

Now to add fuel to the fire, my son-in-law bought this new, very expensive home, not listening to my daughter and I tell him what was going on as far as the home mortgage bubble and the impending collapse of the dollar, and it seems I will soon be facing being homeless as well. He cannot keep up with the bills, and the home construction industry, which he is in, is collapsing in the state of Florida. His income is about one fifth what he was making.

I am going to put an application in today at a custom cabinet shop as an installer, but I am 64 years old and am a realist. The reason I don't have a job has more to do with job/age discrimination than anything.

I was a commercial painter in Nashville, Tennessee before I came here, and lost my job to the influx of illegal immigrants who flat out took the trade over, and put me, and many others, out of work.

To boot, I developed carpal tunnel and a trapped ulnar nerve, plus suffered torn shoulder tendons because of extreme repetitive motion involved in painting. A judge in Nashville listened to two insurance company lawyers over logic and what is a fact about painting methods and awarded me just about enough to cover some of the bills I had incurred after waiting three years for the settlement. I wound up with nothing, and behind two years in my rent and was forced to move in with my daughter and her family.

I am not giving up, but in reality realize that my chances to pull out this time are very slim.

I sure wish I could sell a lot more of my product. That would definitely help the situation.

I want to add, that if anyone knows of an area where I can find work, and some kind of housing that would accommodate my daughter and I, hopefully away from any metropolitan area, I will relocate. I am one hell of a good guitarist, and can play a variety of music. I have experience in carpentry, painting, and electronics. I have a guitar and an amplifier, and some painting tools, and some carpentry tools.

I don't know if this link will work, but if it does, I have a few recordings that I played all guitars on that someone could download to see what I can do. Someone please let me know if the link works:

Songs I have recorded

I have played with a lot of C&W stars and bands and quite a few rock and blues bands in my life.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
I'm also in the construction biz, AND a painter! I was fired from the jobsites as I'm harder on the employees than what my boss, my other half, thinks I should be. Now, I'm just the secretary/book keeper. I write the checks so I know what work should be turned out per individual! I still jump in occasionally and help complete work and train new painters. SO, that's where all our ******** went. Florida. Yippee! Around here, we, the pendejo Americanos quit hiring them so they had to move on. One of our old helpers called from Minnesota this weekend. He's working as a roofer there. Good! Immigration won't get off ther lazy asses to pick them up when you call them in, so we ran them out by cutting off the income. It's not the same as it was 10 or 20 years ago when they were greatful for a job, and just wanted to work and support the family. They get to be too many and threaten to stop your work progress by walking off if they don't get ther way. "If you fire Pedro for getting drunk and not working today, all of our cousins are leaving and you can't finish the job". Fixed that. Don't hire any of them, or the cousins. I don't care about any of the sob stories anymore. I can't.

Now we train them and the next thing you know is they are contracting against us with the builders they met on the jobsites and the builders hire them since they saw them work on the jobs and they bid it cheap to get the work. I never teach them the business end, so they don't know how to charge, and bid the work cheaper, take the work from us, then cry and want to come back when they crash and burn. THEN, we're family again. No more! I love this current economy for one reason, because we are rocking with overloads of commercial work and they have nothing with the residential work at a halt. Maybe theyll go to Florida. Sorry. Your preaching to the choir on that one. Too bad OSHA doesn't do double duty as INS. OSHA is everywhere when you don't want them to be.

On the Son in Law~ He needs to do one of two things to save his butt. One is to get the home refinanced through another company, or two, put it on the market and get some money back out of the house and buy another home instead of loosing all of his investment and equity. Whatever he does, he needs to do it quick before he looses everything. Something is better than nothing and if he screws up his credit, he's really done for then. Our rates are low again here. My payment dropped @ 15% of what it was a year ago.
Good Luck to ya.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Wally, I'm always hiring good help. The thing is I dont know what the future holds, so in your case, not sure it's worth you moving so far just to work. If you showed up, I'd sure give you a whirl though. Personally, when I can, I would rather hire hands that are older than 40 because they/we are dependable and that's my biggest issue is in someone showing up everyday.
One of my old employees is set up here as a Painting contractor also. When he runs out of work, I hire him by the hour as contract labor to fill in and pay his bills. I can say in Texas, we aren't in as bad of shape as other states I've visited. We're in an area that was the #1 retirement community for doctors and lawyers, so the custom home biz is what brought us here. People with money will always HAVE money to spend. So right now, it's a great time for the commercial investors to build. Google Kerrville Texas. I don't advertise my company though so you won't see us listed anywhere. Not even in the phonebook. Its all word of mouth and has always been that way. Tight knit community. If your in. your in. No advertisement needed. It's a waste of money.

·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guide Girl said:
Wally, I'm always hiring good help. The thing is I dont know what the future holds, so in your case, not sure it's worth you moving so far just to work. If you showed up, I'd sure give you a whirl though. Personally, when I can, I would rather hire hands that are older than 40 because they/we are dependable and that's my biggest issue is in someone showing up everyday.
One of my old employees is set up here as a Painting contractor also. When he runs out of work, I hire him by the hour as contract labor to fill in and pay his bills. I can say in Texas, we aren't in as bad of shape as other states I've visited. We're in an area that was the #1 retirement community for doctors and lawyers, so the custom home biz is what brought us here. People with money will always HAVE money to spend. So right now, it's a great time for the commercial investors to build. Google Kerrville Texas. I don't advertise my company though so you won't see us listed anywhere. Not even in the phonebook. Its all word of mouth and has always been that way. Tight knit community. If your in. your in. No advertisement needed. It's a waste of money.
I'll resume this after I get back from putting in this application.

·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not out of the woods by a long shot yet ...

BUT

I posted today on the Tampa Bay and in the Lakeland version of craigslist, and have auditions with two bands on the first day within just a couple of hours of making my posts. And to boot, both bands play the kind of music I love to play, and they both are geared up to make money.

They have both listened to my recordings and really like my guitar work ... and my vocals , too.

I will keep everyone posted on how it turns out.

I go to jam with the first one in Lakeland this coming Tuesday evening.

:)

·
Hunter
6,193 Posts
Great ,wish you luck.

·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Revival said:
WallyD, I also downgraded to RR lite. It works just fine for me. Best of luck with everything.
Thanks, Brad .... I will somehow survive this .... after all I made it to 64 years old, and I survived Nixon :eek: Reagan :cool: and Bush One :ack2: and Clinton :ack2: .... I guess I am pretty resilient.

Hopefully I can make it through` Dubya

:D

·
342 Posts
Just hang in ther man! Keep your head up!:D

·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Today's update ... I am in a band in rehearsal stages.

The drummer's vocals have improved since he realizes that I am stone cold dead serious about the band being one of the best and will not settle for half efforts.

I am carrying the load of the vocals and I am shocked at how quick it is all coming back. I did manage to up grade my amplifier to a Fender 100 watt FM212R, and have started a rack system and have been lucky to find a real hi tech studio quality Korg DT-1 rack mount tuner. As soon as I had won it on eBay (at one hell of a low price) I listed my Boss TU12, and within 15 minutes the Boss sold. So I ended up with a $250.00 recording studio professional digital instrument tuner, and have less than 30 dollars invested in it. I located a Roland GP-8 with the FC-100 foot switch on eBay at a song, and it will be here Friday. AND ... I found a $600.00 Audio Technica DR-4500 Wireless Guitar System for 60 bucks in like brand new condition.

Now, I have located a 1957 reissue Fender Stratocaster at one hell of a good price, but have to wait till I sell my Guitar Research amplifier so I can put the 57 reissue on lay-a-way. Then I can pay for it as quick as I can gather up a little here and there. Meanwhile I have a Mexican built strat that I bought back when I was making money. The reissue is American made and is so much higher in quality craftsmanship I find myself without the words to explain it.

The rust on my playing ability is quickly disappearing and I am getting back to where if I think a line or a sound or a lick, my fingers can just do it. My hands are waking up again.

I did get on with the election board as a temporary poll worker. It doesn't pay much, but is better than nothing till something more lucrative comes my way. First election I will be working is on August 26th.

Back when I was young, all of this seemed much easier to cope with. But, I am kicking pretty damned high for an old fart. LOL

:lol:

I can hardly wait till I am playing on the reissue guitar though. Hope it happens soon.

Oh yeah ... at last night's rehearsal I was coined, named, ordained, whatever ... band leader.

:p

Our song list is growing rapidly. Two rehearsals and this is what we have down:

BAND SONG LIST

Born On The Bayou
Whiter Shade Of Pale
Born To Be Wild
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Mustang Sally
Evil Ways
Tulsa Time
Danger Zone
Gloria