Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone seen anything like this before? Looks like something is scratching my nocks when I shoot. Strangely, I had these identical marks on my other arrows when I had my Bruin 410.
I was told that it was from too much downward string pressure on the Bruin, but my TS370 is shimmed and has zero down pressure.

·
2,785 Posts
If the arrow sits too high on the rail, the string can hit the moon nock below center and do that. I know the shimming is supposed to help that, but the string still makes the jump from the trigger latch, which hold the string below the top of the rail.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve pm’d BR, just waiting to hear back. Is there a fix for this? Odd that I’ve had this on 2 totally different bows.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Could be the bolt wanting to begin rotating while going down the rail. My Tenpoint Titan does that. They say completely normal.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
For me it is normal especially if the nocks are molded eccentric. The nock sticks out of tge shaft making it drag the rail. You can run your finger nail around the nock to determine if this is true.
Sometimes the string will sag down behind the latch due to down pressure caused by the lean in the limbs. This condition will also cause the nock end of arrow to drag rail.
I'm unsure why only one side of the nock tends to drag other than the eccentric nock. The limbs leaning down is by design. Some archers thank it isn't needed.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Additional information!
My nocks have drag marks and I haven't eliminated this condition only minimized.
I took action and notified the customer support. I replaced the rear assembly but that didn't correct the nock wear completely.
I decided to continue shooting it because of the lifetime warranty.
Glad I did. My Ripper is crazy accurate. I'm eaving it alone until something forces me to change it.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
That will not work if the nock has an eccentric body.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I was having the same issue. After a few hundred shots each arrow was starting to get deep marks in the nock and even the arrow shaft just below the nock (a lot worse than your pics). What the issue was in my case was the factory string on my PSE bow was very thick and the serving was also thick.

I switched out to a custom string and cables that where way better quality. The issue was the string / serving combination was less than 2/3 the thickness and the center of the string was not centered with the center of the 1/2 moon nock. I could have shimmed my bow ( I am assuming the cam shims ?) to make the string sit well above the rail. for now I have just switched back to the stock string and just have the custom cables.

Its a shame as it was a nice string but that aggressive shaft and nock wear along with accuracy issues are gone now.

I guess its something to look out for if you have a crossbow that ships with extra thick string/serving the rail slot will be setup to have your arrows centered with that thick string/serving.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
I was having the same issue. After a few hundred shots each arrow was starting to get deep marks in the nock and even the arrow shaft just below the nock (a lot worse than your pics). What the issue was in my case was the factory string on my PSE bow was very thick and the serving was also thick.

I switched out to a custom string and cables that where way better quality. The issue was the string / serving combination was less than 2/3 the thickness and the center of the string was not centered with the center of the 1/2 moon nock. I could have shimmed my bow ( I am assuming the cam shims ?) to make the string sit well above the rail. for now I have just switched back to the stock string and just have the custom cables.

Its a shame as it was a nice string but that aggressive shaft and nock wear along with accuracy issues are gone now.

I guess its something to look out for if you have a crossbow that ships with extra thick string/serving the rail slot will be setup to have your arrows centered with that thick string/serving.
Have you shimmed your TS370? If you do it will raise the string enough to be centered on the nock. After installing shims the bowstring centered on the 1/2 moon on my TS370. Can you take a pic of your arrow seated in the trigger box to see where the string is on the nock.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know how well you can see them, but there's the pictures. It doesn't do it all the time, I shot 6 arrows and it scratched 3, but there are zero differences between the ones it scratched and the ones it didn't, the nocks are all perfectly flush with the carbon. The bow has been shimmed so that the bowstring BARELY touches the rail and there is no downward pressure.
Also, as a guy fairly new to crossbows in general, I can see that the nock is not actually touching the string when cocked, is that correct?

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
No looks great. Do you have lots of downward pressure with your bowstring. Have you shimmed the riser/spacers to take bowstring pressure off the shooting rail? Once I did that it entered the string up into the center of the nock.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Nice photo! As I look at the string laying across the latched it does turn down (sag) in that area. I have seen the nock contact to the string be on the low side instead of the center. When this happens the initial force of the string will be pushing down on the nock instead of straight in the center of the knock. This could be causing the nock wear.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Also I should have added the style of half moon nock as something to do with this. If the moon nock is more of the vee style it is more likely to contact the string at an angle. The half moon nocks that have wider receiving area of less likely to cause an issue. I went to omni ten point knocks when I had an issue with this because if was too difficult to find quality moon nocks. Lately I am shooting Victory Xbolts which are good for me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tom - YES it is shimmed. The string BARELY touches the rail at rest. SPOT-ON-ARROW, how do I correct this?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Looking at this view it appears the string is definitely low of center of the nock. Look how much more of the nock body is exposed above the string as oppose to the below.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
T,
I ran into this on more than one occasion. I think sometimes the string just takes a set in the wrong way and sags down at the latch well.
I had the string flip over and it helps some. But another string with a tighter serving will possibly do the trick. Getting nocks with wider receiver will help.
Then finally having the customer service to address the issue.
Naturally the best results are to have the nock center aligned with the string's center or just below. The nock wear is aggressive.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts