Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you put the shims to fix the string hump? I put some on the top. So I need bottom also? Thanks

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
One just puts shims on the top between the rail-stock and the riser. They just have to be
thick enough so the bowstring barely touches the rail-stock to a credit card thickness gap
when the crossbow is in the uncocked position. Be sure to glue one side so as to keep the
shims in place, other wise they will pop out.
All the best.
Take care.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One just puts shims on the top between the rail-stock and the riser. They just have to be
thick enough so the bowstring barely touches the rail-stock to a credit card thickness gap
when the crossbow is in the uncocked position. Be sure to glue one side so as to keep the
All the best.
Take care.
Thank you. I finally figured it out. Not to get the string centered on the stops. Greatly appreciate the info.

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
The problem with Barnett's string stops is they are not adjustable. One requires adjustment when tuning a crossbow.
Examples: 1)string and cable adjustment, 2)advancing the cams either to match Barnett's advertised speed taking
into consideration the arrow-point weight combination or to gain speed.

On some of my Barnett crossbows, I have modified the Ten Point string stop system. If you were to go this route get
Bow Jax rubbers as the Ten Point do not seem to be cured properly and go mushy and split. Some of Barnett's narrow
axle to axle, shorter limb bows will not accept this system as there is not enough room between the cables and the riser.

One of the nicest systems I have found is used on the 2019 Carbon Express 390 Pile Driver. The rods can be moved forward
or back and rotated so the rubbers center on the bow string. These rods are offset. Feredyne sells a crossbow, the Rocky
Mountain RM series which is very similar to the Carbon Express. The Carbon Express is no longer in production.

Wishing you all the best.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem with Barnett's string stops is they are not adjustable. One requires adjustment when tuning a crossbow.
Examples: 1)string and cable adjustment, 2)advancing the cams either to match Barnett's advertised speed taking
into consideration the arrow-point weight combination or to gain speed.

On some of my Barnett crossbows, I have modified the Ten Point string stop system. If you were to go this route get
Bow Jax rubbers as the Ten Point do not seem to be cured properly and go mushy and split. Some of Barnett's narrow
axle to axle, shorter limb bows will not accept this system as there is not enough room between the cables and the riser.

One of the nicest systems I have found is used on the 2019 Carbon Express 390 Pile Driver. The rods can be moved forward
or back and rotated so the rubbers center on the bow string. These rods are offset. Feredyne sells a crossbow, the Rocky
Mountain RM series which is very similar to the Carbon Express. The Carbon Express is no longer in production.

Wishing you all the best.
Thank you for the information. So much to learn. Lol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was told today, by a Barnett rep that on the TS390 that the reason the stops do not line up was because the plastic pieces that connect to the bow were cured at the wrong angle. Their fix was to take them off, heat them with a heat gun and bend them until the steel post sat more at an upward angle, aligning with the string. After looking at them it made sense and may be an even easier fix? Just the messenger.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was told today, by a Barnett rep that on the TS390 that the reason the stops do not line up was because the plastic pieces that connect to the bow were cured at the wrong angle. Their fix was to take them off, heat them with a heat gun and bend them until the steel post sat more at an upward angle, aligning with the string. After looking at them it made sense and may be an even easier fix? Just the messenger.
Thank you. Will have to take a look at that.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
All the best.
Take care.
Bunnyrabbit, I am sure you wonder why manufacturers put so much angle in the string coming of the rails. What is the reason other than splitting the difference in the string angle over the rail and the cable angle under the rail possibly?

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
Bunnyrabbit, I am sure you wonder why manufacturers put so much angle in the string coming of the rails. What is the reason other than splitting the difference in the string angle over the rail and the cable angle under the rail possibly?
My thought on this is one group or manufacture builds the riser, while another builds the rail-stock.
Neither will admit an error or may not realize there is an error. The consumer buys the bow and may
or may not realize there is the problem.
If the consumer does see this problem and checks with a dealer to compare what they have set up
as a demo. The demo is the same so unless the dealer was notified, "that is normal" which it is not.

Adding the shims or for one that can get the front end milled properly, then the crossbow will perform
properly. The biggest advantage in correcting the problem is illiminating the downward pressure which
will greatly increase the life of the serving in the arrow latch area.

I have made the shim installation on 4 Barnett crossbows and one Carbon Express 390 Pile Driver and
it greatly reduced the serving wear. In addition I have added a layer of BCY .030 over the original. This
extra layer will only work for crossbows that use 1/2 moon nocks as there is no size restriction. The string
and cable set lists for approximately $90.00 U.S. By the time i receive it, I am in the ball park figure of $150.00
Canadian.

Importing from the U.S.A. into Canada is very costly due to the currency exchange on: shipping, the product
and on the import fees.

All the best.
Take care.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My thought on this is one group or manufacture builds the riser, while another builds the rail-stock.
Neither will admit an error or may not realize there is an error. The consumer buys the bow and may
If the consumer does see this problem and checks with a dealer to compare what they have set up
as a demo. The demo is the same so unless the dealer was notified, "that is normal" which it is not.

Adding the shims or for one that can get the front end milled properly, then the crossbow will perform
properly. The biggest advantage in correcting the problem is illiminating the downward pressure which

I have made the shim installation on 4 Barnett crossbows and one Carbon Express 390 Pile Driver and
it greatly reduced the serving wear. In addition I have added a layer of BCY .030 over the original. This
extra layer will only work for crossbows that use 1/2 moon nocks as there is no size restriction. The string
and cable set lists for approximately $90.00 U.S. By the time i receive it, I am in the ball park figure of $150.00
Canadian.

Importing from the U.S.A. into Canada is very costly due to the currency exchange on: shipping, the product
and on the import fees.

All the best.
Take care.
Thank you for the information. Greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts

Canadian.

and on the import fees.

All the best.
Take care.
Thanks Bunnyrabbit!
I like the shim for taking stress off the string serving. It might even improve accuracy and speed due to more free flowing release.
Not sure it is bad design because when the cables run under and thru the rail as opposed to the string going over rail top. Since they can't be on the plane manufactures or designers sort of divide the difference between the two routings. Then cams must be tilted to accommodate each cable and string.
Maybe they set priorities to get equal wear of each the cables and string.

So far I am sold on leaving my 1/16" shim installed.

Have a nice crossbow day!

·
Registered
18 Posts
What kinda glue did ya use to glue the alumini shims in with.I have some gorilla glue gel type super glue,green cap.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts