Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019 was my first year xbow hunting. The dealer recommended RamCat fixed bhs. Shot 4 deer, great blood trails, big entry & exit holes.

2020: have heard so much regarding mechanicals I really wanted to give them a try. In my research I found only about fifty billion to decide from! Found the TG Tit X 4 blade to be quite highly regarded by several very experienced and well regarded here on CBN.

Shot a big ole fat doe two days after opening day, about 25ish yds out. Pass through dl shot. After the shot I ate a protein bar and gave nature a few minutes to do what it does. Went to where she stood expecting a good splatter, saw nothing... walked around and finally saw a few drops. Walked a few more steps, no blood. Was starting to get a little anxious. Got my flashlight out, this was about about 8 AM and found a few more drops. Finally found her about 60 yds out. Examined the two holes which seemed to be smaller than expected. Dressed her out, pretty messed up inside (good!) stuff her with ice and headed for the butcher.

Should I do have concerns having to use a flashlight during daylight to find what drops there were? Consequently I have concerns if they opened? If so what would cause them to not open?

I'd like to try and stay with them and shoot a couple more deer and see what those results are.

Thoughts..?

·
2,882 Posts
I think it’s luck of the draw, or perhaps where the head exited. I had a buck shot with a Grizz Trick only go 30 yards, but left virtually no blood. The only buck I shot with the Truglo Ti x did go over 100 yards. He was hard quartering away, and was all psyched up chasing does around. The head sliced 2 ribs going in, and 3 on the way out. Not a red carpet trail, but not difficult to follow. I’m using Ramcats this year because they worked so well last year, but I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot a deer with the Truglo either.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks JP, no doubt there are multiple dynamics that have to be taken into account.
Its just all the hype I read regarding mechanicals lead me to greater expectations. And my very first experience with them was pretty disappointing. I do however still have my Ramcat 125(s)...
Will someone please help me understand what keeps the blades open?
WTZ

·
2,882 Posts
WTZ, as far as I know, the tabs at the front of the blades keep them open. Stalker did a test in foam where it looked like the blades closed back up on exit. I kind of expected the blades to fold up and float around bone but the one I used sliced clean through 5 ribs and made a 1” gash in the shoulder blade.

CCC46277-5399-45EF-AE79-4E993F6449AC.jpeg

·
4,765 Posts
Only 4 kills with the TruGlo, but the holes seemed disproportionately large. Staying open - the blunt section of the blade is making first contact and has more drag than the sharp blade.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts