Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we all know the speeds that are published by these crossbow companies aren't accurate.....I have the 415 I know it's more like 400 fps not 415 fps

with that said I was think of getting a high end crossbow like a Ravin or Tenpoint but thinking it's not a sound investment not only in price but they come with the same 5 year warranty my CP has

So I was thinking of getting another 415, or the 425 or the 400......with the the 425 and 400 what speeds are you guys getting? I myself use a heavier bolt so I know my speeds will be slower, but just curious of the speeds from the stock bolts just as a basis

Thank you

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
A few things depends on the speed the crossbow will shoot:
1)using an over weight arrow-point combination compared
to what the manufacture used in their advertisement, one will
lose an average of 3 feet per second for every 10 grain over.

2)depending on how the crossbow was tuned. If the bow
string and or cables have stretched will show a difference in
feet per second (slower).

Advancing the cams by adding equal 1/2 or full twists to the
cables will increase the speed of the crossbow. Axle to axle
measurement in the uncocked position is just a guide line.
The reason being if the bowstring and or cables come in a bit
on the short side which is better than too long can make a
change. Advancing the cams will lessen the axle to axle
measurement as it wraps more bowstring around the cams
when the crossbow is in the uncocked position.

If using a chronograph, place it one arrow length in front of
the riser. Some chronographs require a light shield especially
if in a building with florescent lighting. A difference in out side
lighting will effect a chronograph reading. Try to shoot the same
area both vertical and horizontal through a chronograph to obtain
the most accurate reading.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.

·
Administrator
TP Nitro 505, Vapor 470, Siege, Sub 1 XR, Wrath 430
1,974 Posts
Wrath 430 I chronoed shot 400 FPS with a 430 grain arrow. never chronoed I with a the 400 grain factory weight arrow.

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
The most notable feature you get with either of those brands is a nicely integrated cocking system and in the case of the TenPoints with ACUSlide, a "Safe" decocking system. Both brands are made in the USA and TenPoint is the Legacy brand with 27 years in the business. How that translates into dollar and cents value is up to you.

The CP 425 xbows are producing 405 to 415 with factory 400 gn arrows. The Wrath I have right now is shooting 390 with 442 gn arrows which is in line with WWBs numbers as well. Triggers are fair on the 425s and better than the 415s and the Wrath's is the best one out of CP so far.

The CP400 trigger is a nightmare at almost 8 lbs to break and has a 5/8" pull length. It's also the longest pull which is a bear for some folks 5'8" and under. It is an honest 400 fps and does have a Ravin riser on it.

My suggestion would be Wrath if you want a small form factor xbow with a very cool folding stirrup or the 425 if you like adjustability and a little better price point.

FWIW, the triggers on all of these CP xbows can be improved.

Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
163 Posts
pulse 425 shooting 394 with 445 grn. arrows

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
leaning towards the 430 Wrath
The 425 is very similar to the 415 which I have

I'm no rush so by spring....I will upgrade the scope....and I will use the Victory Decimator Bolts they are heavier then the stock bolts

Hows the silent crank on this wrath? Is it a PIA, does it get in the way, is it reliable or am I better off just cocking it back with the pull rope?

·
Crossbow Nut
5,189 Posts
My CP400 is shooting 401 fps with 400 grain factory arrows. Verified by chrony.

Reactions: johntwarchery

·
Registered
911 Posts
If weight is an issue, the new Wrath 430X is nearly a pound heavier than the current Wrath. At 9lbs bare, it’s more than I’d want to carry a long distance to the stand, or spot and stalk. Still considering adding the current Wrath to maybe get the little lady out hunting.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just had new strings and cables put on my 2-year old Amped 415 and had the shop run it through their chronograph. With an Evo-X and 125 grain target tip for a total weight of 470 grains, it shot 351 fps. This is about 5-6 fps more than I expected based up on my experience with it the last two years. I guess it would be interesting to have tried it with a 100 grain tip to see how much faster it would be. But I am happy with the results and look forward to checking out accuracy after the tune-up.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Here is a few thoughts where the crossbow could have changed speed:
The cams can be in time:
a)the original cables may have stretched a bit resulting in cams backing
off a bit there by losing a bit of speed.
b)the new cables may be a bit shorter or have extra 1/2 or full twists
which will advance the cams slightly resulting in a gain in speed.

Happy to hear you are satisfied with the results.
Take care.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts