Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote: "but the trigger is the first thing I fixed on my Vortex."

Moon, can you elaborate on how you made the trigger smoother. I've done may own trigger jobs on various guns but feel intimidated by the looks of the trigger housing on the Vortex. Like it may fly apart and never be assembled the same. Any tips are greatly appreciated.
Edit/Delete Message

·
11,413 Posts
I'll tell you but first a few words about Excal triggers:

Generally Excal's triggers are quite good for crossbows. As a matter of fact I've only seen one that was not and it was my early production Vortex. Admittedly, I'm a trigger fanatic, probably resulting from years of shooting competition triggers on centerfire rifles and re-working countless triggers on various firearms.

WARNING: I do not recommend anyone try to modify or "fix" any brand of crossbow trigger. If it does not meet your requirements send it back to the factory but ideally you should shoot the brand and model of crossbow you intend to buy BEFORE you buy it.

I modified my Vortex trigger by first removing the hardness from the trigger and safety, then drilled and tapped a small hole for a trigger set screw that controls the amount of sear engagement. This is a fairly complicated job because once the sear engagement is set by use of the newly installed engagement set screw so there is no trigger drag or creep before release, you now have to remove just enough metal from the safety where it engages the rear of the trigger so the safety can be positioned to "ON". If you take too much metal off...........................:confused: Once the safety can be pushed up to the "ON" position with just a slight resistance, re-hardening should be done to the safety and trigger to make sure metal wear is not an issue resulting from long term use.The next step is final assembly. I use STP sparingly on metal to metal trigger/sear/safety parts. As you might guess, this procedure requires quite a bit of assembly and disassembly of the trigger system.

You are right about certain parts of the trigger assembly flying out. The spring loaded safety indentation metal ball can fly out.

Please heed the above warning. Crossbows, unlike vertical bows, can be dangerous due to the much heavier draw weights. An unstable trigger could result in disaster, not to mention voiding your factory warranty. One more reason NOT to try it:)

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Moon. Now that you have my attention I just may have to have a look.

·
211 Posts
wow, I never even noticed this thread...

I like posts like this... I've been working on improving my trigger some too but havent went near as indepth as Moonkryket has(yet anyway...), mainly because at this point I just dont trust messing with the trigger too far, especially on my main hunting bow... pretty impressive work though Moonkryket...

I kind of wanted to stay out of the trigger assembly too because it does state that it voids the warrenty if the actual trigger case is opened and I'd like to keep my warranty

I'm getting the idea lately that I want to pick up a "test" bow just to work out some ideas on without risking messing up my main bow, I'd like to dig into the trigger myself, I think there would be quite a bit a person could do to improve things, even if it requires machining new parts... I also have several ideas working up such as ditching the plastic stock entirely and mounting a .45 grip frame from one of my paintball guns, I also have an idea for a custom stock which I'm working idea-wise on integrating into the .45 grip, a custom foregrip, alot of weight reducing ideas, I even have an idea rolling around for reducing the limb width...

LOL, the curse of having an over imaginative mind...

alot of this is just ideas and will probably never come to be, however I have access to the machines and welders to do it and I've done alot of work just like this to various paintball guns, so anything is possible I guess... most of the guys in and around that machine shop, including myself, are gun buffs anyway so something like this is right up those guys' alley...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts